Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 26 Oct 2016 (Wednesday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Comparison of different telephoto lenses on different Mp size bodies

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
I just hold the thing :-)
9,918 posts
Gallery: 2420 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 27, 2016 18:38 |  #16

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18168471 (external link)
To the OP...

Are you considering buying an 80D for aviation photography?

The 80D isn't the first camera to come to mind when thinking about aviation. Usually it's the 7DII.
The 80D doesn't pack all the performance of the 7DII, but it has 4 more Mps and better DR than
the 7DII (at least according to DPR). And it's less expensive.

While surfing flickr I came across these 80D aviation photos. I believe the photographer is a fellow
forum member here. Pretty impressive 80D aviation images, I say!

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/private_custar​d/ (external link)

Cant afford the 80D nor the 70D but if I stay with Can ? could possibly afford a well used 60D.

P.

Finally got it right I think - Nikon D7500, Nikon 300 F4 PF, Nikon 1.4 X mk3 TC

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,057 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2016 18:36 |  #17

Pagman wrote in post #18168892 (external link)
Cant afford the 80D nor the 70D but if I stay with Can ? could possibly afford a well used 60D.

P.

I see a couple of 60Ds on WEX at £341, which means that you won't have enough for a half decent tele-zoom, even out to 300mm, let alone 400mm. I would think that you might just stretch to a 55-250 IS, and by all accounts it's a better lens, cropped to match 300mm than any of the 300mm options that are not going to break £500 on their own. I know it adds a little to the price, but I would rather spend the extra and buy from one of the well known dealers, since you get the protection that legally comes from a dealer, plus they generally want to protect their reputations, so are not likely to try to screw you over.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2016 18:57 |  #18

BigAl007 wrote in post #18169854 (external link)
I see a couple of 60Ds on WEX at £341, which means that you won't have enough for a half decent tele-zoom, even out to 300mm, let alone 400mm. I would think that you might just stretch to a 55-250 IS, and by all accounts it's a better lens, cropped to match 300mm than any of the 300mm options that are not going to break £500 on their own. I know it adds a little to the price, but I would rather spend the extra and buy from one of the well known dealers, since you get the protection that legally comes from a dealer, plus they generally want to protect their reputations, so are not likely to try to screw you over.

Alan

Thanks mate - I have a few sites saved in my faves including LCC and Cameraworld sometimes gear pops up with them that is quite resonable like Nikon D7000 for just under £300 and sometimes independent 400mm zooms between £300 - 500, but even them are out my budget - just no wriggle room.

P.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,057 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2016 19:34 |  #19

Pagman wrote in post #18169870 (external link)
Thanks mate - I have a few sites saved in my faves including LCC and Cameraworld sometimes gear pops up with them that is quite resonable like Nikon D7000 for just under £300 and sometimes independent 400mm zooms between £300 - 500, but even them are out my budget - just no wriggle room.

P.

I like WEX since it is my choice of local camera shop anyway. We have a LCC branch in Norwich too, but generally compared to WEX they are usually a bit more expensive for secondhand. Also for LCC secondhand kit they won't send product to another branch, so it's mailorder only, since they are actually a franchise company, and all the shops are independent. Jessops has reopened in Norwich too, but they are on my **** list, they opened a store in a building where there is no lift, and converted the first floor store room into a showroom/training suite, with all the decent DSLR gear in the "Pro" upstairs area. My view of this as a wheelchair user is that it is illegal under the DDA. The staff said that if I would like to tell them what I wanted to look at they would bring it down to me. My answer was that I wanted to browse, since I didn't know what they had (I'm unfortunately not psychic) so they had better bring everything down so that I could see what they had. That was of course refusedvmad. Guess I should go see a lawyer, and book one of their training courses as it could be a £5000 to £10000 payout for a breach of the DDA. I could happily go spend that in WEX.

