Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2017 (Tuesday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fujinon 23mm or 18-55mm?

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Exposure101.

Feb 14, 2017 17:24 |  #1

Hello All,

Looking to pick up either an x-T2 or x-t20 and was wondering if I should stick with the kit lens or get the 23mm F2. For now either one would be my one and only lens for traveling. I looked at the 16mm (too expensive) and 18mm (not that great) and narrowed down to the 23mm and 18-55mm.

Please chime in Fuji experts. Not looking to carry or buy multiple lenses at the moment hence I'm hoping to make the most sensible decision.

Thank you!

sponsored links
Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2017 19:34 |  #2

18-55 for what you are looking for all day. I haven't used the 23 f2, but I have th 1.4 and 18-55, and if I could only have one as you state, the 18-55 would make more sense.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 4 years ago by Exposure101.

Feb 14, 2017 20:22 as a reply to  @ Nick3434's post |  #3

Thanks Nick. Any concerns about non weather sealed cameras/lenses in high humidity or dusty environments?

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2017 22:54 |  #4

Either... or both ;)

I would go with the 18-55mm all day long though, the 18-55mm is fantastic, and I don't typically like zooms. It's silent, well built, light, has great OIS and it's a solid performer.

I also resent the comment of the 18mm f2 being "not that great", it's tied with my 35/1.4 for favorite lens ;)

As for the weather sealing comment... maybe I've just been very lucky for as long as I've been shooting, but the only weather sealed camera I've ever owned prior to my X-Pro2 was my 6D and with that camera I didn't even have any weather sealed lenses for very long (sold my 24-105L shortly after buying the kit) and I take my cameras all over and shoot with them in any weather I happen to encounter and so far haven't had any issues.

My Fuji kits have been in snow, light rain, at the beach, in and out of very hot humid summer days and cold AC interiors and while the condensation is annoying when you forget to take the proper preventative measures, it hasn't ruined anything.

Fuji X-T3 // Fuji X-Pro2 (Full Spectrum) // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 15, 2017 15:08 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #5

Your post was pretty convincing so I'll stick with the 18-55mm. Thank you!

Waiting for a deal to come up.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (2 edits in all)

Feb 15, 2017 22:06 |  #6

Exposure101 wrote in post #18274700 (external link)
Your post was pretty convincing so I'll stick with the 18-55mm. Thank you!

Waiting for a deal to come up.

No problem! I'm sure you won't be disappointed, the 18-55mm would be a great travel companion.

I will say though, that if it were me I would go for an 18mm f2 and 35/1.4, for me they make the perfect 2 lens travel kit... they are both tiny, have the same lens caps, same hood and complement each-other's FOV perfectly. I very often will take only my X-Pro2 with one of those two lenses attached with the other in my pocket when I go out since when I need to swap lenses I can just swap the caps and hood too and thus only have to carry the spare lens with it's cap in my pocket.

With this combo you lose the flexibility and ease of use of the zoom and the OIS, but you gain one stop of light at 18mm and nearly 3 at 35mm... it really just depends on what you intend to use the kit to shoot. I take the zoom with me when I'm doing things like zoo outings or car events, but I use primes for most everything else. Obviously prime vs. zoom is very subjective.

Just a thought since each lens can be found used for under $300 ;)

flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 15, 2017 23:38 as a reply to  @ EverydayGetaway's post |  #7

I feel you. I had thought about getting 2 primes (23mm and 50mm both f2). Each can be had for around $300 used. However, getting 2 lenses plus the body is too much of an investment right now so I'm minimizing it by getting just one. If I find that it doesn't suit my needs I will sell it and get something else.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,830 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by EverydayGetaway. (2 edits in all)

Feb 16, 2017 00:17 |  #8

Exposure101 wrote in post #18275152 (external link)
I feel you. I had thought about getting 2 primes (23mm and 50mm both f2). Each can be had for around $300 used. However, getting 2 lenses plus the body is too much of an investment right now so I'm minimizing it by getting just one. If I find that it doesn't suit my needs I will sell it and get something else.

If you're looking to save some money and the Fuji won't be your main system, you may also want to consider the X-T1 or X-T10. The image quality isn't far off (some even argue it's better) and the AF is plenty fast for most things (like travel photography).

I don't bat an eye when it comes to using either my X-Pro2 or X100T (or formerly X-E2) for the best image quality, both sensors produce awesome results. Considering you can find X-T1s pretty regularly now for $500, it's one hell of a camera for the money... so much so that I'm reaaallly tempted to buy one even though I definitely don't need one :lol:

mlbsport
45 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 10, 2017 21:32 |  #9

I would go for 23mm just because I did not like how heavy 18-55 lens when it is mounted on my xt-1. I mean yes, it is still very small zoom lens compare to DSLR zoom lens but my whole reason of changing my gear to fuji is downsizing and I like smaller and lighter lenses. PLUS it has weather sealing :)

Exposure101
THREAD ­ STARTER
555 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 10, 2017 21:35 as a reply to  @ mlbsport's post |  #10

Ended up buying a 35mm f2 and liking it. I thought about the 23mm and at that FOV it's too close to the 18mm. Decided that the 35mm would give me the 50mm FOV that I think is good for portraits.

mlbsport
45 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 10, 2017 21:37 |  #11

Oh if you had 18mm lens than it would make more sense to get 35mm or 50mm lens. :) I am lurking for 18mm lens as I also have 35mm at this point :)

sponsored links

5,942 views & 3 likes for this thread
Fujinon 23mm or 18-55mm?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.