Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 Jan 2017 (Friday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally ready to upgrade from XTi

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by firme. (2 edits in all)

Jan 20, 2017 23:27 |  #1

Hello everyone.

I am finally ready to upgrade from my XTi. I have been looking at the 7D Mark II and the 80D (which I had borrowed from a friend). My uses for the camera are for sweet 16 events, very minimal weddings and the occasional small family events (birthday, baptisms, portrait, etc). I don't do sports or any action other than my son's soccer games. I have been wanting a camera that can do well on low light, specially when a dance floor/church/banquet hall is not well lit. I hope one of these camera will do much better at high ISO as my XTi did not perform well is this category. As well as sharp pictures.

I have a Canon 50mm 2.8 lens and a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens with a Canon 580ex.

I am open to other cameras but I have set a budget of at least $1,500. I have also checked the classifieds here so I am not stuck on a new camera either. As I have seen an ad for:

5D mk ii - $800 obo. comes with grip, battery, cord shutter release and wireless remote. All original inserts and straps included. Shutter count is at 48,XXX

I know this is a discontinued item, but heck I have been using the XTi for a couple of years already.

I have tried to read what I can on these cameras but to be honest I have no knowledge on these at all and have not had any handling on any of these other than 1 day with the 80D. I don't think that counts very much.

By the way do any of these cameras allow for viewing on a ipad or pc tablet on photoshoots wireless or wired?

I thank you in advanced for your help.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 21, 2017 00:14 |  #2

The 80d would be great, check out this review...
https://www.dpreview.c​om/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat. (2 edits in all)

Jan 21, 2017 00:33 |  #3

I agree with TeamSpeed about the 80D. I've had mine for about 2 months now, and it is a lot of camera for the money. It does some things better than the 7D2 does. The 7D2 does other things better than the 80D does. If you are getting by with the XTi, you'll be very happy with the 80D. Here is another review:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Ca​non-EOS-80D.aspx (external link)

Just so you know, your 17-50 won't work on a full frame (5D/II) camera.

EDIT:
I know the 80D can be used wirelessly, for shooting, downloading, and viewing photos. I believe the 7D2 is the same.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 21, 2017 01:54 |  #4

Nothing in your description would seem to imply a need for the 7D2's speed,. and the 80D has a lot of features that are superior to the 7D2 which would be of more use than a slight bump in frames per second and better weather sealing that the 7D2 offers.

So yeah, I'd go 80D :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 21, 2017 03:07 |  #5

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18251038 (external link)
and better weather sealing that the 7D2 offers.

Uh, wut? They sealed the 80D more than the 7dII?? :rolleyes:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 21, 2017 05:51 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18251038 (external link)
Nothing in your description would seem to imply a need for the 7D2's speed,. and the 80D has a lot of features that are superior to the 7D2 which would be of more use than a slight bump in frames per second and better weather sealing that the 7D2 offers.

So yeah, I'd go 80D :)

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18251049 (external link)
Uh, wut? They sealed the 80D more than the 7dII?? :rolleyes:

You may want to re-read what you quoted.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Joined May 2002

Jan 21, 2017 08:14 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #7

Alas no WiFi on the 7d2 ...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,997 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jan 21, 2017 08:16 |  #8

The 7d2 is one of the best sealed non 1d bodies ever seen, according to the tear down we read about, there are seals not found in 1d series bodies, at least older ones.

Nick5
Goldmember
3,107 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 21, 2017 09:32 |  #9

firme wrote in post #18250984 (external link)
Hello everyone.

I am finally ready to upgrade from my XTi. I have been looking at the 7D Mark II and the 80D (which I had borrowed from a friend). My uses for the camera are for sweet 16 events, very minimal weddings and the occasional small family events (birthday, baptisms, portrait, etc). I don't do sports or any action other than my son's soccer games. I have been wanting a camera that can do well on low light, specially when a dance floor/church/banquet hall is not well lit. I hope one of these camera will do much better at high ISO as my XTi did not perform well is this category. As well as sharp pictures.

I have a Canon 50mm 2.8 lens and a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 lens with a Canon 580ex.

I am open to other cameras but I have set a budget of at least $1,500. I have also checked the classifieds here so I am not stuck on a new camera either. As I have seen an ad for:

5D mk ii - $800 obo. comes with grip, battery, cord shutter release and wireless remote. All original inserts and straps included. Shutter count is at 48,XXX

I know this is a discontinued item, but heck I have been using the XTi for a couple of years already.

I have tried to read what I can on these cameras but to be honest I have no knowledge on these at all and have not had any handling on any of these other than 1 day with the 80D. I don't think that counts very much.

By the way do any of these cameras allow for viewing on a ipad or pc tablet on photoshoots wireless or wired?

I thank you in advanced for your help.

Firme.
First off I still have my old Rebel XTi. Loved it. Sure it's sits in the closet, but I tell you what, That camera for its time and price point was a darn fine camera. But like all things it's time to upgrade.
You may want to go to a local shop that has both in stock and get a feel which fits your needs. What feels better in your hands as well. And then choose the one you like. For me the 7D Mark II as it is more robust. It feels better in my hands.
Both are great choices though.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 21, 2017 15:27 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18251182 (external link)
The 7d2 is one of the best sealed non 1d bodies ever seen, according to the tear down we read about, there are seals not found in 1d series bodies, at least older ones.

That's what I read. the xxD bodies were never considered weather sealed in all the years I've followed them. Must be something new with the 80D then (?)

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 21, 2017 15:28 |  #11

BTW my first DSLR was an XTi. Ah the memories. :lol:

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jan 21, 2017 16:00 |  #12

Thank you all for your input. It seems that I will be looking towards the 80D and reading more on it. I saw a new one for $829. May have to pay for shipping but will leave me room to buy a grip for it. Really appreciate the help though.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,929 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 21, 2017 16:04 |  #13

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18251550 (external link)
.... Must be something new with the 80D then (?)

Are you still putting stock in your miss-interpretation of what I typed?

Put another way, I mentioned that two of the 7D2s advantages over the 80D were speed and weather sealing.

Where as the 80D lacking those two things has many other advantages over the 7D2, so many that the only reason to buy a 7D2 over an 80D IMHO, is if you need speed and weather sealing.

Sorry if this was unclear to you before.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tnelson04
158 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2017 06:55 |  #14

+1 on the 80D. While the 7D mark II is a great camera (on paper because I haven't personally used it) it is primarily meant for what you NOT shooting - fast action, etc.

I do own a Canon 80D & love it. If you could get a refurb/used one & save and more $ you could even pick up a 70-200 f/4 IS used/refurbished & fill that $1500 budget.

Back to the body - The 80D is truly an impressive camera for what it costs. It also doesn't sound like you need a full-frame (you mentioned a used 5D) & some of the extra features (Wifi/NFC, the canon app, dual pixel for videos & even the touch screen) make it a pleasure to work with.

I think you will be more than happy with it.

Tnelson04
158 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 22, 2017 06:58 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #15

I do know that the 80D has some weather sealing:

http://www.switchbackt​ravel.com …-sealed-dslr-cameras-list (external link)

sponsored links

4,615 views & 3 likes for this thread
Finally ready to upgrade from XTi
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.