Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 01 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Can you post photos from PC to Instagram ?

quickben
Fairy Gapped
1,479 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 01, 2017 10:08 |  #1

Or is it purely for smartphone images ?

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

sponsored links
s1a1om
502 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 03, 2017 17:06 |  #2

There are programs that allow you to do that. InstaPic is one.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 12:30 |  #3

s1a1om wrote in post #18232161 (external link)
There are programs that allow you to do that. InstaPic is one.

About a year ago, I looked into using all of the different programs that are supposed to allow you to post from a PC to Instagram. It seems that every one of them had some kind of problem, and either didn't work anymore, or was faulty in some way. It almost seems like Instagram is continually updating their software in order to keep these kinds of third party programs from working. I really don't understand why Instagram doesn't want 'regular' photos on their site. Sheesh!

I think the best thing to do may be to just pull up a photo on your PC monitor in full screen mode, then take a shot of your monitor with your smartphone, then post that smartphone pic to Instagram.

Instagram certainly doesn't seem to be into quality files with lots of colour depth and detail-rich resolution. In fact, I think that their software is probably designed to ruin your images by limiting their resolution and bit depth. So the smartphone pic would probably be no worse than a pic straight from your PC when viewed on Instagram.

The method I described above probably only works well if you have a really good monitor.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mpadula
340 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by mpadula.

Jan 04, 2017 15:39 |  #4

Instagram is best viewed from your smartphone so most people I know that are heavy users of Instagram only view photos on Instagram from their smartphone. I've looked at Instagram on my laptop and the quality is not as sharp as when viewed on your phone, so that being said, all of my Instagram photos that I post on my Instagram are pulled from my Facebook page. I upload almost all of my photos taken with my 50D and my SX50HS to Facebook after I am finished processing them. Facebook does upload photos now with a higher quality than they used to and when I want to post a photo to Instagram I will pull it from my Facebook, save it to my smartphone and then run that photo through Snapseed to make a few adjustments mostly to the photos I want to try out in HDR mode and then from there I will upload it directly to Instagram. I think the vast majority of Instagram users view it from their smartphones so it works well if you pull your processed photos from a Facebook account. And of course any photos I actually take with my LG G2 smartphone I will post to Instagram.

If you have Facebook and post your photos in your Facebook account then the best way I have found is saving that photo to your phone then upload directly to Instagram from there.

Here is my Instagram and you can see that the photos are pretty decent quality when viewed through Instagram on your smartphone. The HDR conversions I post on Instagram look a little grainy when viewed on my large 19 inch computer monitor but look pretty good when viewed in smaller format on a smartphone. The other photos I have posted that I do not convert to HDR but are taken directly from my Facebook page still view in very good image quality on the 19 inch computer monitor, but Instagram still shows them in a much smaller format.

https://www.instagram.​com/mpadula_photograph​y/?hl=en (external link)

I realized I didn't really answer your question, I think the answer is No that you cannot post to Instagram directly from your laptop, the way around that is to just upload your photos to your Facebook page and pull them from there, but if you don't have Facebook then you might be able to upload them to Flickr if you have a Flickr account and then use the Flickr app on your smart view to save them onto your smartphone.

Canon 50D, Canon EF 17-40L, Canon EF-S 18-55mm/ Canon EF-S 55-250mm/ Canon EF 28-135mm/ Canon EF 50mm 1.8f

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,908 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 04, 2017 16:02 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

If you have a smartphone already it's easy....upload the photo to flickr or drop box...save it to your phone, and post it...

If you dont have a smart phone or tablet then i dont know of any options

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Jan 04, 2017 16:11 |  #6

As has been said already, IG is very difficult to get images into. I am currently doing it fairly successfully, with a wordpress plugin. It post correctly, but will not work wordpress's auto scheduled posts. Still trying to make that work, but at least I've got it posting the image from my website, directly to Instagram.

s1a1om
502 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 04, 2017 17:37 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18233003 (external link)
About a year ago, I looked into using all of the different programs that are supposed to allow you to post from a PC to Instagram. It seems that every one of them had some kind of problem, and either didn't work anymore, or was faulty in some way. It almost seems like Instagram is continually updating their software in order to keep these kinds of third party programs from working. I really don't understand why Instagram doesn't want 'regular' photos on their site. Sheesh!