Alan

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2016 19:48 |  #20

BigAl007 wrote in post #18169895 (external link)
I like WEX since it is my choice of local camera shop anyway. We have a LCC branch in Norwich too, but generally compared to WEX they are usually a bit more expensive for secondhand. Also for LCC secondhand kit they won't send product to another branch, so it's mailorder only, since they are actually a franchise company, and all the shops are independent. Jessops has reopened in Norwich too, but they are on my **** list, they opened a store in a building where there is no lift, and converted the first floor store room into a showroom/training suite, with all the decent DSLR gear in the "Pro" upstairs area. My view of this as a wheelchair user is that it is illegal under the DDA. The staff said that if I would like to tell them what I wanted to look at they would bring it down to me. My answer was that I wanted to browse, since I didn't know what they had (I'm unfortunately not psychic) so they had better bring everything down so that I could see what they had. That was of course refusedvmad. Guess I should go see a lawyer, and book one of their training courses as it could be a £5000 to £10000 payout for a breach of the DDA. I could happily go spend that in WEX.

Alan

I used to use a site on Ebay and have had a few cams and lenses from them over the years, thier only fault is they do tend to deal in a lot of lower grade (quality) equipment, but have also brought off me when needed, they are also UK midlands based dont know if you have heard of them - The Photographers Bag?.

P.

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2016 19:51 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #21

Would you touch a cam that was not working but advertised on Ebay if it simply wont turn on but is fairly cheap?

P.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,118 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2016 20:30 |  #22

Pagman wrote in post #18168888 (external link)
I did some math on the linear edge comparing the percentage difference between a 24mp and 16mp long edge linear, and it works out at 22% if you cropped the 24mp linear edge down to the same as the 16mp.
But to reach 400mm FOV by cropping alone as said above would require a crop down to 13.5mp.

P.

Just to be sure, you understand that the FOV only changes because of a change in focal length or sensor 'format', right? If you have a 16 and a 24mp sensor that are both APS-C, and using the same focal length, your FOV will be the same.

I'm at work, but I'll try to throw you a couple of examples of the difference just using a higher resolution sensor makes this weekend (I've still got my 40D and 7D1 running around). They won't be 'pretty' but they should show you the image and subject size differences [SUBject's actually the same size relative to the rest of the frame, but requires less enlarging to get to the same viewing size]

In your posited example, I would go with the 80D + 300, myself.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2016 21:57 |  #23

Here's my conundrum folks -

I have about £550 to play with around xmas and tbh i want to stay with Nikon(I know :rolleyes:) anyway I have seen second hand gear with two possible scenarios -

A D7000 and a Tokina 80-400D giving me 16Mp and 400mm for £550, or
D7100 and a 70-300Vr giving me 24Mp and 300MM for about £560.

The 70-300Vr is very good (I know i used to own one and have posted pics on here using it) the Tokina is supposed to also be very very good especially if its stopped down, and would give the extra 100mm.

So what opption would be better - get the D7100 with 24mp and 300mm lens and crop, or get the D7000 with 16Mp and Tokina Lens of 400mm and not crop?.

Sorry its about Nikon I did try to find a canon equiv.

P.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,118 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2016 22:22 |  #24

Pagman wrote in post #18169999 (external link)
Here's my conundrum folks -

I have about £550 to play with around xmas and tbh i want to stay with Nikon(I know :rolleyes:) anyway I have seen second hand gear with two possible scenarios -

A D7000 and a Tokina 80-400D giving me 16Mp and 400mm for £550, or
D7100 and a 70-300Vr giving me 24Mp and 300MM for about £560.

The 70-300Vr is very good (I know i used to own one and have posted pics on here using it) the Tokina is supposed to also be very very good especially if its stopped down, and would give the extra 100mm.

So what opption would be better - get the D7100 with 24mp and 300mm lens and crop, or get the D7000 with 16Mp and Tokina Lens of 400mm and not crop?.

Sorry its about Nikon I did try to find a canon equiv.

P.

Are these being sold as two, different kits that you're looking at? Is that why there's no consideration for the D7100 + 80-400? Or does that combination just extend outside your budget?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2016 22:26 |  #25

Snydremark wrote in post #18170015 (external link)
Are these being sold as two, different kits that you're looking at? Is that why there's no consideration for the D7100 + 80-400? Or does that combination just extend outside your budget?

Its just the price difference between the two -

I was wondering if having 300mm and cropping to 400mm would be worse than getting the 400mm Tokina?

P.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,268 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 28, 2016 22:39 |  #26

Pagman wrote in post #18170017 (external link)
Its just the price difference between the two -

I was wondering if having 300mm and cropping to 400mm would be worse than getting the 400mm Tokina?

