Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 14 Mar 2006 (Tuesday) 03:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show me your tripod/monopod rig

meglet
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 02, 2011 23:38 |  #406

I posted somewhere back in this thread of my Gitzo 1541T fully extended holding my gear, I recently acquired a monopod to complement it so here's the set (collapsed cause I was feeling lazy.)

Gitzo 1541T tripod with Markins Q3T head and Gitzo GM2561T monopod with the Joby Ballhead X for QR and tilt functions. The Joby ballhead is a screw clamp that is fully Arca Swiss compatible, weighs about 9 oz, and it works very nicely with my Kirk plates. The monopod/ballhead combo is just over 1lb, which makes it nice and light for carrying around, and in my initial testing it holds up well even under my 60D with 100-400mm lens attached. Note that I don't have to extend the bottom leg section much or at all because I'm not very tall, and that really helps with the stability. :)

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6010/6206047693_9fbc54b62f_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …eghansgallery/6​206047693/  (external link)
Supporting Pair (external link) by Meghan A (external link), on Flickr

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Tamron SP 60mm f/2 Macro Di II | Samyang 8mm f/3.8 VDSLR Fish-eye

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 03, 2011 12:17 |  #407

^^ Very cool! Congrats on the newest addition!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

cmchavis
160 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 04, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ meglet's post |  #408

I haven't upgraded the ball head yet. Will be going with a Markins M20 when I do, but so far this 488RC2 has held everything I have used with it w/o any drooping or creeping problems.

The legs I replaced were 190PROXB legs, but I got tired of stooping to look through the viewfinder. I wanted something with more height. I remember at the time I bought them thinking that paying that much for tripod legs was crazy.

Gitzo GT3541L
Markins TB-30
Manfrotto 488RC2 head

Basically putting together a Magica 3.4 Tripod - piece by piece.

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ukt5Lz_16F0/Tost8_iAfSI/AAAAAAAAAyE/bkcXFkx7CEI/s640/1004-104137-0001.jpg

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 04, 2011 12:11 |  #409

cmchavis wrote in post #13203950 (external link)
I haven't upgraded the ball head yet. Will be going with a Markins M20 when I do, but so far this 488RC2 has held everything I have used with it w/o any drooping or creeping problems.

The legs I replaced were 190PROXB legs, but I got tired of stooping to look through the viewfinder. I wanted something with more height. I remember at the time I bought them thinking that paying that much for tripod legs was crazy.

Gitzo GT3541L
Markins TB-30
Manfrotto 488RC2 head

Basically putting together a Magica 3.4 Tripod - piece by piece.

QUOTED IMAGE

OH! That hurts to see! Get that Q20!!!!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

cmchavis
160 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 04, 2011 13:22 |  #410

ben_r_ wrote in post #13204012 (external link)
OH! That hurts to see! Get that Q20!!!!

Hehe! :) As soon as the wallet recovers from the legs purchase.

Wim ­ Versteeg
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 18, 2011 02:31 |  #411

blk-dslr wrote in post #12237984 (external link)
Gitzo GT5561SGT series 5 carbon tripod with Novoflex CB5-Q ClassicBall 5.
Waiting on my Novoflex QPL VERTIKAL L-shaped plate.

QUOTED IMAGE

I use almost the same configuration, however the rubber knob on my CB-5 is one of the things I dislike. I see you have a different (panning) knob; did you buy the CB-5 with the metal knob or did you replace it?

Regards, Wim

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 08:54 as a reply to  @ meglet's post |  #412

Gitzo 5561t monopod with RRS head and lever release. The top plate was swapped with that from a 2 series, as the original was enormous. I've been carrying it in the Maxpedition Universal sheath on my Lowepro Utility belt. The third photo shows the original large plate.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i17.photobucket​.com …b87/maxselma/DS​CN6167.jpg (external link)

http://i17.photobucket​.com …b87/maxselma/DS​CN6164.jpg (external link)

http://i17.photobucket​.com …selma/Monopodin​Sheath.jpg (external link)

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

hihohito
225 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 20, 2011 04:31 |  #413

Why the need of a top plate? I removed the plate and mount the ballhead direct on the monopod.

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 20, 2011 15:45 |  #414

In almost all the shots I've ever taken with my tripod and head, I've never had an issue with droop -- until last week. Temperatures were below freezing, and with either of my lenses, I could not keep the head from drooping in certain angles. Anyone with a more robust head able to comment on low-temperature work and whether the head keeps a position?

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 20, 2011 15:53 |  #415

Perhaps it was condensation, or your hands were just too cold to tighten it enough. I doubt it was caused by the cold making the ball contract so much that it couldn't be gripped.

Gear List

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 20, 2011 23:35 |  #416

It could have been condensation (hadn't thought of that), but I don't have a ballhead with a tightening lever: it's a pistol-grip style head. I never really checked the ball at all. I was hiking for four hours with the head in my backpack, so I'm not sure if that would have been sufficient time for the condensation to, well, evaporate.

The weird thing is that I've shot with it in the winter, when it was snowing, with no issues. I'm not sure what about this specific trip that made it happen.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 21, 2011 02:09 |  #417

Hmm, being a pistol grip head certainly changes things. Did you try turning the adjustment wheel? Without that they simply go to a preset "squeeze" so any contraction of the ball will indeed make it looser.

Gear List

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 24, 2011 00:48 |  #418

This thread needed a bump.

My current setup: RRS BH-55 with LR clamp mounted on an RRS TVC-33 tripod. Best support I've ever owned.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

Wim ­ Versteeg
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 24, 2011 03:51 |  #419

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13296301 (external link)
This thread needed a bump.

My current setup: RRS BH-55 with LR clamp mounted on an RRS TVC-33 tripod. Best support I've ever owned.

I cannot agree more, you have a very sturdy and outbalanced combination; IMO the people at RRS do an outstanding job. Most of my stuff is from RRS (L-brackets, plates, clamps, etc) except the ballhead and the tripod. I live in Europe and two years ago it was not easy to buy the RRS stuff locally; so my tripod and ballhead are respectively from Gitzo and Novoflex, a very stable combo! Good luck with your RRS combo!
Regards, Wim

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 24, 2011 08:20 |  #420

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

then here's my CT313 next to a friends 213:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

sponsored links

367,544 views & 18 likes for this thread
Show me your tripod/monopod rig
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.