Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Oct 2016 (Thursday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for wide angle lens advice...

coatfetish
72 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 20, 2016 20:02 |  #1

I am hoping to get a wide angle lens next spring/summer, and I think I'd prefer a prime lens (although I'm open to suggestion). I have the Canon 40mm pancake now and I love it, but I'd like something wider since I have crop sensor bodies and I don't get the full effect of 40mm. Not a lot of $$ to spare - so not an L lens for me - but I would like something that will work well in low light. This will be used for landscape only and I want as little barrel distortion as possible, as I don't have software to correct it. I'm hoping to stay under, say, a $650 budget? Is that reasonable? I've bought rental lenses before and had no problem so used is fine (and will help keep it affordable for me). I have a mix of Canon and Sigma lenses now and I've been very happy with Sigma - so non-Canon is fine too. What do you suggest? I think a 28mm translates to approx. a 44mm on my 50D and 60D bodies- do you think that would be wide enough to let me take broader landscapes and not have much distortion? Many thanks in advance for any opinions!

sponsored links
peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2016 20:05 |  #2

I know its not a prime but the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is a fantastic lens. if you can find it without the IS (I think they call it VC) its even better.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

dochollidayda
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 20, 2016 20:29 |  #3

Have you considered Canon 15-85? Its an EFS lens but I cant say enough good things about it. 15 mm is reasonably wide.

Another option would be used 10-22 which is UW and is a stellar performer.

You can also consider 17-40L but on a crop 17mm isn't that wide. But you will be using mostly the centre of the lens on a crop body so that makes it a worthy contender.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,170 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 20, 2016 22:56 |  #4

what other lenses do you have? a wide angle prime on a crop is going to be pretty limited as far as availability...there just aren't many options out there? you want a lens that's good in low light for landscapes? a tripod would probably better serve you there, unless you're trying for astro stuff

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 21, 2016 00:39 |  #5

Also for ULTRA wide tokina has an 11-16 2.8 that is quite fantastic as well.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,928 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 21, 2016 02:07 |  #6

Some nice, manual focus 12 to 14mm primes out there with fast apertures. Have a look in the lens sample galleries for inspiration/perspirati​on

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,286 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 22, 2016 12:43 |  #7

coatfetish wrote in post #18162481 (external link)
I am hoping to get a wide angle lens next spring/summer, and I think I'd prefer a prime lens (although I'm open to suggestion). I have the Canon 40mm pancake now and I love it, but I'd like something wider since I have crop sensor bodies and I don't get the full effect of 40mm. Not a lot of $$ to spare - so not an L lens for me - but I would like something that will work well in low light. This will be used for landscape only and I want as little barrel distortion as possible, as I don't have software to correct it. I'm hoping to stay under, say, a $650 budget? Is that reasonable? I've bought rental lenses before and had no problem so used is fine (and will help keep it affordable for me). I have a mix of Canon and Sigma lenses now and I've been very happy with Sigma - so non-Canon is fine too. What do you suggest? I think a 28mm translates to approx. a 44mm on my 50D and 60D bodies- do you think that would be wide enough to let me take broader landscapes and not have much distortion? Many thanks in advance for any opinions!

Heya,

EF-S 10-18 or EF-S 10-22 would be a good start.

Or, the EF-S 15-85 if you want a "do all."

If you feel you need F2 or F2.8 aperture, look at the Rokinon 16mm F2.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 22, 2016 13:23 |  #8

Thank everyone for so many ideas and things to check out! I will definitely be looking up what I can in the sample galleries now that I have a good starting point. As for a tripod, I'm doing better at actually using mine, I just tend to be a hand-held kind of person.

DreDaze, my current lenses are; the Canon 40mm EF STM, which I love, a Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM, a Sigma 180mm F2.8 EX APO DG HSM OS Macro, and the two lenses I bought seven or eight years ago with my 50D; a Canon - EF 70–300mm f/4–5.6 IS USM and a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I'm looking to replace the 18- 55mm, as I'm just not happy with it - maybe because I prefer to go hand-held...I do like what I can get in the image at about the 20mm mark on it, so I should probably use that as a guide. I'd like to replace the 70-300 in time, too.

