Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adding Lens Profile to LR 5.7

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Chief_10Beers.

Dec 19, 2016 19:10 |  #1

I just ordered the EF 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS II. How do I go about adding this Lens Profile to LR5.7? Or do I need to bite the bullet and order LR6 ( I prefer not to)...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 19, 2016 22:11 |  #2

I use Adobe's Lens Profile Downloader.

Don't forget to update your firmware. Adding the 70-300 II is the only new feature in it.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Chief_10Beers.

Dec 20, 2016 18:14 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18218254 (external link)
I use Adobe's Lens Profile Downloader.

Don't forget to update your firmware. Adding the 70-300 II is the only new feature in it.

Thanks for your help, the 70-300 is II is not listed in Adobe yet. Yeah, I have the latest Firmware loaded in my 6D...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 20, 2016 19:15 |  #4

Chief_10Beers wrote in post #18219109 (external link)
Thanks for your help, the 70-300 is II is not listed in Adobe yet. Yeah, I have the latest Firmware loaded in my 6D...............

Just to be sure, Canon updated the firmware for the 6D in November, just to account for the 70-300 II. If you use DPP 4, you should be able to get a lens profile that works in that software. Doesn't help with LR, but at least you can correct distortion, CA, and vignetting.

Chief_10Beers
THREAD ­ STARTER
487 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 20, 2016 20:31 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18219164 (external link)
Just to be sure, Canon updated the firmware for the 6D in November, just to account for the 70-300 II. If you use DPP 4, you should be able to get a lens profile that works in that software. Doesn't help with LR, but at least you can correct distortion, CA, and vignetting.

Yep, I have Version 1.1.7 Firmware. Guess I'll have to dabble with DPP. I haven't used DPP in a couple of years. I'm going to update DPP and EOS Utility as they are out dated. As always, thanks for your help...............

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 21, 2016 20:40 |  #6

You can create your own lens profile using this tool from Adobe:

https://www.adobe.com …duct=193&platfo​rm=Windows (external link)

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,926 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by digital paradise. (2 edits in all)

Dec 22, 2016 16:05 |  #7

Just went through this. When the lens gets added you can use this if it does not find it. You could try the 70-300 profile for now.

In the Lens Correction palette find your Make and Model.

Setup will change to Custom.

Click on Setup and then select Save New Lens Profile Defaults.

Setup will switch back to Default and new lens has been added.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1472813

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,926 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2016 16:09 |  #8

I have LR 6.8 and it is not there either.

Image Editing OK

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 22, 2016 17:02 |  #9

The 70-300 II is not yet supported by Lightroom/Camera Raw. There is a very good chance that it will be added in the next release of LR, BUT it is not known (outside of the halls of Adobe) whether the next release will be 6.9 or 7.0. All that can be said is that the life of major versions has been, in the past, a bit less than 18 months to nearly 24 months. LR 6 is now 20 months old. Recent events both among LR's rivals and within the world of other Adobe products have created a lot of unsupported predictions that LR 7 will appear soon.

In the past, whenever a new version was released Adobe would give it for free to anybody who had purchased the previous version within the last month. The is no guarantee that that policy will continue. There is even no guarantee that there will be an LR 7.

Of course, if you take out a CC Photographer's Package subscription, you will receive the latest versions of LR and PS as they are released - no matter what they may be called - as long as your subscription is paid up.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,926 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 22, 2016 17:32 |  #10

Hope 7 does not go CC.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2016 04:27 |  #11

tzalman wrote in post #18220975 (external link)
The 70-300 II is not yet supported by Lightroom/Camera Raw. There is a very good chance that it will be added in the next release of LR, BUT it is not known (outside of the halls of Adobe) whether the next release will be 6.9 or 7.0. All that can be said is that the life of major versions has been, in the past, a bit less than 18 months to nearly 24 months. LR 6 is now 20 months old. Recent events both among LR's rivals and within the world of other Adobe products have created a lot of unsupported predictions that LR 7 will appear soon.

In the past, whenever a new version was released Adobe would give it for free to anybody who had purchased the previous version within the last month. The is no guarantee that that policy will continue. There is even no guarantee that there will be an LR 7.

Of course, if you take out a CC Photographer's Package subscription, you will receive the latest versions of LR and PS as they are released - no matter what they may be called - as long as your subscription is paid up.

