Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 04 Jan 2017 (Wednesday) 17:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bokeh/dreamy look difference 85 1.2L Mark I vs Sigma 85 Art in practice ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan. (40 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 17:04 |  #1

I've read the technical Lenstip & mini-review here (comparing to the 85L II) but I haven't seen much portrait sample comparison shots.
Technically the Sigma 85 Art outperforms the L in every way, focus speed, but also the resolution, less CA (more details left after correction)... so at first sight all reasons to upgrade.

But how about the creamy bokeh, are there any sample portrait comparisons with the 85L online yet ?
F1.2 still is a legendary aperture, they hardly make lenses like this.

When the Sigma 85 1.4 (non art) was out I didn't make the switch yet as reviews said the bokeh was more distracting and it was soft in the corners, now i'm doubting more.
==> So to the point : does the 85 1.2L MKI still has a lot more f1.2 dreamy look than the 85 1.4 Art, or is it practically the same ?

IQ if most important for me, if my 85L still has a considerable more dreamy look I stay with the L.
If the difference is neglectable I'll sell it for the Art, any other 85 1.2L MKI owners here that will switch or don't plan to switch ?

Just read some interesting points here and found some videos :
-Sigma employed an iris diaphragm with 9 rounded blades, which has resulted in very nice bokeh in our view.
-Something important : The 85L and 50L were not designed for peak sharpness — they were designed for best bokeh, light falloff, etc.
-The 85 Art is sharp from open aperture, as opposed to older designs that were intended to be softer wide open for the purposes of flattering portraits. This new lens is sharp throughout, although not cruelly over-sharp, so subjects should be pleased enough.
-Found a few real life sample comparisons here! https://www.slrlounge.​com …the-beauty-of-this-beast/ (external link)
-Recent comparison (modelshoot in the field) : https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=nxdOtZvoD4I (external link)
-Bokeh examination : https://www.youtube.co​m …32-456b-bf75-7ebc6fd4e043 (external link)

Important question for me : my 85L Mark I has the absence of electronics to support E-TTL II flash function, i'm planning to buy a TTL strobe, so it's better that i'll sell it for the Art ?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
jkdwings
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 04, 2017 23:39 |  #2

I cannot comment to most of your post, but I will point out that f/1.2 does not let in double the light as f/1.4 - it is only 1/3 of a stop more. There is f/1.0 at a full stop brighter, then f/1.1, f/1.2, then f/1.4 in thirds of a stop. So it's not too much of a difference in light gathering.

Best regards,

Jason

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L
Canon T1i | Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS

Balb0wa
79 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 05, 2017 06:43 |  #3

The new samyang looks good, manual focus though.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=JkkGQJowJ6I (external link)

Canon 5DIV - 16-35L F4 - 100-400MK2
Fuji X-T1 - XF35mm F1.4 R - XF10-24mm F4 R OIS

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 06, 2017 11:14 |  #4

I do not understand what you mean by saying your 85 L doesn't support ETTL II flash? The ETTL II functionality is part of the body, not of the lens. I know that some newer Canon lenses support passing of focus distance information, to assist the flash functionality, but it doesn't stop ETTL II from functioning at all. From what I have seen published though, the distance information that is passed, it is also recorded in the EXIF data, is actually so unreliable as to be virtually worthless. I didn't think that too many of the third party lenses tried to pass this information either, so that may make no difference anyway. I know that I would not be concerned about getting or having a lens that didn't do the distance data, none of my lenses do, and they all work perfectly fine with my ETTL II compatible Sigma flash.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
11,844 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by umphotography.

Jan 06, 2017 21:07 |  #5

If the art holds up and good consistent copies produce great results for the masses, then Canon will be in trouble. People are not going to spend $1000.00 more for this new 85L coming out when The Sigma 85 art is as good as it appears to be. From everything I have seen, the new 85 Art looks killer.

As far a Bokeh goes...your splitting hairs in my opinion. They are so close that its not really worth arguing about.

I think if you take the standard Bokeh King......which is the 200L f/2.0 and compare it to the Zeiss Otus 85 and then compare it to the siggy and the 85L its pretty obvious where the top glass for these needs stand. Nothing is gonna touch the 200L or the Otus. Absolutly Nothing. I would argue that the 135L would be next in line and my personal opinion, there is not much there to argue about BT the Siggy and the Canon L in the 85 Class.

One thing is abundantly clear. Everything I just mentioned is top notch glass and all of these lens produce Killer Bokeh.

For me the determining factor will be the ability to slap on ND's for studio use whicjh is becoming less of a concern with the new Godox lighting.HSS is flawless on the units but I still like an ND so I know here I am at.

Im leaning towards the Siggy but I have enough room to use the 135L in my studio so I may stay with the 135L. see image below

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by smythie.

Jan 07, 2017 02:08 |  #6

I'd be sticking with the 135L if you don't really need 85mm due to space. That's just my opinion though

Gear List

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jan 08, 2017 09:51 |  #7

I find the bokeh quality from Otus 85 mediocre. The overcorrected optics shows onion rings in bokeh balls. I dont like it. Usually there is a trade of between sharpness + corrected abberations and smooth out of focus rendering. I think a lens with undercorrected spherical abberation produce best bokeh quality. The Zeiss Milvus 85 have better bokeh than Otus 85. 50L is a good example of lens with a lot spherical abberation and very smooth bokeh.

