Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Jan 2017 (Tuesday) 21:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pete Souza... what will he do next?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,968 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 12, 2017 18:43 |  #16

saea501 wrote in post #18242347 (external link)
If you have not looked at this and you enjoy truly great mostly candid photography, then you should.
https://www.flickr.com …tehouse/with/23​941893710/ (external link)

The subject matter - people and buildings and other manmade things - doesn't interest me in the least. But I must admit, it is great work.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
dsuitor
40 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 12, 2017 20:12 |  #17

There was a PBS show about the White House photographer and his duties a couple of years ago. Really interesting. The guy even showed a mistake he made by forgetting his CF cards.

regards,
dms

1d4, 7d, 5d2, 50d, and a growing list of L lens and lighting

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,838 posts
Gallery: 708 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 13, 2017 08:21 |  #18

Well, I had never heard of him until I read this post. I have just spent far too much time going through his Flickr stream - fabulous work. I wish I'd discovered him a few years ago! It appears he always uses natural light.

flickr (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jan 13, 2017 08:46 as a reply to  @ AnnieMacD's post |  #19

And I'm sure the President appreciated not being flashed a few hundred times a dayߘ

Not that he would have noticed 0ߘ

CC always welcome.

nobodyspecial
180 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 13, 2017 08:56 |  #20

Well i just learned something new.
The Vice President has his own photographer.

aezoss
542 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 13, 2017 18:41 |  #21

Pete's work is fantastic. His photos have done a great job documenting the Obama administration. It would be nice to see The New Guy follow suit.

Lee

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 15, 2017 07:59 |  #22

This might be a little outside the main subject of this thread, but it wasn't until this thread that I realized there is a Flicker account with his images. While looking through them I noticed something that seems like it doesn't follow copyright law. That being that it restricts what the copyright says is allowed. Photos that are a work of the government are Public Domain. Since Mr. Souza was appointed by the President, he was an agent of the government. So any images he creates pursuant to his appointment (to photograph the President), are Public Domain, and people are free to use them freely.

So how can Mr. Souza or anyone in the government say that you can not? Look at some of the images on that Flicker account, and you will see this restriction. Here's one that I noticed; https://www.flickr.com …0894941382/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)

President Barack Obama talks with Council of Economic Advisers Chairman Jason Furman and National Economic Council Director Jeffrey Zients , right, in the Oval Office, Feb. 5, 2015. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

Ron
My Gear List

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,147 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 15, 2017 08:38 |  #23

frozenframe wrote in post #18244952 (external link)
This might be a little outside the main subject of this thread, but it wasn't until this thread that I realized there is a Flicker account with his images. While looking through them I noticed something that seems like it doesn't follow copyright law. That being that it restricts what the copyright says is allowed. Photos that are a work of the government are Public Domain. Since Mr. Souza was appointed by the President, he was an agent of the government. So any images he creates pursuant to his appointment (to photograph the President), are Public Domain, and people are free to use them freely.

So how can Mr. Souza or anyone in the government say that you can not? Look at some of the images on that Flicker account, and you will see this restriction. Here's one that I noticed; https://www.flickr.com …0894941382/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)

Private entities contracted by the government maintain the copyright of the material they produce for the government. That is not different from the position of any photographer contracted by any other entity.

If Sousa were actually a government employee, his work would not be copyrighted, but as a contractor to the government, not only does he retain the copyright. but the government itself will pursue and prosecute copyright violations of the work he produced for the government.

So apparently Sousa is a contractor, not a government employee and not a political appointee.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

FarmerTed1971
THREAD ­ STARTER
fondling the 5D4
6,309 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 15, 2017 11:47 |  #24

http://www.cbsnews.com …-photographer-pete-souza/ (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

PKIDelirium
35 posts
Joined May 2013

Jan 20, 2017 02:25 |  #25

It appears the White House Flickr account has been completely scrubbed, I just was going to look through it for the first time in a while a few minutes ago

60D, Kiss Digital N/350D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50 1.8 II, Tamron 10-24, 75-300 III
Film: AE-1 with FD 50 1.8 S.C. and FD 135 3.5. EOS Rebel T2/300X with 28-90 III
[URL="http://flickr.co​m/donaldflint"][URL="h​ttp://flickr.com/donal​dflint"]Flickr

aezoss
542 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 20, 2017 02:45 |  #26

PKIDelirium wrote in post #18250071 (external link)
It appears the White House Flickr account has been completely scrubbed, I just was going to look through it for the first time in a while a few minutes ago

Archives. More in the Flickr album list.

https://www.flickr.com …se/sets/7215766​3298376255 (external link)
https://www.flickr.com …se/sets/7215762​3126418563 (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/petesouza44 (external link)

Lee

sponsored links

5,377 views & 14 likes for this thread
Pete Souza... what will he do next?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.