Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 10:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Commission/kickback for team photos?

Conradebner
410 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 02, 2016 10:56 |  #1

My daughter and son play sports and I cover their play and shoot the team and the opponent in hopes of parents purchasing the images. It has worked out fine and I enjoy it. My daughter has joined a new club volleyball team this year. They are new in the fact that this is their first year of operation and have split from another group. ANYWAY, I have the ability to get the contract for the team photo's and the individual photos. My question is, what % should I "give back" to the organization as a contribution/advertisi​ng in order to secure the deal. What range or % should I offer?

Thanks

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II
Www.IE3photo.com (external link)

sponsored links
Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 02, 2016 11:22 |  #2

Every league is different- I've seen contracts run anywhere from 0% - 25%. I'm on the board for my local little league, so I've seen a variety of options.

Most common is 10-20%. Are you shooting just the one team, or an entire league of club teams? If it's just the one team, you may be better off doing a barter for them- get your daughters team fees waived for doing the T&I photos.

Another option is to have an add on item that all the profits go to the group- for example the team photo, a mug, keychain, etc. Cost $X and the entire $X amount goes to the league.

Our current contract gives us 15% of the total orders, 100% of the $5 keychain add on, and a $1,500 bonus (paid in the first year) for signing a 4 year contract. The league is a larger one- around 750 kids, so the bonus was well worth it for the group who does the images- average order last year was around $40/player.

Conradebner
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 02, 2016 13:55 as a reply to  @ Qlayer2's post |  #3

this is a new club team. I would be doing it for the club here in town. They have about 120 players. I talked to the lady in charge and she said that they had not thought about doing T&I shots! I explained to her that usually some $$ gets returned to the team to help the "scholarship" fund assist those who cant pay for all the travel involved. The add-on thing seem like a good idea, especially if it is a bag tag or something they can use for the individual player.

Thanks for your ideas! We plan to meet with the head of the team next week and I plan to have an idea/plan to present!

1DX, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L, 300 2.8L IS, 200 2.8L, 7D, 40D, 100 2.8 Macro, 580EX II

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 10, 2016 08:01 |  #4

Kickbacks are an extortion racket by these sports clubs and leagues. If you get right down to it this type of demand/requirement to get the photo contract is probably illegal and maybe even RICO illegal on a Federal level.

Have photographed sports for news for decades and would never do team stuff that required kickbacks.

If you want to donate, fine. But paying kickbacks is not.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

HammerCope
795 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by HammerCope.

Nov 11, 2016 11:54 |  #5

No kick backs. If they want to hire me fine. They will get photos for there fee. If I'm there on speculation then its all mine.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Conradebner
THREAD ­ STARTER
410 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Nov 11, 2016 17:12 |  #6

Let me clarify, I am wanting to give back to them as I always do for some teams/kids who may not be able to afford a good shot. I simply didn't know what to title this post. I know from reading many posts for school picks, the school expects a cut of the action. Thanks for all of y'alls input. I think we are going to suggest a bag tag with the girls pic on it as the item that all proceeds go back to the team.

sponsored links

1,902 views & 1 like for this thread
Commission/kickback for team photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.