Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

Pippan
Goldmember
1,226 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 02, 2017 01:06 as a reply to  @ post 18230390 |  #256

Yes, amazing to think a simple lament about lost mojo could have sparked such a debate. It's been a very interesting debate though.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

sponsored links
DutchinCLE
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 02, 2017 07:25 |  #257

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18230390 (external link)
My god, what have I started!?

haha, i'd say you started the MOST hijacked thread of all time. From lost interest to the meaning of Art..
Congrats, I think.

Bas
Flickr (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 02, 2017 08:45 |  #258

It might be of interest, for those contemplating a career in professional photography...
what might be your average income as a professional photographer during last five years?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,786 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2017 09:34 |  #259

chauncey wrote in post #18230589 (external link)
It might be of interest, for those contemplating a career in professional photography...
what might be your average income as a professional photographer during last five years?

Chauncey I was going to stay out of this thread, for the obvious reason but this seems to be a bit more on track so I will respond. I don't like to talk $$$ but I will say this. I live in a fairly high cost of living area.

Property taxes are high here but like they say location, location, location. I can say this; taxes got paid. Mortgage got paid. Car payments paid. Insurance; biz, equipment and liability, health and life paid. I have usable equipment and that's paid for. A couple of vacations a year. The wife gets some new shoes from time to time and when lucky I put some $$$ away. And a base that gives me some freedom to do work for myself. Living the dream, not much different than any other profession.

You still haven't answered my question.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 02, 2017 09:41 |  #260

You still haven't answered my question.

Aah, what question was that?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

airfrogusmc
35,786 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 09:49 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #261

Define artistic genre. That is a very suggestive term.

There is not a right or wrong answer here it just might mean something different to different people so I was just trying to get a handle on what it means to you.

You might want to check out Aaron Siskind to...

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2017 10:48 |  #262

chauncey wrote in post #18230589 (external link)

Last is in the past.

One local photographer who had two studios and freelancers stuff has quit and selling, installing build-in furniture now. My boss daughter after getting diploma in photography finally getting permanent job, customer service representative at new condos. And then in 2016 some federal ministry paid for photographer to take pictures at the conference, Canadian public was outraged with money waste. The common sense now is to take selfies on the phone for events like this and twit it.
Our daughter takes, edit photos for some rich and somewhat locally famous, plus in the crew of nightclub part-time photography. Paying rates are joke.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

airfrogusmc
35,786 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Jan 02, 2017 10:56 |  #263

kf095 wrote in post #18230687 (external link)
Last is in the past.

One local photographer who had two studios and freelancers stuff has quit and selling, installing build-in furniture now. My boss daughter after getting diploma in photography finally getting permanent job, customer service representative at new condos. And then in 2016 some federal ministry paid for photographer to take pictures at the conference, Canadian public was outraged with money waste. The common sense now is to take selfies on the phone for events like this and twit it.
Our daughter takes, edit photos for some rich and somewhat locally famous, plus in the crew of nightclub part-time photography. Paying rates are joke.

That does depend on who your clients are and what type of work you are doing. If you are going to do this for a living you need to get to the clients that will first be able to pay, appreciate what you can do for them, and ones that understand and can see a difference in what someone that has no sensitive to the frame and the light that is in the frame and those that have a firm grasp of that. I know how got to those clients but as I said on page one it isn't easy and some might not be willing to do what it actually takes.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2017 10:56 |  #264

Hogloff wrote in post #18229947 (external link)
So how does something become art? Who sprinkles it with magic dust and from then on its art? Who sets this standard of what is art and what is not.

In my famous photographers biography often here is one or more persons involved. Not photographer, but person with power, money and connections.
In art you must have connections, if not and you are still really good at it, once you are gone, you might become famous.
It is even more profitable for those who controls art industry. Hey, look at this, then he was alive nobody was giving crap, but now we are declaring it as $$$, sorry, art.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2017 11:01 |  #265

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18230692 (external link)
That does depend on who your clients are and what type of work yo are doing. If you are going to do this for a living you need to get to the clients that will first be able to pay, appreciate what you can do for them, and ones that understand and can see a difference in what someone that has no sensitive to the frame and the light that is in the frame and those that have a firm grasp of that. I know how got to those clients but as I said on page one it isn't easy and some might not be willing to do what it actually takes.

Yes, few years ago I remember you have mentioned some types of clients you have. Where I'm those are not hiring. You are living in US where many things, including photography are very conservative. You, guys, still have big store chains and pharmacies selling, processing film, they say. Where I'm it is done and gone long time ago.

airfrogusmc
35,786 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc.

Jan 02, 2017 11:07 |  #266

kf095 wrote in post #18230697 (external link)
Yes, few years ago I remember you have mentioned some types of clients you have. Where I'm those are not hiring. You are living in US where many things, including photography are very conservative. You, guys, still have big store chains and pharmacies selling, processing film, they say. Where I'm it is done and gone long time ago.

I did forget to say where you live but that gets to my post on pg 1 is if you are really serious you might need relocate to a place that can support the type of work that you want to do. Then work for someone successful for a while to see how it is really done. You will probably work for practically nothing but consider it a paid education.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 02, 2017 11:20 |  #267
bannedPermanent ban

Better yet, work at your $150,000/yr job with full benefits, retire at 53 and travel the world doing what you like...taking photos and making art which you sell to the very rich housing market for great margins.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,339 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 02, 2017 11:21 |  #268

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18230700 (external link)
I did forget to say where you live but that gets to my post on pg 1 is if you are really serious you might need relocate to a place that can support the type of work that you want to do. Then work for someone successful for a while to see how it is really done. You will probably work for practically nothing but consider it a paid education.

You are spot on the money with this statement. And here is success story to monument it in gold.

In the store which I consider to be my local camera shop they have some interesting pictures. Very HCB, GW like. So, I asked who is the author. It appears to be local town boy with film Leica. He worked at their store as student, he took some pictures for local media. Get recognized, published. But to have photography as income, he moved to serve as personal, living-in photographer for Arabia Oil Prince (one of thirty they have for now over where).

He used to live and I'm living in most highest income, most populated area in Canada. The reality for the rest of Canada looks like this:
http://www.kijiji.ca …SearchNavigatio​nFlag=true (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,786 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by airfrogusmc. (4 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 11:35 |  #269

I think it's really tough now working for the general public even here in the states. I know a lot of photographers that have gone out of biz and are not doing it at all anymore. I made a few really good decisions a couple of decades ago that really panned out. I would love to think I had some kind of foresight but that wouldn't be true. I just made a few lucky choices. The foundation of which was laid back in the film days so it was before digital. I did lay the foundation though when I had opportunities I was able to take full advantage of those. It hasn't been easy. In some ways it might have helped contribute to a divorce. Remarried now and happier than ever but there were and still could be ahead(who knows what the future will bring) a few really bumpy stretches. But that is life. Biggest challenge is getting paid. It is usually 60 to 90 days on invoices and could be longer with some clients. Some pay within the terms 30 days. It can be a challenge at times. Lines of credit and money put aside for such times were part of the learning curve.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 02, 2017 13:36 |  #270

Define artistic genre

Define the indescribable, yeah right. To me it means this...two images (one created from incense smoke and one from water droplets in front of my monitor.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …egret-with-HDR-2-copy.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i329.photobucke​t.com …/droplets-part-deux-1.jpg (external link)

sponsored links

36,441 views & 281 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.