Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2017 (Friday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 6D shutter RIP @ Carnaval after 2 years & 20 days :-( Anyone let his shutter repair allready?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by CanonYouCan.

Mar 03, 2017 17:37 |  #1

My waranty of 2 years was just over, and 20 days later bingo... just like that Canon measured it perfectly not having to give waranty :(
Since 2 years I use it for HDR photography (3 pics at once), I didn't check the shuttercount.

At carnaval I took a serie of pics fast (I always select the multiple pic option) and suddenly I saw a black line in my sensor, it was one of the shutterblades that got loose :(
I sent it in for repair, it would cost me around €270 + €35 for a "luxurous sensor cleaning".

The guy from the repairstore called me allready 3 hours after he received my 6D by post and he said he thinks there are some scratches on the sensor.
He will take pictures and email them to me, then I can decide to pay for the repair, or if it isn't worth anymore I can leave it there and then I don't need to pay for the repair and they use it for spare parts.
Strange that they use secondhand parts for other repairs.
Also it's difficult to know if they send the pictures of my cam, they can as well send them from another cam...

Anyone else had to repair his shutter also and how was the state afterwards, any visible scratches on your sensor and disturbing ?
He said if there would be scratches it would be most noticable at higher apertures.

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 16-35 F4 L | Sigma 85 1.4 Art | 70-200 2.8L II
Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid + Speedlite Flash bender
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

sponsored links
Choderboy
I like a long knob
6,727 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 03, 2017 17:59 |  #2

I have not had a shutter repaired myself. It is a fact that sometimes when the shutter fails the sensor can be scratched (not really the sensor, the filter above the sensor). I don't think it's strange to use second hand parts for repairs. I think it's very common.
It's true you can't be sure the repairer is honest so if you want to be sure, pay for the body to be sent back to you. I'd take the option of trusting them.

Dave
Image editing OK

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 03, 2017 18:07 |  #3

you'll have to wait and see. I have a totally scuffed up sensor cover on one of cameras, and if I didnt tell you, you'de never find out. F22 shot in the sky, and cant find it, but using a loup, it's all over. For some reason, the scuffs dont show up, but sensor dust spot will immediately.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by ejenner.

Mar 07, 2017 22:47 |  #4

Yea, looking at your lenses, if you don't go narrower than f8, you won't see small scratches. However, although I haven't heard this happening, I could imagine the shutter scratching up the 'sensor' pretty badly if it actually came loose.

I would ask for photos of the sky at f11 unless you regularly shoot narrower. If you can't see them at f11, then on the occasion you go to f16 or even f22 you might just have a bit of touch-up to do in sky or blank areas.

Also, just like with cars here, very usually to use used/refurbished parts to save money. You have a dead camera because of a circuit board failure - use the other parts that are just fine. Not like a sensor cover is going to get worn out.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,917 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 08, 2017 00:14 |  #5

Go get the camera and send it to Canon.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,984 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 08, 2017 02:40 |  #6

Given the sensor assembly should take around 10 minutes or less to remove and check for damage, I'd be very wary that the "repairstore" hasn't done a proper job.

Are they claiming to have already replaced the shutter? if not then I'd be asking them to send it back to you and charge only minimal labour for inspecting the camera.
If they have replaced the shutter, I'd be asking for a photo or two of the broken one, just to see their response...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

1,983 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 6D shutter RIP @ Carnaval after 2 years & 20 days :-( Anyone let his shutter repair allready?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.