Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 06 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 flash / strobe personal experience - review?

oharing
524 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 06, 2016 15:33 |  #1

Is there anybody who uses the Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 for Canon or Nikon cameras?
How is its recycle time? Does the radio work properly?
Hod does it work? Any experience? I would like to use it for wedding photography.
Thanks for you input!

Miami Wedding Photographers (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,029 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 08, 2016 22:44 |  #2

I use the Sony variant for weddings every weekend.
They are reliable, well built and the X system radio control is as good or better than the Canon 600EX-RT radio system.

Get the Lithium Ion battery version. Much better not having to lug around an external battery.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

MysticFalcon
215 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 08, 2016 05:27 |  #3

I just went all flashpoint lighting. I have 2 of the TTL and 2 of the Manual units. I also have the transmitter for the cam and recievers for my studio lights. The Recievers work for supersync on my Studio lights which is great.
The recycle time is basically what Im used to. It seems right in line with other units. No specific test on it but it didn't surprise me either way.
My only complaint is I would like a quick attatch instead of the spin until tight on the hot shoe.

Made the Fuji Switch
X-T2 | X-T20 | 18-55 | 55-140 | 100-400 | 8mm FE | 23mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | 56mm 1.2
www.NEKPics.com (external link)

ma11rats
894 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 12, 2016 23:29 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #4

I was curious if you ever use yours on camera to fire other r2 radios(mine are SL360 w/ r2 receivers).

I've noticed that my Zoom on camera, when put into Gr only stays in Gr for 1-4 shots, then pops out into a different screen. Usually the one with ratios. When I finally get it back into Gr mode, it's put all the groups back to 1:1.

I'm at a loss for why it's doing this. I cannot find any info on this specific problem on 3 forums.

I use Canon.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

owenegan
276 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 12, 2016 23:42 as a reply to  @ ma11rats's post |  #5

I have seen this behaviour when the camera involved is a pre-2012 body. Is yours, by any chance?

ma11rats
894 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 12, 2016 23:46 as a reply to  @ owenegan's post |  #6

It's always happened on my 6d.

www.matthewbeutelphoto​graphy.com (external link)
6D, 80D, 35f2IS, T 85f1.8VC, T 24-70f2.8VC, T 17-50f2.8

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,029 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 16, 2016 22:04 |  #7

ma11rats wrote in post #18211626 (external link)
It's always happened on my 6d.

I've never owned or used a 6D. However, when I was testing the Cells II firmware for Cheetah/Godox to confirm its compatibility with the Post 2012 cameras the 6D was a problematic camera. The firmware in the beta device worked with my 5DIIIs and other post 2012 cameras but had a problem with the 6D.

I have no idea what the cause was then or what Godox has found out about it since.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,027 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2016 17:00 |  #8

I'm having to adjust to the zoom... the canon flashes typically required a +2/3 or +1 when bounce flashing but it seems the zoom you leave it on 0. Sometimes I have to do -1/3

The temps are not as consistent but it's the camera mostly. Overall I have no issues with mine. I have two zoom speedlights R2 and two 360 TTL and two manual 360s. one of my zoom r2's head twists around very difficult so I may send it in for another one. Excellent deal for sure even at the full price.

I found vs. the 600RT that the zoom r2 was 1/3 not as powerful. Big whoop unless you combine 3 total then your talking 3 600rt would be 1 stops more powerful than the 3 zooms.

I'm happy with my swap to the flashpoint stuff vs the canon. Here is a bounce flash example... nothing fancy just capturing the wifes birthday.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or. (2 edits in all)

Dec 17, 2016 19:29 |  #9

Talley wrote in post #18216003 (external link)
one of my zoom r2's head twists around very difficult so I may send it in for another one.

This is due to the heavy grease that Godox uses so sending your flash back is not going to solve your problem. I have complained to Godox about this since day one and it is the main issue I do not sell my 600EX-RT's to go all Godox. As hard as the Godox heads are to swivel could cause failure of the camera hot shoe.

I've tried to get Godox to change the way the heads tilt and swivel to be more like the Canon 600EX-RT or even the Phottix Mitros+ or the best would be to change it to the design of the AD360II. The worst part of the Godox Speedlite design is the tilt/swivel is so cheasy. Add to that the thick ole military surplus grease they use and you have a really great flash with a major design flaw.

I've tried different methods of flushing out the grease or lubricating the head but in the end the only way I found to permanently solve the issue was to disassemble the flash and wipe away the grease and replace it with a less viscous grease. It has helped immensely but first I do not recommend this unless you know what you're doing and secondly the design of the tilt/swivel is terrible,even when it does move freely. Which is probably the reason they use the thick grease.

Rand

Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,004 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 17, 2016 23:14 |  #10

That's strange. I like the way mine tilt and swivel, and it's definitely better than Canon and YN flashes I have. My Zoom R2 is pretty smooth and I like the fact that I don't have to press down the button.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 17, 2016 23:35 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #11

So you're the one person Godox was trying to make happy....I figured out a long time ago that it wasn't me. :-P

Rand

Gear

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,004 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 17, 2016 23:40 |  #12

Could the difference be depending on whether it's from Godox or rebranded like Flashpoint which is the one I got?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,027 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 17, 2016 23:59 |  #13

agv8or wrote in post #18216095 (external link)
This is due to the heavy grease that Godox uses so sending your flash back is not going to solve your problem. I have complained to Godox about this since day one and it is the main issue I do not sell my 600EX-RT's to go all Godox. As hard as the Godox heads are to swivel could cause failure of the camera hot shoe.

I've tried to get Godox to change the way the heads tilt and swivel to be more like the Canon 600EX-RT or even the Phottix Mitros+ or the best would be to change it to the design of the AD360II. The worst part of the Godox Speedlite design is the tilt/swivel is so cheasy. Add to that the thick ole military surplus grease they use and you have a really great flash with a major design flaw.

I've tried different methods of flushing out the grease or lubricating the head but in the end the only way I found to permanently solve the issue was to disassemble the flash and wipe away the grease and replace it with a less viscous grease. It has helped immensely but first I do not recommend this unless you know what you're doing and secondly the design of the tilt/swivel is terrible,even when it does move freely. Which is probably the reason they use the thick grease.

Flashpoint has wonderful service. They'll send me a new one till I find the one that works to my liking.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 50mm 1.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,971 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 18, 2016 00:03 |  #14

SYS wrote in post #18216268 (external link)
Could the difference be depending on whether it's from Godox or rebranded like Flashpoint which is the one I got?

It shouldn't make any difference, the Flashpoints aren't "assembled in Jersey"

They all come out of the same factory, same assembly line, same parts and same employees.
Stickers/paint is the only physical difference.
Also I have two flashpoint and two Godox, and they function in the same fashion.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,029 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2016 21:47 |  #15

SYS wrote in post #18216268 (external link)

As CDS points out, the definition of an OEM manufacturer is that they private brand the product for the customer.
They have contracts with multiple resellers for specific numbers of parts per month. The ONLY change in the assembly line is the application of branding silkscreened to the parts.

sponsored links

6,531 views & 7 likes for this thread
Flashpoint Zoom TTL R2 flash / strobe personal experience - review?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.