Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 18, 2016 13:59 |  #31
bannedPermanent ban

kjonnnn wrote in post #18216795 (external link)
I WAS addressing that issue because the OP said they would lose files. Thats why I inquired how. As for the links issue, I would never think of using dropbox with permanent links for photo sharing. That doesnt make make sense to me.

Yeh, Dropbox isn't really a photo sharing site with permanent links to the photos. It's really a site where you "drop" files so others can get those files.

sponsored links
dodgyexposure
Goldmember
2,872 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 18, 2016 17:18 |  #32

Hogloff wrote in post #18216801 (external link)
Yeh, Dropbox isn't really a photo sharing site with permanent links to the photos. It's really a site where you "drop" files so others can get those files.

This is what I use it for, primarily - as a method of delivering photos.

I have archived copies of a few items there, but rely on separated hard drives for complete archives. Where I live, internet speed is low enough that regular cloud archiving chews up the available bandwidth to an irritating degree.

Cheers, Damien

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by EOS-Mike.

Dec 29, 2016 11:09 |  #33

I can't speak for or against Dropbox as I never accepted their pricing. I went with Copy by Barracuda and at first was quite happy. It was just like Dropbox but was significantly more generous with the amount of storage.

Then I got a notice that it would be dissolved, killed, ended. I had to make sure all those files were backed up. They then shut down the service.

And it seems every company kills their stuff eventually.

Twitter cancelled Vine. Twitter is ending Periscope. Google ended a whole boatload of online services over the last few years. Facebook makes random changes constantly and Instagram keeps adding features and changing their format. Now ads pop up, the order is random, and it's a bit messier than it once was. Plus, social media is at the whim of what the cool kids like, be it MySpace, followed by Facebook, twitter, instagram, Snapchat, etc.

I even quit SmugMug because they don't allow RAW storage under their normal pricing structure. Plus their prices got higher for commercial uses.

I gave up on the internet as far as trust is concerned. Now I use it to occasionally keep up with friends, send email, shop, read about photography, etc.

My current storage is my computer hard drive and a WD MyCloud. Two places. If one goes out I'll make another backup so that I still have my pics in two places.

I'm over all these companies that constantly alter perfectly good services. They simply cannot be trusted. And it's not because they are dishonest or unethical. They are trying to either stay relevant in a rapidly changing world or are trying to increase profit. But I don't want to participate anymore.

Sony A7 III and some lenses

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,875 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 29, 2016 11:50 |  #34

mathogre wrote in post #18215710 (external link)
All of my linked photos will be shown as a white box with an x. Yay. If you use the Dropbox public folder, your photos will receive the same treatment.

For years and years I have been encouraging members here to share photos as attachments instead of as linked photos. Yet very few people seem to do so. I cannot understand this.

With the linked photos, so very many of them end up as little blank squares after a few years. Ever go back and look at photo-sharing threads from 2005 or 2006 or 2007? I do it all of the time, but it is frustrating because so many of the photos are gone. If people would attach everything, all of the photos would still be there.

mathogre wrote in post #18215710 (external link)
You *could* in theory go back and relink photos, but woe to anyone who has an award winning photo in your gallery. You can replace the link, but your award goes away.

That really sucks, and is one flaw with the way photo-sharing and awards are handled on this forum.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 29, 2016 11:53 |  #35

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18226619 (external link)

For years and years I have been encouraging members here to share photos as attachments instead of as linked photos. Yet very few people seem to do so. I cannot understand this.

With the linked photos, so very many of them end up as little blank squares after a few years. Ever go back and look at photo-sharing threads from 2005 or 2006 or 2007? I do it all of the time, but it is frustrating because so many of the photos are gone. If people would attach everything, all of the photos would still be there.

That really sucks, and is one flaw with the way photo-sharing and awards are handled on this forum.

But doesn't this site put more limits on attached images vs linked? I believe one of the rules says something to the effect of "Don't use POTN as your gallery"

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,875 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 29, 2016 16:39 |  #36

mike_d wrote in post #18226623 (external link)
But doesn't this site put more limits on attached images vs linked? "

Only when it comes to how many images you show in a post. With attached images, we are limited to two per post. With linked images, I think the limit is either 6 or 8.

It is bothersome when people post 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 images to one post - if one can't make their point with one or two images then perhaps they should re-consider how valid their point is.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,000 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2016 17:58 |  #37

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18226936 (external link)
Only when it comes to how many images you show in a post. With attached images, we are limited to two per post. With linked images, I think the limit is either 6 or 8.

It is bothersome when people post 4 or 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 images to one post - if one can't make their point with one or two images then perhaps they should re-consider how valid their point is.

That may be true on occasions, but at other times you may have a series of interlinked images that you are using as a photo essay, or some other similar reason. For example I started doing a series of posts in the Transportation photo sharing forum, where I posted a series of images of aircraft with an alphabetical theme, complete with a potted history of the companies and types featured. I usually get it down to 8 images, but some of the more prolific famous manufacturers have needed two posts of 8 images to cover everything. Here is a link to the first of them, and there are links to all of the others in each of the threads. Looking back at the first, I seem to have got a bit more comprehensive in the writeups as I have gone along. It takes me two to three hours to write each one of them. I have slowed down my rate of posting them recently, I guess I'll have to do something about that.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 30, 2016 09:17 |  #38

mike_d wrote in post #18226623 (external link)
But doesn't this site put more limits on attached images vs linked? I believe one of the rules says something to the effect of "Don't use POTN as your gallery"

I have seen people put over 30 images in when they start a thread! That's certainly over the line, wouldn't you say?
Personally, I usually try to attach the two best images, & maybe link up to 6 more.
And don't forget that POTN gives you a gallery that you can use, too.

The rule:
In the "Share" areas IMAGE POSTING RULES specifically state: "Do not use the forum as your image gallery, post only the best of the best and link to the rest."
This means we allow 2 attachments by the OP per thread, OR 8 embedded (linked) images, OR a combination of 2 attachments + 6 embedded (linked) images, totaling 8 per thread. (Maximum 1280 pixels on any side.) You can always just post a link to more, though, or better yet, post a link to a gallery so we don't have to click on each image link.
Some exceptions are group threads, like "Show Me...", "Post your best...", equipment reviews, Tutorials, etc.
You may add a few additional photos if requested, but only in a reply to other member's post and request.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 01, 2017 17:25 |  #39

I don't link too much anymore but what is wrong with someone buying their own domain and webhosting server and slamming together their own photo gallery website of some sort?

I've done this for years and the cost is little. Webhosting is around $4/mo and the domain usually cost about $10/yr. the byproduct is you host whatever you want and you have your own email addresses too.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links

5,683 views & 12 likes for this thread
Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.