Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2017 (Thursday) 13:00
Search threadPrev/next

What is your model "repeat success"?

RickRitz
709 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 05, 2017 13:00 |  #1

Growing a model and keepsake business depends on both generating new client work and satisfying both new and existing clients. At some point, I decided to measure what models I shoot only once and those I shoot in 2 or more sessions. Working with and retaining repeat customers has multiple rewards. I have and use a service evaluation form to determine what the model liked or didn't about the experience and when I sense a particularly high level of enthusiasm, I ask for a testimonial that I share on my FB page and website.

With about 400K members on POTN, I am hoping to get some idea as to what level of "repeat success" you experience, particularly with paid work of course. My experience is that about 40% of the models I shoot with sign up for a second session (or more), staying within a pretty narrow range of 38-42% depending on the period. Do you track this for yourself, and if so, what are your goals on this if you have?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
|| 7D | EF 100-400L | EFS 17-55 | EF 85 | EF 50 | 580 EX II (2) | 420 EX (2) ||
1RickPhoto (over 200 albums of different beautiful models) (external link) Model Mayhem (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,260 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 05, 2017 14:55 |  #2

That is some really great info, something I might just try and implement as our boudoir side continues to grow. Would you be open to sharing the evaluation form you use? If not no worries you wont hurt my feelings.

RickRitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by RickRitz.

Jan 05, 2017 15:18 |  #3

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #18234510 (external link)
That is some really great info, something I might just try and implement as our boudoir side continues to grow. Would you be open to sharing the evaluation form you use? If not no worries you wont hurt my feelings.

I share out a Google doc for them to complete -- https://docs.google.co​m …i3GKIq3XpYcvXzz​u3uBs/edit (external link)

My analysis might not be the most appropriate for your business focus, though admittedly I have not given it much thought. Model work might have the opportunity of being more repetitive than boudoir. I think your focus might be on the rate of referral rather than on repeated work with the same client. Though I don't have crisp "referral" data, I could (and should) probably look into that as well as I think I can pretty much recall most of how the models came to me for their shoots.

1RickPhoto (over 200 albums of different beautiful models) (external link) Model Mayhem (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,260 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 05, 2017 15:23 |  #4

RickRitz wrote in post #18234539 (external link)
I share out a Google doc for them to complete -- https://docs.google.co​m …i3GKIq3XpYcvXzz​u3uBs/edit (external link)

Perfect, thank you that is much simpler then what I had in mind.

RickRitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 05, 2017 15:26 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #5

It's my experience that you have a higher chance of a reply with a simple questionnaire than a long one.

--- btw, I added a bit more to my last reply that you might want to consider also.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 05, 2017 15:29 |  #6

The "paid" thing is where you lose me. I'm out.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

RickRitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 05, 2017 15:32 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #7

Not sure what you mean by that... is all your work TF?

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Chet.

Jan 05, 2017 15:38 |  #8

RickRitz wrote in post #18234558 (external link)
Not sure what you mean by that... is all your work TF?

400k members maybe 5% are working pro's, 50% (if not higher) are non contributors, the rest hobbyists and enthusiasts. I'm a guy with a camera that gets used a lot for senior pictures, phootbooths, Church events, family functions and weddings. I don't like it, it's my fault, and it's not going to change anytime soon.

Edit, the 5% working pro's may be high as well.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,260 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 05, 2017 15:49 |  #9

I used the boudoir term loosely above. I would say only about 10% of what we shoot is actually boudoir. We do a lot of swimwear and location shooting, even our studio stuff is seldom boudoir at this point. The paying part is where you loose me for this stuff as well. I track our wedding work 100 ways from Sunday because we make 90% of our money there. I always wanted to make money shooting models but have yet to find a niche to make that happen to the same extent as weddings. So we do a lot of it for fun at this point still.

I can say that even with free work or very small session fee work (enough to cover expenses of the shoot and that it), I will work with 4-5 girls throughout the year a lot, and fill in the rest with people that are "just starting" and for one reason or another we don't end up working together again (either me not wanting to, they stop "modeling" due to boyfriends or work or ..... the list is endless). Found a model this last year, we shot with her in July I think was the first time, have since done 14 more sessions, all different. Have a new one this year that we have already done 2 shoots in 5 days with and are planning several more.

RickRitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
709 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 05, 2017 18:18 as a reply to  @ Littlejon Dsgn's post |  #10

Most of my model work comes over a fairly short time horizon, probably 12 months at most with just a few exceptions. I do get contacts from women who have shot keepsake material after a year or two wanting something new. As my chart shows, once I get past 5 sessions, things peter out pretty quickly as a model's priorities change including their realizing that success is harder than they thought or school/other career priorities influence their modeling activities.

I actively market via social media with several canned scripts to choose from and I've found that I can (usually) identify an approachable potential client by a quick look at their profile picture and our "mutual friends" info. FB, in particular, is very helpful in this regard.

2,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is your model "repeat success"?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.