Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestion for Canon User new to Fuji System

monty87
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2016 15:42 |  #1

I have been a canon shooter for many years. Currently I use 5D Mk3 with various L lens. I shoot lot of landscape, cities, travel photography, occasional portraits, and humming birds at home. I had been looking into getting mirrorless for lightweight travel option, but did not want to sacrifice the quality of what I get from my 5DMk3.

I was able to find one XT-2 in stock at Bestbuy online and ordered it with, along with 18-55mm, 10-24mm, and 55-200mm lens. (Initially I was going to pull the trigger on A7rII with metabones adapter, but read focus performance issue with the canon lens and metabones adapter. And with the Fuji system I was able to get the camera and 3 lens for about the same price as the A7rII body only).

So I could use any suggestion/recommendat​ion coming from shooting Canon FF DSLR to the Fuji X system. I have a 8 day trip coming up next week to Dubai, and I am looking forward to using the Fuji there. I have not looked into getting any filters yet. (I have the LEE ND filter system for my 5dkmk3. Not sure if those filters are usable with an adapter on the Fuji).

Currently I am planning to keep both systems and see what works for what situation. But in the future I would like to stick to one system...if possible.

Monty - http://umang.photograp​hy/ (external link)

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 12, 2016 15:55 |  #2

Hey there. I'm a Canon shooter with a secondary Fuji X system. Every time I've tried a new system (Fuji included) I've found it somewhat crippling at first. There's just a lot to learn and a lot of muscle memory to overcome. I can't honestly say that getting a new system and leaving on a trip with it is the best way to become acquainted and comfortable with it. I would suggest that you download the manual immediately, get as much practice as you can before leaving and give it some time after you get back before making a final decision. As for your concern about quality I think you'll find the Fuji exceptional. The RAWs are very robust and the ISO performance very tough to beat for APS-C.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 12, 2016 16:18 |  #3

Welcome to Fuji from another new-adopter.

No suggestions coming from Canon to Fuji as I came from Nikon FF, but the system is very easy to use. I picked up my camera one evening from a local seller, and the next day brought it along to a shoot without reading the manual or anything. I ended up using the Fuji more than my FF body, and the images just blew me away!

Not sure what your style is, but maybe consider picking up a couple of quick primes, they are truly sublime and seriously rival the best from Canon/Nikon.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

monty87
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by monty87.

Nov 12, 2016 16:30 |  #4

I have been reading a lot about the x-t2 and not worried about the quality, and really excited to use it. I can't get any primes now as I went slightly over budget. (I am at the point where what homeland security does not know does not hurt her  :p)

For my upcoming trip I got 2 additional wasabi batteries with charger. Will I need more if I keep them charged overnight.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,446 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2016 16:52 |  #5

monty87 wrote in post #18182757 (external link)
I have been reading a lot about the x-t2 and not worried about the quality, and really excited to use it. I can't get any primes now as I went slightly over budget. (I am at the point where what homeland security does not know does not hurt her  :p)

For my upcoming trip I got 2 additional wasabi batteries with charger. Will I need more if I keep them charged overnight.

2 extra batteries is a good idea. For the price I'd buy more since these batteries do not last that long.

You can get away with alot using the 18mm @ f/2.8 with the high iso capabilities of the X-T2.

You will be shocked how nice the images turns out with a very affordable 55-200 zoom. If you use a 16-35 f/2.8mk2 or even the newer f/4IS you'll find that the Fuji 10-24mm is a remarkable lens.

The 18-55 kit lens does a fantastic job. Fuji did a great job in producing very high quality images with this kit lens. I'd say it's more on par with a 24-105L mk1 as far as image quality goes.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 12, 2016 17:15 |  #6

You'll get 300-400 shots per battery so for travel three a day should be good. Nothing that you shoot will be a problem for the X-T2 to capture but I also second the primes they are great to shoot with. I came from the 5D3, there is little I miss and so much more I enjoy now.

Figure out the electronic shutter, spot metering matched with the AF point & preview image in screen on/off so you can see what you get or in the dark...
There is so much to set up it'd be a long list that differs for most. If you Lee system is the square kind you'll just need the few adaptors to mount it to the lenses otherwise step up/down rings. Happy shooting.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

monty87
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2016 17:49 |  #7

Thanks for all the suggestion.

I ordered two more wasabi batteries. My Lee system is the square ND filters and rectangle (100mm) ND grad filters. Not sure if the grad ones will be two big.

I just checked LEE's site and the 10-24mm lens has a 72mm filter diameter, so I dont need to invest in their mirrolerss filter line (Sev5n system). I just need to get the ring adapter.

Lumens
447 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 13, 2016 07:30 |  #8

I switched from Canon to Fuji and now I only use my Fuji. However the difference is a bit of a culture shock. Took me a while to get used to the aperture adjustment being on the lens and most the settings on dials.

The Fuji is no different than a DSLR but things are in different places. The best advice is read the Fuji manual and when you think you've got it read it again.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Furlan
738 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 13, 2016 08:14 |  #9

If your old enough using the Fuji is like riding a bike, second nature.

monty87
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 13, 2016 14:20 as a reply to  @ Lumens's post |  #10

So to change the aperture you don't change the dial on the camera, but on the lens. So if you are on A mode, does changing the aperture on the lens, adjust the shutter on the camera electronically ?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 13, 2016 15:01 |  #11

monty87 wrote in post #18183405 (external link)
So to change the aperture you don't change the dial on the camera, but on the lens. So if you are on A mode, does changing the aperture on the lens, adjust the shutter on the camera electronically ?

Yes

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Furlan
738 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Nov 13, 2016 15:47 |  #12

There are some Fuji XF lenses that the aperture is adjusted via the command dial. Another thing to look into if your on a budget are Fuji XC lenses optically quite good
but plastic construction including the lens mount. The 16-50 mm and the 50-230 mm selling now for $199.00 each.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,183 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 14, 2016 14:00 |  #13

I came from FF Canon > Sony A7 > X-E2 & the Fuji is lovely to use for sure. Yes, I'll miss my old manual lenses no longer having the same FF 'look' but I don't think I'll miss much else ;)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 14, 2016 15:34 |  #14

I would customize the camera so different Fn buttons can do things like change Face detect, adjust AF from single point to zone, size of AF point area and things like that. On my XT1, I shoot 100% manual like my 5dmk3. I use aperture rings for aperture and front dial for ss as my ss knob has gotten stuck. As long as you don't switch between normal use and flash/studio strobe, things are easy between 5dmk3 and XT.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

monty87
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 14, 2016 18:47 |  #15

Just got my package right now. Very excited to dive into it. Have been busy reading up and re-searching more on the prime lens line up. I am looking into selling my Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and EF 85mm F/1.8 lens and getting some X primes. I have not used these two lens much and they have been just collecting dust.

Are there any Fuji equivalent to these canon prime lens. These two are my favorite EF lens.

EF 135mm F2.0
TSE-25mm F/3.5 II. (This has been my favorite landscape lens )

After reading up more the electronic shutter it now makes sense the popularity of the fast prime lens.

sponsored links

8,383 views & 15 likes for this thread
Suggestion for Canon User new to Fuji System
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.