Since they have only very recently done the big annual upgrade from LR CC 2016 to LR CC 2017 I would not expect to see anything change soon on the traditional licence version. If they were going to do anything with it I would have expected them to do it then. Although Adobe tout the CC system as a mechanism whereby they can roll out updates with new features whenever they like, it seems as if they are now doing a roughly annual major update with most of the year's new stuff coming in that release. They also seem to use it as the point where the free trial offer resets itself. Not that I have really noticed any significant differences in LR CC 2017 over the 2016 version. I noticed that there were a lot of new videos posted by Adobe TV by Julieanne Kost, whose stuff I really like, but I notice that it is all based on LR Mobile/Web, rather than the main product.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,478 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 23, 2016 06:17 |  #12

Since they have only very recently done the big annual upgrade from LR CC 2016 to LR CC 2017

Alan, are you sure that is the way your desktop app is designated? My version is 2015.8. Here is Adobe's announcement of the latest update, about two weeks ago:

Announcement:Lightroom CC 2015.8/Lightroom 6.8 is now available
by Pete.Green (December 8, 2016)
We are happy to announce the release of Lightroom CC 2015.8/6.8

PSCC and Bridge recently jumped from 2015.x to 2017.0.1, but LR and ACR (9.8) have not seen a version upgrade yet. Of course, PSCS6 ended its update span long ago, so there is only PSCC now and it can be updated at any time, which makes the name they call it, be it 2015 or 2017, somewhat irrelevant. It was called 2015.x throughout most of 2016 and nobody seemed unduly bothered.

Jeff Schewe recently remarked that the version numbering of LR is tied to ACR, so I expect that when ACR goes to V. 10 there will be a similar shift to LR CC 2017.0/7.0. There will probably be additional non-development new features and 7 will have new features that are already in LR 2015.x and ACR 9.x

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2016 10:48 |  #13

tzalman wrote in post #18221463 (external link)
Alan, are you sure that is the way your desktop app is designated? My version is 2015.8. Here is Adobe's announcement of the latest update, about two weeks ago:

PSCC and Bridge recently jumped from 2015.x to 2017.0.1, but LR and ACR (9.8) have not seen a version upgrade yet. Of course, PSCS6 ended its update span long ago, so there is only PSCC now and it can be updated at any time, which makes the name they call it, be it 2015 or 2017, somewhat irrelevant. It was called 2015.x throughout most of 2016 and nobody seemed unduly bothered.

Jeff Schewe recently remarked that the version numbering of LR is tied to ACR, so I expect that when ACR goes to V. 10 there will be a similar shift to LR CC 2017.0/7.0. There will probably be additional non-development new features and 7 will have new features that are already in LR 2015.x and ACR 9.x

My mistake, the thing was that I rememberd seeing updates for almost all of the apps, and many of them now get an appended (2017), PS, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Prelude, Audition, to name most of them have all just got the 2017 moniker. Of the products that have a date it is only LR and SpeedGrade that still have the 2015 label. Looking at the management app I see that I have some outstanding updates to download with PS, LR, Camera Raw and Dreamweaver waiting for download, although the downloaded versions I have are all already at 2017. I do forget to check the management app for updates, I suppose I should do so more often. Anyway I'm off to watch a movie with my daughter in a little while, so I guess I'll start the updates running then, since our internet connection is not the fastest, or the most reliable, the joys of living in rural Norfolk, a good 150 yards from the box, and a mile or more from the exchange, and we are still on an all copper connection.

Alan

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,926 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2016 10:55 |  #14

tzalman wrote in post #18221463 (external link)

I have stand alone CS6 and LR 6.8. I set up all my camera defaults in LR. Even when I convert to DNG CS6 still applies them. I recently picked up a 5D4 but was not sure how that would go. Mind you I can just export a file from LR into PS pretty easily.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,013 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2016 11:22 |  #15

digital paradise wrote in post #18221653 (external link)
I have stand alone CS6 and LR 6.8. I set up all my camera defaults in LR. Even when I convert to DNG CS6 still applies them. I recently picked up a 5D4 but was not sure how that would go. Mind you I can just export a file from LR into PS pretty easily.

CS6 and LR 6 standalone should both be using the same version of ACR, so you should have zero issues with passing images from one to the other, it is only where you have an older copy of PS with a newer copy of LR that you can have issues, and even those are not unsurmountable. Where versions are the same LR actually uses ACR to render the image in PS, and the file is not actually saved until you hit save in PS to return you to LR. Where the copy of LR is newer, so that the versions of ACR don't match LR simply renders the image itself, but in doing so it creates the file first, then opens it in PS, and you still simply save back to LR in the same way, so from a user perspective all that changes is it might take a fraction longer to open, that is unless you change your mind and don't want to save the image from PS, in that case when you close PS you have to go back to LR and delete the file that LR has created. Converting the image to a DNG will work just as well for LR as it will for ACR if the two versions are the same. I had this when using LR4 with PS CS 5, initially Adobe released a final version of the CS 5 version of ACR that would support rendering images using PV2012, and so you could render directly into PS, but not make changes if you used a smart object. When they updated to LR4.4 though they obviously made some serious changes to the PV, so that ACR no longer supported direct rendering into CS 5. So after getting LR4.4 it was necessary to have LR do the rendering instead. Since I never opend images as smart objects it didn't really have any practical effect.

Alan

sponsored links

2,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adding Lens Profile to LR 5.7
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.