P.

You would have to try both but I would go with the D7100 and a 70-300Vr. The 7100 is a really nice camera and though I've never used the 70-300VR, I have heard lots of good things about it and taking a look at it at Digital Picture, it looks on par with the Canon 100-400 which a way better than the Tokina.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,057 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 29, 2016 04:14 |  #27

I too would go with the 300 VR on either body, since it also brings the VR to the table, something the Tokina lens distinctly lacks. Something very useful since it really helps when shooting propellor driven aircraft at sensible shutter speeds. Sticking with a Canon comparison the Tokina is going to be closer in IQ to the 75-300 USM III, rather than any of the 70-300 lenses, and miles from the 100-400 V1. It's only really been since the advent of the 150-600s that the third party manufacturers have matched the quality of the 100-400 V1 at the long end of lenses that are longer than 300mm. Also not knowing Nikon does the D7100 have screw drive? As the Tokina, and a lot of other really cheap third party lenses in the F mount require it for AF to function. It seems that Nikon are really good at not specifically mentioning it, relying instead on users knowing the model specifications for the various lenses themselves.

I haven't heard of the Photographers Bag, but as well as WEX and LCE having shops, and doing secondhand cameras in Norwich there is a really good small independent camera shop: Philip's Cameras which is secondhand only and covers the full range of film and digital. It's a proper little Aladdin's cave of kit. I think he will ship, but he's not the type to have a website. The shop is open Wednesday to Saturday 09:30 to 16:30 and the shop is at: 22 Wensum St Norwich, it's next door to the Ribs of Beef! (a very good and well known Norwich pub great for lunch) Tel: 01603 625261.

No I would NEVER buy a camera that did not switch on. Well not unless it was a very modern one, and was under £10. Since all it is is a source for spare parts. I'll leave those to the repair people. Also remember that whatever the issue is is likely to be the common one that causes the fault, so even if you but several they are all likely to have the same fault, and thus not even provide you with a source of a working spare part.

Snydremark since Pagman is going to be regularly cropping his images by 60% to 80%, even with a 800mm lens he would be doing extreme crops, every little bit of linear resolution is going to be important to him. For the sort of images he takes the difference between 16 MP and 24 MP could be the difference between being left with 2 MP or 6 MP in the final image.

Alan

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 29, 2016 04:25 |  #28

i'd buy a sigma 150-500OS...and an older body...its certainly capable of aviation shots...and from what i've seen that you are looking for its more than capable

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Pagman
THREAD ­ STARTER
9,918 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 29, 2016 10:04 |  #29

This is what I was getting with my D7100(24mp) and 70-300Vr, The first pic - the plane was at about 8000ft I shot it at 300mm and f8 I then cropped the picture to 1964 pixels long edge.
And the second one was a airways shot the plane was about 15 miles away, and was again at 300mm f8 this shot was cropped to 1719 pixels long edge.

When i used to own this set up(not anymore) I was convinced that the focus system on it was not stellar, but as I am going through my pictures now in LR5 I am discovering better ways of getting better looking pictures that are sharper and with more clarity.

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,057 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 30, 2016 08:15 |  #30

DreDaze wrote in post #18170131 (external link)
i'd buy a sigma 150-500OS...and an older body...its certainly capable of aviation shots...and from what i've seen that you are looking for its more than capable

So would I, but Pagman is very unlikely to find a 150-500 OS for £500 let alone add a body. Personally from the Canon perspective I would want at least a 40D for the 14 bit RAW files, the 14 bit files I have looked at seem much more malleable than the 12 bit, and they are still pushing towards £200. 50D's from a dealer are still pushing £250 in excellent condition, which is what my 50D cost me 2.5 years ago. When it comes to secondhand cameras I have noticed that WEX have increased the price of 7D's by about £100 in the last five or six weeks. They had a lot at around £375, now they are all over £450. I know exchange rates are affecting new prices, but I fail to see why they are pushing secondhand so hard, unless it is significantly increasing demand. It is hard to know what the sales numbers are like when they generally always seem to have three or four bodies on the website.

Alan

sponsored links

6,904 views & 11 likes for this thread
Comparison of different telephoto lenses on different Mp size bodies
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.