Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Dec 2016 (Tuesday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom Default Setting question

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by digital paradise.

Dec 20, 2016 21:15 |  #1

I have set up my defaults by ISO so NR, sharpening, colour tweaks, etc automatically apply. I also checked the Remove Chromatic Aberration and Profile Corrections boxes in the Lens Corrections tab. I can put any Canon lens on and it automatically applies those two. However when I put the 1.4 TC III on it will not work. The two boxes are checked but no lens comes up. When I press the Make box and choose Canon that lens and that extender comes up.

I just noticed a warning ! Unable to locate a matching profile automatically

I guess it sees the TC first and goes by it. I'll have to see if I can figure out a work around unless I'm missing something.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2016 05:58 |  #2

I'm sure I wouldn't be telling you something that you don't know if I say that the addition of a converter optically alters the lens- it is, in effect, a new lens, possibly (almost certainly) with different distortions and vignetting than the lens alone. And every new model TC would be different than its predecessor. So, for complete coverage Adobe would have to make separate profiles for every possible combination; but I see that for the 30+ Canon EF lenses over 70 mm. in the LR menu, only 8 have additional profiles with a TC - including the 200-400 f4 with its dedicated TC. The other 7 (these lenses:
70-200 f2.8L IS II
100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II
300 f2.8L IS II
400 f2.8L IS II
400 f4 DO IS II
400 f5.6L
500 f4L IS II) have two additional profiles, for 1.4x and 2x, but the TCs are only identified (in the body of the profile as seen in WordPad) as either 1.4x or 2x. IOW, there are are not separate profiles for the 1.4, 1.4 II and 1.4 III. So there are two questions: Were all the profiles made with the original Canon TCs? And how does your 1.4 III identify itself to the camera and is it described in the EXIF as 1.4x III? If its EXIF tag is different from that of the old 1.4, that could be why LR is not automatically finding a match; but that is a good thing because it prevents the use of an inaccurate profile.

You could make your own profile with the software provided by Adobe (I remember kirkt having a go at it several years ago, you could PM him for advice) or, alternatively, Adobe has a site where community members post homemade profiles and also provides an app for searching and downloading from there (I once got a profile for an antique Sigma 15-30 there). Or you could use the LR-provided profile and eye-ball any changes it needs with the manual Distortion and Anti-Vignetting sliders.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2016 08:53 |  #3

LR gets a little weird. I'll give some of that a try. I normally take a series of shots at 100, 200, 400 and so on. I import them and create a permanent file called personal defaults. I go through each file and set up all my preferences and then click Develop on the top bar and then Set Default Settings.

I notice that the Lens Correction palette says Default so every time I import files it will automatically update to whatever lens was on the camera expect it does not recognize the lens with a TC. If you find the lens and TC and switch it to Custom or leave it a Default and click Develop on the top bar and then Set Default Settings it seams to apply that lens to everything. It is like it is working against itself.

The problem is when I make a change and it messes up I have to take a series of shots with a couple of lenses and with TC on and off to insure it is working. I may just let it go and when I use the TC just go in and manually call it up and sync it or set up a profile.

I have been searching the web and trying to find the answer but there is nothing specific to that. I may have to join an LR forum.

Image Editing OK

jcothron
Goldmember
3,721 posts
Gallery: 395 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 21, 2016 08:58 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #4

check out luminous landscapes forums... Eric Chan (one of the LR developers) frequents there

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2016 09:20 |  #5

jcothron wrote in post #18219648 (external link)
check out luminous landscapes forums... Eric Chan (one of the LR developers) frequents there

Thanks I will.

Image Editing OK

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,481 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by tzalman.

Dec 21, 2016 11:56 |  #6

I may just let it go and when I use the TC just go in and manually call it up

Sure, you can do that. I see from your gear list that you have two out of the seven lenses for which Adobe made profiles with a 1.4 TC. But there is no way of knowing which Canon 1.4 TC. There are three models out there and I imagine there are some differences between them (maybe very slight); so you have to be prepared to tweak the profile with the manual controls, if needed.

Or, as I said, make your own profiles.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2016 15:21 |  #7

I'm not sure yet but it seems like I figured it out and it is pretty simple. Maybe you were tying to tell me this but I had a brain fart. It is pain going through 3 lenses and a TC and cross referencing with DPP to be sure I'm working with the correct configuration.

Like I said I did my initial 100 - 3200 ISO shots, did my tweaks, checked profile and CA in the Lens Correction palette and did the Develop - Set Default Settings - Update To Current Settings. Even though I did this with one lens it would automatically recognize a different lens. The Setup in the Lens Correction palette always says default for all lenses.

Again it would not recognize the 100-400 and the 1.4. In the Lens Correction palette I clicked on Make, then Model and found that config and the Setup changed to Custom. I clicked on Setup and then on Save New Lens Profile Defaults and the Setup switched back to Default.

I think that method just adds a new lens or combo. It does not appear I have to do this for each ISO settings which I think messed me up. Before I went into the Develop - Set Default Settings - Update To Current Settings again and I should not have.

I'll know in a few days if it is working.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
THREAD ­ STARTER
How do I change this?
15,170 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2016 16:08 |  #8

It appears that is it. I did a search in Adobe forums, there was a topic about this, asked and someone just responded. That will be a good thing to know.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom Default Setting question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.