Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Nov 2016 (Tuesday) 22:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens hood 1 - 0 stupid photographer

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,023 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 15, 2016 22:36 |  #1

And yes, I am going to admit up front to being the stupid photographer.

I was preparing to go out for a shoot and took my 100-400 mkII of the camera and lay it down on the kitchen counter. (The really stupid part being that I didn't stand it on it's end). I had previously removed the lens foot as it got in the way when I was shooting so the lens rolled across the counter and fell three feet onto the concrete floor :(

Luckily I always have the lens hood fitted in the reverse position and this absorbed the impact and saved the lens from being damaged.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,673 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Nov 15, 2016 22:39 |  #2

That tripod foot ultimately has a purpose, after all!

Standing up the lens, on end, simply affords you the greater opportunity to knock it over with your forearm or elbow!

Next time, just loosen the tripod mount and rotate it out of your way for handholding the lens.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,126 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 15, 2016 23:31 |  #3

Living in earthquake country and in an old house where level surfaces can't be assumed, I've made a habit, when setting down anything important that has the shape of a narrow cylinder, of orienting it so that if it starts to roll, it'll hit something stable to stop its motion.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Dan ­ Marchant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,023 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 16, 2016 02:05 |  #4

OhLook wrote in post #18185778 (external link)
Living in earthquake country and in an old house where level surfaces can't be assumed, I've made a habit, when setting down anything important that has the shape of a narrow cylinder, of orienting it so that if it starts to roll, it'll hit something stable to stop its motion.

My lens hit something stable.... the concrete floor :(

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,851 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 16, 2016 04:20 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18185826 (external link)
My lens hit something stable.... the concrete floor :(

Gravity sucks, as they say;-)a, glad the lens is OK. I have dropped lenses before too, mine wasn't onto concrete, but cobblestones, I picked up my supposedly zipped up backpack camera bag, by the top handle, from the back of the car. The ring of the "protective filter" did at least stop the filter thread from getting damaged, the broken filter glass made a small mark on the front element. The lens seems to work fine, with the exception that it now seems a little more prone to flare. I didn't bother to replace the filter, being of reasonable quality and being an 82mm it cost about 60% of what I paid for the lens in the first place.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 16, 2016 09:07 |  #6

A couple incidents:

I was out with my grandson at a scene of a small river with waterfalls and "tidepools" and such, we were sitting at the bed as I snapped photos. My grandson picked up my camera bag, and out tumbled my 70-300 IS lens, out and into a pool! I had to scramble down into the dang pool to fetch it!

Well, back at my place, I set my oven to a low/warm setting and put the lens in with the oven door part way open. and after a few hours I checked, it still showed moisture inside, so more heating. After about 2 days I checked it out, and voila, the lens worked, AF, IS and all!

Not so happy about the time I was out doing some street shooting. I had my 50mm f/1.4 in my bag, on my car seat. A friend went and pulled it out, and the lens fell out and hit the pavement. The 50 is a bit notorious for having an AF that can get pretty messed up, and that was the case -- I couldn't myself fix the thing and so I sold it to another photographer for dirt cheap!

One more thing, I had a fair amount of activity with my Canon 85mm f/1.2, an amazing and expensive lens, but the time came when I had to sell stuff to pay bills, including the 85. Well, someone came over to check things out and noted that there was a crack on/in the lens case, down by the base! Well, I hadn't dropped that lens, but I guess it had seen some rugged use, I checked it out and the crackage showed down the body and into the rim where the lens hooks up, so it was a mess.

I brought the lens into a shop, with some parts documentation, and a helpful tech took it in and repaired it and gave it back to me for $120, not bad at all, the lens sold in a heartbeat!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,637 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 19, 2016 23:32 |  #7

People can never understand why I put my lenses on the floor or on the ground. I figure that a slight kick - if it should happen - is always better than a 3ft drop.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

1,586 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lens hood 1 - 0 stupid photographer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.