Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 21 Oct 2016 (Friday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Unwriteen rules?

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 21, 2016 21:21 |  #1

Signing up says I agree to the rules, written and unwritten.

If they are unwritten how does one know what they are?

Does not seem like a rational statement at all, more like religious crap.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 21, 2016 22:11 |  #2

Deardorff wrote in post #18163419 (external link)

Conduct yourself like you're in church & you won't have any problems here. And welcome to POTN!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 21, 2016 22:18 |  #3

That was written by people interested in developing a photography forum. Not lawyers. It is obviously a catch-all to allow ownership/moderation the ability to deal with any situation whether it is specifically addressed in the written rules or not. In short, you and everyone else is a guest here. Act accordingly.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

JWdlft
311 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 22, 2016 07:05 |  #4

Rule 3.6 says something about religion and politics.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,660 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 22, 2016 07:16 |  #5

There is only one rule and that is: You Must Obey All the Rules.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

Deardorff
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 22, 2016 10:41 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18163443 (external link)
Conduct yourself like you're in church & you won't have any problems here. And welcome to POTN!

Roll around on the floor, handle rattlesnakes, cry and scream in tongues, sacrifice chickens and smear blood around?

Don't really want anything to do with churches. Especially those that believe in cannibalism like bread and wind literally turn to flesh and blood.

Just asked as the 'rule' doesn't make sense and looks like so many as a catch-all for censorship.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,068 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2016 10:47 |  #7

Deardorff wrote in post #18163817 (external link)
Roll around on the floor, handle rattlesnakes, cry and scream in tongues, sacrifice chickens and smear blood around?

Don't really want anything to do with churches. Especially those that believe in cannibalism like bread and wind literally turn to flesh and blood.

Just asked as the 'rule' doesn't make sense and looks like so many as a catch-all for censorship.

Why are you here?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,840 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Oct 22, 2016 11:22 |  #8

I understand the business about unwritten rules as a reminder to use common sense.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 22, 2016 11:32 |  #9

If you don't like censorship then you might be interested to know that censorship features are built into every member account. A member can place any other member on an 'ignore list', blocking all of the activities of the ignored member from view. For future reference if you don't like the terms of service, not accepting them and moving on is a more mutually beneficial approach than accepting them and making a stink about it.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,210 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 22, 2016 13:48 |  #10

You need to get more out of your own bubble. The world is full of unwritten rules. You don't spit in somebodies face and do don't poop on somebody else' lawn. If you go to an other country / place / family you'll care about them and figure out how to be a good guest. Unwritten rules are what holds societies together and it is up to the newcomer to figure them out.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,784 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Oct 22, 2016 14:12 |  #11

The unwritten rules:

1. Do not question the rules, especially the unwritten ones
  2. Do not ask for a list of the unwritten rules
  3. Do not expect a response to the questioning of any of the rules, especially the unwritten ones
  4. At any time whatsoever, any of the unwritten rules may be reclassified to be written rules

The unspoken rules:

• Never use your left hand to hold the camera grip, use only your right hand, as it is a violation of the rules of photographic etiquette to use your left hand for anything except the basest of tasks.
  • Do not wipe your optics or blow your nose with Kimwipes, or risk damage to both.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 23, 2016 07:29 |  #12

Heh!

There is a "written" rule that says, simply, "Don't be a jerk"...

But, since people vary widely in their interpretations of a statement like that, there is at times the need for a moderator to step in, either to ask for better manners, or if needed to either delete a post, lock a thread from further comments, or even remove a thread. So, maybe it's not just one person being a jerk, but maybe a whole thread gets too messy...and then an "unwritten rule" may have to go to work!

But for most of us, well, we see the POTN forum as a good-natured community, we are happy to interact in positive ways, nothing "like religious crap" about it!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 23, 2016 07:46 |  #13

Whoa. Just a friendly heads-up; this isn't a regular unmoderated insult-fest drivel-fueled forum in any way.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

sponsored links

2,709 views & 6 likes for this thread
Unwriteen rules?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.