Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Sep 2016 (Thursday) 07:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus box (point) displayed in Playback on LCD after photo taken

dhornick
665 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 08, 2016 07:34 |  #1

So I know in my mind how to ask this but putting it in words is tough.

I have seen professional photographers using a 5DM3 that when they take a photo and then review or look at it in Playback on the LCD screen of the camera that you can see the focus box right where it was on the subjects face on the screen in Playback after the picture was taken. Now I know it obviously will not print out like that but it is there in camera.

I can see the point, it gives good information and feedback to the photographer on where the focus point was during shooting.

Does anyone know how this is achieved? Is it a setting? Is it only specific to the 5D series? I have a brand new 6D and would love to know if I can change a setting to get this feature active on my camera.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 08, 2016 09:16 |  #2

dhornick wrote in post #18120839 (external link)
So I know in my mind how to ask this but putting it in words is tough.
I have seen professional photographers using a 5DM3 that when they take a photo and then review or look at it in Playback on the LCD screen of the camera that you can see the focus box right where it was on the subjects face on the screen in Playback after the picture was taken. Now I know it obviously will not print out like that but it is there in camera.
I can see the point, it gives good information and feedback to the photographer on where the focus point was during shooting.
Does anyone know how this is achieved? Is it a setting? Is it only specific to the 5D series? I have a brand new 6D and would love to know if I can change a setting to get this feature active on my camera.

This is where you do it on a 5D. Perhaps on your 6D it is done similarly?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,910 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 08, 2016 17:42 |  #3

Yes it will be in one of the menu settings, as far as I know it is available on ALL Canon DSLR's, well at least from the 10D and 300D bodies forwards. There is one thing to remember though, if you have switched the camera to use BBF only, and have removed the AF from the shutter button, something I would always do, then you only see the AF indication if you were pressing the focus button at the time you released the shutter. If you have pressed and released the AF is then turned off, so there is no AF point to show.

As well as on the back of the camera it is also possible to see the AF point in Canon's DPP software, and also in some other third party image management/viewing/pro​cessing programs. This is because the active AF point information is stored in the images EXIF data.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Northroad
25 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 08, 2016 22:10 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #4

Out of curiosity I just turned on the af point display on my 7D, and scrolled through about 900 shots on the card. I'm always in servo, back button focus and usually release the focus button before tripping the shutter, unless it's a fast moving bird. Anyway, the af point is displayed on all of the images.

7D,T2i,T1i, Canon 50mm f1.8,18-55 kit lens, 55-250, Tamron 28-75, Canon 100-400 L, Tokina 12-28,Yongnuo 560II, Think Tank Urban Disguise 35

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,209 views & 3 likes for this thread
Focus box (point) displayed in Playback on LCD after photo taken
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.