Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adding Lens Profile to LR 5.7

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2016 12:03 |  #16

BigAl007 wrote in post #18221675 (external link)
CS6 and LR 6 standalone should both be using the same version of ACR, so you should have zero issues with passing images from one to the other, it is only where you have an older copy of PS with a newer copy of LR that you can have issues, and even those are not unsurmountable. Where versions are the same LR actually uses ACR to render the image in PS, and the file is not actually saved until you hit save in PS to return you to LR. Where the copy of LR is newer, so that the versions of ACR don't match LR simply renders the image itself, but in doing so it creates the file first, then opens it in PS, and you still simply save back to LR in the same way, so from a user perspective all that changes is it might take a fraction longer to open, that is unless you change your mind and don't want to save the image from PS, in that case when you close PS you have to go back to LR and delete the file that LR has created. Converting the image to a DNG will work just as well for LR as it will for ACR if the two versions are the same. I had this when using LR4 with PS CS 5, initially Adobe released a final version of the CS 5 version of ACR that would support rendering images using PV2012, and so you could render directly into PS, but not make changes if you used a smart object. When they updated to LR4.4 though they obviously made some serious changes to the PV, so that ACR no longer supported direct rendering into CS 5. So after getting LR4.4 it was necessary to have LR do the rendering instead. Since I never opend images as smart objects it didn't really have any practical effect.

Alan

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I did not have to go CC - yet :-) Mind you I could live with LR alone if I had to. I only really use PS for some of my resizing and sharpening actions. Back to back tests show LR does a good job exporting but you have no real final control of export sharpening. A better description would be you can't see the final image before export.

I have only been using DPP to view, delete and do searches for the last several years. I decided to play around with it. Some decent improvements with DLO and I think their resizing algorithms have improved which is important to me. I might play around with it a bit for onesies. Still prefer LR for multiple files.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2016 19:08 |  #17

digital paradise wrote in post #18221713 (external link)
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I did not have to go CC - yet :-) Mind you I could live with LR alone if I had to. I only really use PS for some of my resizing and sharpening actions. Back to back tests show LR does a good job exporting but you have no real final control of export sharpening. A better description would be you can't see the final image before export.

I have only been using DPP to view, delete and do searches for the last several years. I decided to play around with it. Some decent improvements with DLO and I think their resizing algorithms have improved which is important to me. I might play around with it a bit for onesies. Still prefer LR for multiple files.

The problem with export sharpening in LR is that the only way to truly see a preview of what the final image is going to look like is to actually render it out. In that situation it is just as easy to render the file, and then view it in whatever file viewer you chose. If LR were to build a preview image it would simply be the rendered file, with a different name, so whats the point. I have to say though that having been using LR since the first public beta of LR 4, well I suppose I did run the LR 3 trial for a week before the LR4 release, I have got used to how LR seems to apply output sharpening, at least for most of the saved exports that I use, so I don't often get a nasty surprise when I export, if anything sometimes the results in the exported file are actually a LOT better than I think they will be after the resizing and sharpening have been applied, and I really don't mind those surprises.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2016 21:14 |  #18

BigAl007 wrote in post #18222041 (external link)
The problem with export sharpening in LR is that the only way to truly see a preview of what the final image is going to look like is to actually render it out. In that situation it is just as easy to render the file, and then view it in whatever file viewer you chose. If LR were to build a preview image it would simply be the rendered file, with a different name, so whats the point. I have to say though that having been using LR since the first public beta of LR 4, well I suppose I did run the LR 3 trial for a week before the LR4 release, I have got used to how LR seems to apply output sharpening, at least for most of the saved exports that I use, so I don't often get a nasty surprise when I export, if anything sometimes the results in the exported file are actually a LOT better than I think they will be after the resizing and sharpening have been applied, and I really don't mind those surprises.

Alan

After many years of using PS and DPP I had a tough time with LR. It took a few trials over several years to warm up it. I did a bunch of exports for printing and took them to a local printer to make sure a customer would get a good product. PixelGenius developed the resizing and sharpening algorithms so I'm pretty sure there is edge sharpening, etc we don't see happening during export. Over time like you suggested I just did social media viewing tests for the best results and now I'm comfortable with it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 24, 2016 05:09 |  #19

I'd like to share something that I have discovered. Probably everyone has known this for ages and will get a good laugh now, but here it is: ACR has nowadays exactly the same resizing and output sharpening as LR, but it is sort of hidden and not called "Export" but rather "Workflow Options". And if you do your resizing and sharpening there, it is immediately rendered with these actions applied and you remain in CR; in other words the rendition is non-destructive - don't like Sharpen>High, change it to Standard. And since ACR renders its preview in the default working space you have set in PS, you can override that in Workflow Options and thus do a sort of soft-proofing.

If you like to start in LR in order to have the Raw or DNG image cataloged in LR's database, as I usually do, you can at any point in the develop process transfer the image to ACR by using "Edit in..../Open in PS as Smart Object". When the image opens in PS, double click on the Smart Object symbol on the image's layer bar to open it in ACR and continue editing. To use Workflow Options click on the image description at the bottom-center:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This window opens:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

When you return to PS you can add more or different sharpening to the resized image or do whatever pixel level editing you desire.

Elie / אלי

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2016 06:02 |  #20

tzalman wrote in post #18222363 (external link)
I'd like to share something that I have discovered. Probably everyone has known this for ages and will get a good laugh now, but here it is: ACR has nowadays exactly the same resizing and output sharpening as LR, but it is sort of hidden and not called "Export" but rather "Workflow Options". And if you do your resizing and sharpening there, it is immediately rendered with these actions applied and you remain in CR; in other words the rendition is non-destructive - don't like Sharpen>High, change it to Standard. And since ACR renders its preview in the default working space you have set in PS, you can override that in Workflow Options and thus do a sort of soft-proofing.

If you like to start in LR in order to have the Raw or DNG image cataloged in LR's database, as I usually do, you can at any point in the develop process transfer the image to ACR by using "Edit in..../Open in PS as Smart Object". When the image opens in PS, double click on the Smart Object symbol on the image's layer bar to open it in ACR and continue editing. To use Workflow Options click on the image description at the bottom-center:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tzalman in
./showthread.php?p=182​22363&i=i138955335
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

This window opens:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tzalman in
./showthread.php?p=182​22363&i=i204800364
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

When you return to PS you can add more or different sharpening to the resized image or do whatever pixel level editing you desire.

Actually, since I have only been using CC for a couple of months I really didn't know this. I only moved from LR4.4/PSCS5, which needs you to have LR render into PS because I got a new computer system with a 5K monitor, and unlike my older MS applications Adobe do their own screen drawing, and don't support high res monitors in the old versions. I can still use MS Office 2007 since it uses the OS to draw to the screen, and running on Win 10 the high res support is very good. I've been watching a lot of Julieanne Kost's videos on Adobe TV for both LR and PS, but this is something that is not mentioned at all. As a long time user of an older version it's not the sort of thing you are likely to go deliberately looking for, I knew you could click on those options in ACR to change the colourspace, and that it changed the presentation and histogram, while you have to use the proofing tools in LR to get a similar effect. I'll have to remember that one.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adding Lens Profile to LR 5.7
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.