Bokeh and out of focus area quality is a subjective matter and hard to discuss though. Smooth transition between highlights and shadows is important for me. Homogenus bokeh balls with none onion rings are important.

Maybe you are going to laugh at me now but I have to state that of all lenses I have used on my Canon bodies the 50 1.8 STM at MFD produce the best out of focus quality. Lens used at minimum focus distance also produce shallower DOF than 50L at f/1.2! 50 STM have better bokeh than 50L, 85L and 135L.

End of off topic.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 08, 2017 09:59 as a reply to  @ the hulk's post |  #8

Hmmm ... "End of argument" or any near equivalent usually signifies "Start of s**t-storm".

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 08, 2017 13:30 |  #9

the hulk wrote in post #18237535 (external link)
50 STM have better bokeh than 50L, 85L and 135L.

Very subjective. My opinion is just the opposite.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by basketballfreak6.

Jan 08, 2017 16:43 |  #10

the hulk wrote in post #18237535 (external link)
Bokeh and out of focus area quality is a subjective matter and hard to discuss though..

...aaannnddd this is why i laugh at those constantly making sweeping statements about superiority of one lens compared to another particularly when it comes to bokeh quality, first of all it's subjective, one person is going to appreciate a particular type of rendering over another, secondly with the higher end lenses companies are producing these days the differences are getting so small you have to examine it like 100% 5 different ways just to tell a difference, and of course there is that brand/confirmation bias where some feels the need to constantly defend what they have purchased

it reminds me few years back when digital rev did a blind bokeh test between 35L v1 and sigma 35 art and the internet ended up quite overwhelming voting the sigma to be the better lens (think it was like 70/30 split or something like that), even though when the 35 art first came out everyone's like "oh sigma knows how to make a sharp lens but their bokeh is sh!t" as if it's so bad it would hurt you eyes looking at it -?

got another example between 50L vs 50 art as well but i'll stop here before going too off topic as well (or start something else altogether :-P)

https://www.instagram.​com/tonyliuphotography​/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

the ­ hulk
"I am not that incredible nowadays"
253 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Jan 09, 2017 01:25 |  #11

That is why it is important to define what you think is a good out of focus or bokeh quality.

Also how you use the lens. I usually shoot near MFD and all lenses have different rendering compare shooting at 30 meters distance.

I am also interested in selling my 85LII for the 85 Art but I am not shure yet. Mostly interested in better AF speed and manual focus mechanism.

Look at the 85 Art thread in Sample forum.

golfcharlie
109 posts
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by golfcharlie.

Jan 09, 2017 18:42 |  #12

When I browse through pictures, if it's the 85L then it usually stands out straight away with that unique look.
It is not about the sharpness but about the overall character.

If you're after the look and already own the 85L, I'm not sure why you would want to get the Sigma 85 Art instead.
Reviews and sample pictures I have seen so far all show a much sharper lens, much better AF, less CA, but also less character. That's subjective of course, but that 85L look is what makes it unique lens.

Also, the Sigma is a huge beast, it is much much bigger than the 85L.

Flickr www.flickr.com/golfcha​rlie232/ (external link)
6D | 5D Mark IV | Samyang 14 f2.8 | Samyang 20 f1.8 | Sigma 35 f1.4 A | Canon 85 f1.8 | Canon 135 f2 L
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye | 24-105 f4L IS

Scottboarding
821 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined May 2016

Jan 09, 2017 22:50 |  #13

If you want the dreamy look, or simply character in a lens, don't go for any of the Sigma Art lenses. They're stupid sharp and Sigma has really solved their focus problems with them (as far as I've heard); the lenses are basically perfect on paper. If you want super sharp, then go for it; my 30mm Art is insanely sharp. If you want the dreamy look, or just general character, then skip the Sigma Art line; I wish I did.

Gear: https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18556308
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/130385961@N05/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,000 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 4 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 10, 2017 14:18 |  #14

Scottboarding wrote in post #18239509 (external link)
If you want the dreamy look, or simply character in a lens, don't go for any of the Sigma Art lenses. They're stupid sharp and Sigma has really solved their focus problems with them (as far as I've heard); the lenses are basically perfect on paper. If you want super sharp, then go for it; my 30mm Art is insanely sharp. If you want the dreamy look, or just general character, then skip the Sigma Art line; I wish I did.

There are a ton of 3rd party processing tools to soften up "too sharp" images. I would rather have a stupidly sharp lens and use Nik filters on the files, than to have a not-so-sharp lens and have to post process that sharpness back in later, personally.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Jan 10, 2017 16:15 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #15

But if you are happy with the 'look' of the image ... you don't need to do any special processing.

There is no perfect solution ... the lens that works for you is the one that delivers the image that pleases you most. It's going to be different strokes for different folks.

As you imply, it's personal. If the 'dreamy' 85ii look is what you prefer, though, what's the point in putting in all that extra processing time? It's just some more of your life spent staring at a screen.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

9,126 views & 21 likes for this thread
Bokeh/dreamy look difference 85 1.2L Mark I vs Sigma 85 Art in practice ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.