Again, thanks for all the responses - you've all been a great help in giving me options to look at!

windpig
Chopped liver
14,889 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 22, 2016 15:50 |  #9

EFs 10-22
Great lens.
Great FL range.
I currently use a fujinon 10-24 on a XT-1

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,086 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2016 15:58 |  #10

coatfetish wrote in post #18163911 (external link)
Thank everyone for so many ideas and things to check out! I will definitely be looking up what I can in the sample galleries now that I have a good starting point. As for a tripod, I'm doing better at actually using mine, I just tend to be a hand-held kind of person.

DreDaze, my current lenses are; the Canon 40mm EF STM, which I love, a Canon EF 100mm f/2 USM, a Sigma 180mm F2.8 EX APO DG HSM OS Macro, and the two lenses I bought seven or eight years ago with my 50D; a Canon - EF 70–300mm f/4–5.6 IS USM and a Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I'm looking to replace the 18- 55mm, as I'm just not happy with it - maybe because I prefer to go hand-held...I do like what I can get in the image at about the 20mm mark on it, so I should probably use that as a guide. I'd like to replace the 70-300 in time, too.

Again, thanks for all the responses - you've all been a great help in giving me options to look at!

What is the problem with the 18-55mm IS? Its successor the 18-55mm STM is excellent and goes to a very useful wide angle. If you need ultrawide, you have already received good suggestions.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 22, 2016 16:03 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #11

I dropped it a few years ago and it's never been quite right since then. I agree the suggestions for lenses are very good and I've started looking into them...I'll add the 18-55mm STM to the list, thank you!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,003 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 23, 2016 08:23 |  #12

coatfetish wrote in post #18164014 (external link)
I dropped it a few years ago and it's never been quite right since then. I agree the suggestions for lenses are very good and I've started looking into them...I'll add the 18-55mm STM to the list, thank you!

The new 18-55 STM is by all accounts actually quite a good lens optically, and a definite improvement over the old IS version, especially if it is a version 1 IS lens. I remember when 28mm on the 35mm film format was considered to be a really wide angle lens, and anything shorter was pretty specialized. So the 18mm on an APS-C sensor is just about the same field of view. Of course things change, and now UWA's are very common, and surprisingly the smaller format, which should favour long lenses over wide, offers some of the best, and cheapest, access to UWA lenses on DSLR's. So once you have replaced your standard zoom I would have a serious look at the 10-18mm STM lens. The price is pretty good, especially if you are in the US where you have access to the Canon refurb store, and from the test shots I tried with one it would seem to be a good choice for someone who would not be shooting with it every day, or trying to push the boundaries of UWA use. That is the situation I am in, and having tried one one my camera in store it is now on my lens acquisition list.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 24, 2016 06:28 |  #13

Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX HSM
its an older lens but still quite good, just check out the sample forum
You can probably find a used one for around 200 bucks or less

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Nethawked
797 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Oct 24, 2016 13:02 |  #14

dochollidayda wrote in post #18162495 (external link)
Have you considered Canon 15-85? Its an EFS lens but I cant say enough good things about it. 15 mm is reasonably wide.

Another option would be used 10-22 which is UW and is a stellar performer.

You can also consider 17-40L but on a crop 17mm isn't that wide. But you will be using mostly the centre of the lens on a crop body so that makes it a worthy contender.

The 15-85mm was hands down my favorite lens with Canon APS-C bodies. The 10-22mm was an excellent lens as well. A bit of a learning curve in composition but really fun to take photos with.

coatfetish
THREAD ­ STARTER
72 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 25, 2016 23:16 |  #15

So many excellent suggestions to research! Having so many options to look at is actually helping me narrow down my wants and needs for a wide angle lens - helping me to think this through with better focus on what I want to achieve with the lens. Thank you!

sponsored links

6,907 views & 11 likes for this thread
Looking for wide angle lens advice...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.