Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 03 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 04:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which strobes (up till 225$) to upgrade my Yongnuo 600 EX-RT ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan. (3 edits in all)

Sep 03, 2016 04:29 |  #1

At the moment I have 2 Yongnuo 600 EX-RT flashes.

I just watched this video to see the differences between speedlites & strobes.
https://www.youtube.co​m …mrzjL0hj3TM&fea​ture=share (external link)

For portraits a Flashpoint 320M 150Ws of $99 would be sufficient (1 sec recycling time).
The Alienbee B400 160Ws recycles in 0.5 sec but costs more than double $224.95 (smaller,lighter) and only 10ws more.

Mostly I do outside shoots, for a portait f8 with a 150W monolight would be sufficient (that 500W or 1000W to light up a basketball field would be a wast of money)
My question is : which comparable brands/types are likewise or even better -$225 ? (if really necessary $500 max :)

Speedlites usuale give 55ws to 60ws power, any idea how much power my 600EX-RT gives ?
Strobes have 150ws up till 2000ws power, so a serieus difference, even the cheaper ones have allready double power.

I found here a nice article about budget strobes :
http://www.dpmag.com …rdable-monolight-strobes/ (external link)

Which specifications are also important next to the output & recycling time ?

What I don't understand is that the Gn (Guide number) of my Yongnuo 600 EX-RT is 60 (so up till 60 meters)
And if I compare to this E300 strobe here, the Gn is only 58, so less power than my Yongnuo ?
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …c59e58:g:8uYAAO​Sw0UdXvmob (external link)

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 03, 2016 07:07 |  #2

CanonYouCan wrote in post #18115341 (external link)
What I don't understand is that the Gn (Guide number) of my Yongnuo 600 EX-RT is 60 (so up till 60 meters)
And if I compare to this E300 strobe here, the Gn is only 58, so less power than my Yongnuo ?
http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …c59e58:g:8uYAAO​Sw0UdXvmob (external link)

you aren't comparing apples with apples.

the YN600 has a guide number of 60m, but only when zoomed to its tightest zoom setting (i assume its 200mm like the Canon 600EX)
the E300 strobe will have a guide number of 58m with the standard reflector, which will have a much wider beam of light

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 03, 2016 07:23 |  #3

Thanks for the info, the next weeks i'm going to read about the different types of strobes and specifications, what is also important next to the power & recycling time.
There will probably be lots of types :) I hope an 150W like in the video will be sufficient for outdoor fashionshoots, otherwise I look for a 200-300W to be sure.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,867 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Sep 03, 2016 12:38 |  #4

I would second the 360 (older model pre TTL) as a best bang for your buck for outdoor work.
Of course nothing wrong with the ETTL version, just a few more hundred bucks.
Sadly, the Adorama is back up to full price. It is often on sale for $300.00 with battery, charger and wireless transmitter/receiver;

I believe if an AD200 materializes, it is simply going to be a TTL version of the original AD180 (flashpoint 180 from Adorama) The original non TTL Godox AD180 was in fact out about a year before the 360.

Price wise, when the 360 goes on sale, it is the same price as the 180, only slightly larger/heavier and a lot more light. IMHO this makes the 360 the no brainer of the group. If the 180 was significantly lighter I would consider it for portability, but really, a speed-light ends up being a more flexible argument for total portability.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 03, 2016 13:18 |  #5

I have a 320m, 620m, and Rovelight. 320m will lack power unless it's overcast IMO. You have to factor in how you'll powered it as well. If you get the optional battery pack for it you should know that recycle is significantly slower and you don't get many pops out of it. The battery also doesn't have a very long life span where the number of pops you get out of it will quickly decease. You'll need to get a Vagabond mini or something like that for shoots of any significant length.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 03, 2016 14:54 |  #6

What modifiers are all you flash portrait people using on your shoots? Can you wrap the light around your subject? Can you shoot in direct sunlight? I don't like these limitations with speed lights.

I shoot with 600EXs if I have to, but I pull out a monolight, umbrella and possibly a battery if I want great results.

sponsored links

2,295 views & 1 like for this thread
Which strobes (up till 225$) to upgrade my Yongnuo 600 EX-RT ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.