Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Sep 2016 (Saturday) 09:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice on camera settings

Evertking
346 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Sep 17, 2016 09:48 |  #1

My friend wants me to take pictures of her baby shower.. indoors.. fluorescent lights.. few windows..
I couldn't say NO, so.. I don't want to miss any shots fiddling with camera settings.
I will be using a Canon 5D and I have Flash if I need it.
I was thinking that my best bet would be to put the flash on the camera and set it to AV mode??

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,203 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 17, 2016 09:50 |  #2

Manual mode. Bounce the flash off the walls and use flash exposure compensation to adjust. Use your histograms to make sure your highlights aren't blown.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,609 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 17, 2016 10:07 |  #3

+1 for manual when using flash

Tom

TerryMiller
323 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Sep 17, 2016 10:13 |  #4

Aperture and flash exposure compensation control the flash exposure. Shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light coming in. Staying at max sync shutter speed will almost kill the ambient in a dim room giving just one light color. Slowing the shutter to 1/100 or 1/60 will allow more natural light and a brighter background but it could have a color cast.

my gear: T4i - EF-s 17-55, Ef-s 55-250 is stm, EF-S 10-22 usm, ef 100mm 2.8 macro

My ­ Baby ­ boy
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 24, 2018 13:58 |  #5

TerryMiller wrote in post #18130867 (external link)
Aperture and flash exposure compensation control the flash exposure. Shutter speed controls the amount of ambient light coming in. Staying at max sync shutter speed will almost kill the ambient in a dim room giving just one light color. Slowing the shutter to 1/100 or 1/60 will allow more natural light and a brighter background but it could have a color cast.

Bassat wrote in post #18130858 (external link)
+1 for manual when using flash

ok

My ­ Baby ­ boy
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 24, 2018 14:13 |  #6

Ok you guys I should not be here & I have no idea HOW I got here. You're all going to think I am really, really dumb. And I am!! All I started to find out was about what resolution settings I should use and to understand them, and here I am with the professionals!! Forgive me everyone!! I know absolutely nothing!, seriously. But while I'm here and someone has some spare time would someone kindly explain resolutions and what settings I should use for the best and sharpest pictures.

I don't even know if this is where I should ask a question! I wouldn't have gone forward to become a member but I was challenged by even getting here but the harder I tried the more competitive I got as far as jumping thru all the hoops and finally getting in. It ended up being a challenge and im known to never give up when faced with a challenge. So now you know how really dumb i am since i had trouble even getting here!!! By the way i use dumb jokingly! Thanks much & at least im sure i gave you a laugh for the day! Lol P.S. if someone does gave some sort of comment I'll probably never be able to know where to look to find it! Thanks again, and even tho I joke I am really sorry to have bothered you, hope you really do have a laugh!@

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 28, 2018 12:13 |  #7

Bassat, why +1 in manual? Shouldn't TTL sort that?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Gart
425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2018 16:01 as a reply to  @ Colin Glover's post |  #8

I think Bassat was agreeing with what Scrumhalf had posted.

Bassat
7,609 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 28, 2018 16:24 |  #9

Colin Glover wrote in post #18574531 (external link)

Gart wrote in post #18574690 (external link)
I think Bassat was agreeing with what Scrumhalf had posted.

Gart is correct. I was just agreeing with the fact that (M)anual mode is best for shooting with flash. My 'usual' flash settings are: 1/125 (adjust this for ambient), ISO 800 (go higher for bounce, lower for direct), aperture is subject matter dependent. All three settings area easily tweaked if the camera is in manual mode with a user-selected ISO. I usually rely on ETTL-II for flash exposure. Exception: studio work, then I use manual flash, too.

Tom

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,183 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 28, 2018 20:56 |  #10

Colin Glover wrote in post #18574531 (external link)

I will respond in lieu of Bassat...

Camera in M, flash in eTTL.
Camera in Av will set shutter speed so that it captures ambient light with the pre-set aperture...you COULD be trying to hand hold the camera when it is trying (futiley, for sharpness) to expose at exposure time of 1 sec. because you decided to set the aperture at f/5.6 for better Depth of Field with the flash illumination!
If you set camera on M, selected f/5.6 and 1/100, the camera would not be trying to hold the shutter open for a ridiculous length of time, but would instead be wholly dependent upon the flash illumination, which eTTL would help you to get the exposure right by telling the flash how much light to emit.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
7,609 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 01, 2018 02:04 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #11

Raising ISO will help with low ambient levels ETTL will adjust flash for ISO.

Tom

sponsored links

1,794 views & 4 likes for this thread
Advice on camera settings
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.