Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buyers Market for 5D III's?

jay125
THREAD ­ STARTER
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 22, 2016 18:18 |  #31

Thorsten wrote in post #18136126 (external link)
I haven't seen one go for $2200 in at least a year. Used prices were about $1800 before the Mark 4 came out (a bit more or less depending on condition), so prices did fall as expected but not by that much. FYI I bought a 5D3 earlier this year brand new from B+H for $2150 after rebate.

The $2,200 a couple of weeks ago was actually the Canon price new. I think Canon still has it listed for that price, a little less for B&H and Adorama. It looks like the prices are leveling off at about $1,500 for low shutter clean bodies.

feedback

gear list

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 22, 2016 18:25 |  #32

Zakna wrote in post #18136884 (external link)
I picked up my 5d3 for $1500 Cad which is $1138.48 US Dollar. It had like 220K Shots though, but I figured even replacing the shutter at that price is worth it.

I've seen 5d3s with 500k+ shots on them and still going. You'll probably be ok. Out of curiosity does anyone know what a shutter replacement costs?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

jay125
THREAD ­ STARTER
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by jay125. (2 edits in all)

Sep 22, 2016 18:38 |  #33

nqjudo wrote in post #18137136 (external link)
I've seen 5d3s with 500k+ shots on them and still going. You'll probably be ok. Out of curiosity does anyone know what a shutter replacement costs?

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember the shutters were replaced for about $300.00 to $400.00 usd

feedback

gear list

chicken12
116 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2016 02:44 |  #34

I was thinking of selling my 5D III and when I saw what the prices were going for decided to send it off to Lifepixel for a full spectrum conversion so I can use a variety of infrared filters. I get it back on Monday and am excited to play with it again. Check out Lifepixel if you guys are on the fence in selling your old body.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 23, 2016 09:16 |  #35

I did the same with a 5D2. 5D2 and IR are pretty much a perfect match.
5D3 will be just as good, but I think I'd feel awkward having an IR camera with the 5D3's AF and FPS ! My first IR Camera was an EOS D60,. like 1 frame every 4 seconds! :) :)

I was able to sell my MkIII finally, only $1,500.00, but it was face to face, so no shipping or fees, so not too bad I guess.

FYI, this is the first time I have tried to turn around a camera in this way. last time I was early adopter, it was 1D2 and 1D3, and in both cases I was in no hurry to sell the one it replaced, they just became back up/2nd body.

This si the first time I've had enough bodies that there is NO reason to keep the old, and frankly, I had to sell 5D3 to help justify/pay for the 4.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 23, 2016 09:43 |  #36

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18137650 (external link)
5D3 will be just as good, but I think I'd feel awkward having an IR camera with the 5D3's AF and FPS ! My first IR Camera was an EOS D60,. like 1 frame every 4 seconds! :) :)

I was able to sell my MkIII finally, only $1,500.00, but it was face to face, so no shipping or fees, so not too bad I guess.

FYI, this is the first time I have tried to turn around a camera in this way. last time I was early adopter, it was 1D2 and 1D3, and in both cases I was in no hurry to sell the one it replaced, they just became back up/2nd body.

This si the first time I've had enough bodies that there is NO reason to keep the old, and frankly, I had to sell 5D3 to help justify/pay for the 4.

Glad you got it sold finally Jake. The unit I sold was a secondary unit but I'm going to hold onto the other for a while. Even as I am becoming more familiar (and impressed) with the 5D4 I'm actually seeing the 5D3 in a more positive light. The 5D4 ticks off a lot of boxes for me in terms of customization but the 5D3 is still a beast of a camera at the core even 4+ years later.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,182 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 23, 2016 09:55 |  #37

chicken12 wrote in post #18137417 (external link)
I was thinking of selling my 5D III and when I saw what the prices were going for decided to send it off to Lifepixel for a full spectrum conversion so I can use a variety of infrared filters. I get it back on Monday and am excited to play with it again. Check out Lifepixel if you guys are on the fence in selling your old body.

I had this conversion done on two different bodies. The novelty wore off fairly quick but I was only a dabbler in IR back in the film days. Did you do the conversion because of a particular affinity for this type of photography? In any case please post some shots from it when you get it up and runnning.

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,015 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by rantercsr.

Sep 23, 2016 13:34 |  #38

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18137650 (external link)

my 5d3 had only a couple of hundred less clicks than yours,, and sold a few days ago for a little more .. but like you said i had to deal with some extras.. such as
eating the 3% paypal fees , paying for shipping .. and now keeping fingers crossed it arrives in good condiiton or that there are no complications with shipping

but aslo as i said before i just didnt want to have it for sale for months just waiting for the right person with loose pockets to pick it up for top dollar..having just bought a sony a7sii and a sony 16-35 , and a tripod , and an external monitor , and , and ,and ... plus my panasonic m4/3 has become my official street photogrpahy setup ..as the 5d3 was just too much weight for me and not at all discrete(for street shooting ). and i still have the t4i.. i just didnt need all theses bodies and the 5d3 was the one getting used least .
the 5d3 .. has been pretty much sitting there.. used it twice in the past 3 months .. pictures of new born neice and cousins portraits..

so i think , well see plenty of low shutter count 5d3's out there in this price range from people who just want to move on ... or who already have and are tired of seeing potentially $1500ish dollars sitting on a shelf

Its still an awesome camera , the 5d4 or sony a7whatever doenst suddenly make it a bad camera ..

