Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Oct 2016 (Friday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Jugling

Kirby
185 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 28, 2016 10:50 |  #1

This might be a silly question as I've been into photography for over 40 years, but here goes.
I've never been able to adequately master the technique of changing lenses in the field. Frequently I'm in a muddy or wet area so there's no opportunity to set one on the ground. Having to deal with back caps, a 70-200 in one hand and a 17-40 in the other is quite awkward. What are your recommended steps for changing a lens on a tripod in the field?

"It's the photographer's task to explore,photograph and share with others... that which they otherwise might miss" -William Neill

sponsored links
bpalermini
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by bpalermini.

Oct 28, 2016 11:16 |  #2

When I know I'm going to be changing lenses a lot I use the Think Tank Retrospective Lens Changer 3 (external link) bag. It has three "tubes" to store lenses. If you keep one empty, (only carry two lenses plus the one on your camera) when you change lenses there is a safe place to put the one you are taking off, then you can take the one you want out and put it on without the juggling. With the case flap, and if I am changing lenses often, I don't put the front or rear caps on.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,409 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 28, 2016 11:52 |  #3

Heya,

1. Lens one comes off and goes into a bag, while camera is on a strap.

2. Lens two comes out of a bag, and gets put on the camera, which is on a strap.

3. Carry on...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,510 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2016 11:54 |  #4

I usually grip the lens I intend to swap to down close to the mount, and use a pinching, twist with my index finger and thumb to remove the lens cap, mount the new lens and then swap both lens caps on to the lens being removed once I've freed up the hands. Holding the second lens either under my arm or cradled in the crook of my elbow, while manipulating the rest of the rig. That's worked pretty well for the last 10 years, for me; never dropped a lens and I can swap 'em pretty quickly.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,313 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 28, 2016 11:55 |  #5

Not sure I understand the problem because your camera is on a tripod allowing BOTH hands being usable.

1. Take rear cap off new lens
2. Remove old lens and put rear cap on it
3. Install new lens

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,134 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 28, 2016 12:04 |  #6

Kirby wrote in post #18169505 (external link)
This might be a silly question as I've been into photography for over 40 years, but here goes.
I've never been able to adequately master the technique of changing lenses in the field. Frequently I'm in a muddy or wet area so there's no opportunity to set one on the ground. Having to deal with back caps, a 70-200 in one hand and a 17-40 in the other is quite awkward. What are your recommended steps for changing a lens on a tripod in the field?

The key is to limit the number of items you are holding at one time.

If you only handle two items at a time, no juggling is required.

Using the neck strap to hold the body, I remove one lens, put it into bag, etc, then mount the other. When the 2nd lens goes on, that is when the rear cap from that lens is put on the lens that was just removed.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2016 12:15 |  #7

Put the beer down first?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

DutchCorps
301 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 28, 2016 12:16 |  #8

Kirby wrote in post #18169505 (external link)

Maybe this helps, double (canon) mounts. Looks handy.

https://www.peakdesign​.com/product/clips/cap​turelens/ (external link)

Success,

Regards,
René.

Snydremark
18,510 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2016 12:57 |  #9

DutchCorps wrote in post #18169573 (external link)

Success,

Regards,
René.

That's one of the few designs those guys have come up with that I don't think really hits the mark. Lenses are bulky; having them hanging right at your belt line means you're going to be whacking them with your wrist/forearm pretty reliably or having to walk unnaturally to keep your arm clear of those items.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,313 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Oct 28, 2016 13:06 |  #10

Yes, another solution to a nonexistent problem. ;-)a

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,887 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2016 13:16 |  #11

Along the lines of what bpalermini wrote, I use the Think Tank modular belt system, which includes a very nicely constructed lens changer bag, the idea being to always have empty except when changing lenses. When I'm about to change lenses, I take the back cap off the lens I'm about to put on the camera body, (that lens is in a separate pouch on the belt), remove the existing lens from the body and drop it in the lens changing bag, attach the new lens to the camera body, then put the cap on the lens in the changing bag and store the lens in its pouch on the belt. It works very well when working without a tripod or in a tight area without any place to safely put things down.

All New Year, All New Sig !

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,211 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2016 13:32 |  #12

i was really looking forward to a juggling lenses video...

if it's not a big lens like my 120-300 my procedure is usually:

grab new lens i want, take off rear cap

-hold it in one hand
-with other hand remove the lens on camera(using side of my pointer finger to press the release button)
-put new lens on
-put rear cap on old lens
-pick up beer

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Snydremark
18,510 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2016 13:43 |  #13

Alternatively, you can go with the pattern my old Spanish teacher taught us during a power outage...hold a lens in one hand, two in the other, toss one from the 'double hand', then the single, catch the first lens in the single hand, toss the remaining one in the 'double hand', catch the second lens in the now empty hand, continue cycling tosses and catches :D

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Oct 28, 2016 15:41 |  #14

nathancarter wrote in post #18169572 (external link)
Put the beer down first?

Sacrilege! NEVER, EVER, EVEN IN A GUNFIGHT, DO YOU PUT THE BEER DOWN! One must have priorities! :)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2016 16:09 |  #15

DutchCorps wrote in post #18169573 (external link)

Success,

Regards,
René.

I use this on my messenger bag and it works great. No way I'd use it on my belt but on bags it works great. Now I just wish they had a Fuji mount!

sponsored links

3,696 views & 22 likes for this thread
Lens Jugling
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.