Yeah, instapic is pretty buggy, but it does allow me to upload directly from my PC, which I find convenient.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,054 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 04, 2017 21:09 |  #8

I believe Instagram do make changes occasionally that break third party apps because they want you to use the Instagram app (because they get add revenue from it).

There are several online services that will post to your IG account but I haven't used any of those. The two methods I prefer are...

1. The more complex method - Export image to drop box on PC. They get synced to Phone.... then post to IG using the IG app.

2. The better way (If you are using Lightroom) - get the LR/Instagram plugin which creates a publish service for Instagram. http://www.lrinstagram​.com/ (external link). It allows you to add a comment and hashtags into the meta data in LR prior to publishing to Instagram

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 05, 2017 09:06 |  #9

My Instagram work flow:
Edit on pc.
Save copy to Instagram folder in dropbox (or Google Drive)
Open Snapseed on phone.
Open image from dropbox or drive.
Edit.
Share to Instagram.
IFTTT actions automatically post Instagram to Flickr and Twitter - and could do Facebook as well but I don't bother with FB.

if I'm at a big event and have some down time the workflow becomes memory card to phone by card reader w/ USB OTG cable then Snapseed to Instagram.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

quickben
THREAD ­ STARTER
Fairy Gapped
1,479 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 05, 2017 12:45 |  #10

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18233596 (external link)
I believe Instagram do make changes occasionally that break third party apps because they want you to use the Instagram app (because they get add revenue from it).

There are several online services that will post to your IG account but I haven't used any of those. The two methods I prefer are...

1. The more complex method - Export image to drop box on PC. They get synced to Phone.... then post to IG using the IG app.

2. The better way (If you are using Lightroom) - get the LR/Instagram plugin which creates a publish service for Instagram. http://www.lrinstagram​.com/ (external link). It allows you to add a comment and hashtags into the meta data in LR prior to publishing to Instagram

Bingo ! This is what I was hoping for. Thanks Dan.

Gary.

Fighting the war against the unnecessary use of the Book Worthy Smiley
My name is Gary, not Ben.
6D 24-70/2.8VC 85/1.8

Dan ­ Marchant
5,054 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 07, 2017 09:16 |  #11

quickben wrote in post #18234337 (external link)
Bingo ! This is what I was hoping for. Thanks Dan.

Gary.

I have been using it for a while. It is good but Instagram broke it a few weeks back and it has only just been fixed. It still posted but the posts didn't show in hashtag searches (which basically made them largely invisible). Seems to be fixed now.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 08, 2017 10:06 |  #12

I set up a drop box account on my computer and sync'd with my phone. I then set up an export preset in LR that resizes the photo and saves it into the correct drop box folder. Now I export a few photos from each shoot into that folder and when I feel like uploading to IG I just open IG on my phone and navigate to the drop box folder and find the photo I want to share. About once a week I open drop box on my pc and IG on my phone and delete the photos I have recently uploaded from my drop box folder so there are only photos waiting to be uploaded in there.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,054 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 08, 2017 18:58 |  #13

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18237553 (external link)
I set up a drop box account on my computer and sync'd with my phone. I then set up an export preset in LR that resizes the photo and saves it into the correct drop box folder. Now I export a few photos from each shoot into that folder and when I feel like uploading to IG I just open IG on my phone and navigate to the drop box folder and find the photo I want to share. About once a week I open drop box on my pc and IG on my phone and delete the photos I have recently uploaded from my drop box folder so there are only photos waiting to be uploaded in there.

This is what I used to do until I got the LR/Instagram plugin. So much easier to just publish straight from LR.

Dan Marchant

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 08, 2017 19:31 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #14

I grabbed the plugin to play around with, for me I am not always at my computer when I want to post and I like to have a stock of photos ready to upload.

dropmyload
642 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 08, 2017 22:54 |  #15

You can use push.photo. Allows you to schedule postings too. Only issue I saw was you need to be keen on hashtags, and it wont allow you to share on FB from Insta.

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

5,722 views & 15 likes for this thread
Can you post photos from PC to Instagram ?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.