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 24, 2016 13:02 |  #39

I want to sell mine, but now on the fence post. It's immaculate (really like 10/10) with less than 4000 actuations, original box and everything. I was thinking $1800, but when I see Jake only got $1500 I am a bit wary. How long before Canon discontinues the 5D III? I see brand new ones for $2100. Won't the used prices go up a bit after they are no longer available?

jay125
THREAD ­ STARTER
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2016 14:05 |  #40

manderson wrote in post #18138966 (external link)
I want to sell mine, but now on the fence post. It's immaculate (really like 10/10) with less than 4000 actuations, original box and everything. I was thinking $1800, but when I see Jake only got $1500 I am a bit wary. How long before Canon discontinues the 5D III? I see brand new ones for $2100. Won't the used prices go up a bit after they are no longer available?

It's been suggested that the prices might rise a little once the availability of used ones grows slim. Mine is like yours, ~4k clicks, clean and 9/10 only because it's not new. I'm sort of sitting back for awhile to see where the market goes. My guess is they will level off in the 1500-1700 usd range, but that's my purely uneducated guess.

feedback

gear list

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,315 posts
Gallery: 429 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Sep 24, 2016 15:06 |  #41

manderson wrote in post #18138966 (external link)

jay125 wrote in post #18139020 (external link)
It's been suggested that the prices might rise a little once the availability of used ones grows slim. Mine is like yours, ~4k clicks, clean and 9/10 only because it's not new. I'm sort of sitting back for awhile to see where the market goes. My guess is they will level off in the 1500-1700 usd range, but that's my purely uneducated guess.

Just wondering...if you guys only have 4K clicks on your 5D3, why do you want to sell them? How long have you owned your cameras?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

jay125
THREAD ­ STARTER
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2016 15:39 |  #42

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18139077 (external link)
Just wondering...if you guys only have 4K clicks on your 5D3, why do you want to sell them? How long have you owned your cameras?

For me, about 2 1/2 years. It was a back up to my 1D4. Being a back up for me kept the clicks down. I'm not sure I'm selling mine, I'm just watching the market. I don't need to sell it, and it is an amazing body. That's what surprised me when I started seeing how low they are going for. Of the bodies I've seen sold, only 1 have over 200k clicks. The rest seem to be low mileage and I had expected them to sell for a little more. Even though it was a back up, there were times when it was the right camera for the job.

feedback

gear list

manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 24, 2016 15:40 |  #43

The last few years I have been traveling a lot for work, and sadly I don't have extra time to take the camera with me. I've been in many parts of the country where it would have been wonderful to take a weekend shooting with the 5DIII, but my jobs have been travel on Sunday or Monday, get the job done and catch a flight home to get ready for the next job.

The travel has slowed down and I am working from home a lot now, so I would like to sell the 5DIII as is and get the most I can for it in order to finance the Mark IV purchase.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,665 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 24, 2016 16:26 |  #44

This is a good question, and totally fair. In my case I did buy the 5D3 to be my primary camera, with 1D3 as back up. (this was after a fairly extended period of little to no shooting due to family and work) I found 5D3 had better AF, and better IQ and fast enough to be my "action/wildlife camera". However within months I bought a great used 1D4, (sold the 1D3) and it quickly became my main shooter for most of what I shoot. 5D3 became 2nd shooter, or primary indoor shooter. Most of what I do is wildlife, so the 1D4 was getting more use.

Then along came 7D2, I should have sat tight, but one day I walked out of Hunt's with it and a new Thinktank bag. Now 7D2 managed to become the most often packed, and used. 5D3 got relegated to 3rd place for action, but still 1st place for events/indoor etc.

At this point I may retire the 1D4, with 7D2 and 5D4 likely always being chosen ahead of it.
I was surprised to see my 5D3 had only amassed 7.5K shots! But on the other hand, it just was never shot with the kind of rapid action that I put on my old 1D bodies.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

jay125
THREAD ­ STARTER
on the happy gas
10,703 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 24, 2016 16:35 |  #45

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18139143 (external link)
This is a good question, and totally fair. In my case I did buy the 5D3 to be my primary camera, with 1D3 as back up. (this was after a fairly extended period of little to no shooting due to family and work) I found 5D3 had better AF, and better IQ and fast enough to be my "action/wildlife camera". However within months I bought a great used 1D4, (sold the 1D3) and it quickly became my main shooter for most of what I shoot. 5D3 became 2nd shooter, or primary indoor shooter. Most of what I do is wildlife, so the 1D4 was getting more use.

Then along came 7D2, I should have sat tight, but one day I walked out of Hunt's with it and a new Thinktank bag. Now 7D2 managed to become the most often packed, and used. 5D3 got relegated to 3rd place for action, but still 1st place for events/indoor etc.

At this point I may retire the 1D4, with 7D2 and 5D4 likely always being chosen ahead of it.
I was surprised to see my 5D3 had only amassed 7.5K shots! But on the other hand, it just was never shot with the kind of rapid action that I put on my old 1D bodies.

That's a great point. It's easy to rapid fire 10 fps with my 1D4.. With my 5D3, I was more concentrated on getting the image in one.
And to be totally honest, I think I sort of babied my 5D3. No reason for it, I just think maybe subconsciously I didn't want to mess it up. The 1D4 is a beast, and I had no issues toting that around. The 5D3 was more of my "lets get serious, here" body.  :p

feedback

gear list

sponsored links

6,207 views & 17 likes for this thread
Buyers Market for 5D III's?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.