Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 07 Sep 2016 (Wednesday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon First to Discount EOS 5D Mark IV, with $200 Future Credit

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 07, 2016 22:30 |  #1

Just received this info from CPW

If you purchase a 5D Mark IV Camera Body or 5D Mark IV Body with 24-70mm Lens, you receive a $200 credit towards a future purchase at Amazon from their Camera, Photo & Video store. It’s usually not a problem to spend this credit, as the store includes many useful accessories such as memory cards, etc.

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links
71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,463 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 08, 2016 06:38 |  #2

I have a 10% off coupon at best buy making it $3150 before tax but I still think it's too much for it

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

Silver-Halide
818 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 08, 2016 16:23 |  #3

Im considering going with a 5ds or 5dsR given the IV's disappointments. Just my $0.02.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

CH_Devin
603 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2016 02:22 |  #4

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18121391 (external link)
Im considering going with a 5ds or 5dsR given the IV's disappointments. Just my $0.02.

What disappointments?

80mm

Silver-Halide
818 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 09, 2016 06:24 |  #5

Well we all have different priorities. I could care less about the video codecs, as well as the lack of 4K @60fps.

However, I recently watched Tony Northups review of the dual pixel raw file and its pretty much a joke. The memory cards are a big let down as well. I can kinda forgive the CF in lieu of a CFast card but the UHS-I for SD is just ridiculous. We'll have to see if the newer AF array, which is said to cover more of the frame, represents a notable improvement. I saw an image on DPReview of the old vs new superimposed over it and it didn't look much better. The camera will have to have 1+ stop of DR improvement in the base ISO and 1+ stop improvement in noise in the high ISO for me to even THINK about it. :-(

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,938 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Sep 09, 2016 07:02 as a reply to  @ 71sbeetle's post |  #6

the price is in line with every other 5d release, and hasn't gone up like everything else since 2005, at least at USD prices?

Last decade of 5D prices:
5D - $3300
5DII - $2700
5DIII - $3500
5Ds - $3700
5Dsr - $3900
5DIV - $3500

The 5D2 was one of the most lackluster releases of the 5D series and the price properly reflects that.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

CH_Devin
603 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 09, 2016 07:15 |  #7

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18122005 (external link)
Well we all have different priorities. I could care less about the video codecs, as well as the lack of 4K @60fps.

However, I recently watched Tony Northups review of the dual pixel raw file and its pretty much a joke. The memory cards are a big let down as well. I can kinda forgive the CF in lieu of a CFast card but the UHS-I for SD is just ridiculous. We'll have to see if the newer AF array, which is said to cover more of the frame, represents a notable improvement. I saw an image on DPReview of the old vs new superimposed over it and it didn't look much better. The camera will have to have 1+ stop of DR improvement in the base ISO and 1+ stop improvement in noise in the high ISO for me to even THINK about it. :-(

New sensor, higher FPS, better AF, and better ISO are good enough for an upgrade for me. Thanks for the insight. I saw the Northups video review too, but I thought the upgrades were fair enough for the timeframe between the 5D3 and 5D4.

80mm

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,938 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 09, 2016 07:15 as a reply to  @ Silver-Halide's post |  #8

Okay, so let's go through those points:

- greater DR, the 5D4 has 13.6 or more DR, well above the 5D3.
- greater high ISO, the 5D4 beats out the 5D3 by 1 stop, or more.
- the SD slot is no longer crippling the buffer speeds/fps like on the 5D3, so who cares if its UHS I, II, or X.
- DPAF is useful for more than this bokeh/AF shift you might get with the raw feature, I doubt that many people are going to shoot using that mode and have to deal with 70Mb+ files anyways. DPAF is much more than this raw feature.

So I am not sure what you are looking at or reading, but the technical folks have already gone through the raw file and DR and ISO testing to show these to be bonafide improvements over the 5D3. Not to mention there is a plethora of other new features and capabilities that puts it above the 5D3 and 5Ds/r (other than resolution of 30 vs 50 for these latter 2).

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

RhodyPhotos
999 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 09, 2016 11:51 |  #9

71sbeetle wrote in post #18120789 (external link)
I have a 10% off coupon at best buy making it $3150 before tax but I still think it's too much for it

Check the fine print on the Best Buy coupon. Says can't be used for Canon DSLRs (amongst many other items).

CC always welcome.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 09, 2016 20:13 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18122027 (external link)
The 5D2 was one of the most lackluster releases of the 5D series and the price properly reflects that.

Are you kidding? It was the GAME CHANGER when it came to video, no longer did you need a Pro level camcorder, a simple DSLR was good enough for TV shows and feature films. It changed Film making forever.

Sure in photography aspects it was a let down, but it made a huge impact on the world. More than any other 5D to be honest.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,463 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 10, 2016 00:59 |  #11

smallick wrote in post #18122343 (external link)
Check the fine print on the Best Buy coupon. Says can't be used for Canon DSLRs (amongst many other items).

Not on my coupon, works fine online

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

Silver-Halide
818 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Sep 10, 2016 23:00 |  #12

Well I got my hands on a Mark IV today. Yes, disappointed by the AF array. I did underexpose a contrasty shot by three stops and pump it in post +5.0, and wow: I'm impressed. SD card was SLOWER than the 5dIII with dual pixel raw enabled despite the UHS-1. :cry:

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,938 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 11, 2016 05:52 |  #13

1 dual pixel raw is equivalent to 3 5d3 frames.

sponsored links

2,850 views & 7 likes for this thread
Amazon First to Discount EOS 5D Mark IV, with $200 Future Credit
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.