Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 11 Apr 2017 (Tuesday) 15:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Canon body for Macro?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2017 14:51 |  #16

Sensor wise, about any Canon camera is great for macros. It comes down to the lens you want to use (focal length dictates working distance assuming a 1:1 macro lens), IS or not, lighting, and the features of the body you use. An articulating screen and live view are very, very nice tools for macros, as is pretty decent higher ISO values in case you cannot get auxiliary lighting on the subject material. The rest of the equation will really be the lighting and lens.

I wish the 7D2 had a tilting screen, these would be easier to get, even when I use live view.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,441 posts
Gallery: 1762 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 14, 2017 15:23 |  #17

I have an old T4i that I've used for a lot of macro. I generally shoot at the level or below the subject to nuke backgrounds for isolation and use flash.

The benefit of LiveView focus besides being able to see another angle without laying down on the ground (which I still do, hah), is you can focus through F8+ systems in LiveView (it will at least attempt!).

T4i:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/490/19475733014_c8679a6f68.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vF1d​Uf  (external link) IMG_4526 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8849/18045405565_0cef0d9034.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/tuBq​oa  (external link) IMG_4289 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3892/15109651662_641d8d62f1.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/p2bV​2y  (external link) IMG_0536 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,426 posts
Gallery: 429 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2017 15:40 |  #18

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18327959 (external link)
I wish the 7D2 had a tilting screen, these would be easier to get, even when I use live view.

How is a tilt screen used for macro? There are so many ways to shoot macro, so it is not clear. I shoot macro hand-held with diffused flash and don't miss a tilt screen. Are you thinking Live View with static subjects?

I want to do more natural light macro this season. Maybe a tilt screen would be helpful - but I'm still thinking just for static subjects, and not for active bugs.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 14, 2017 15:44 |  #19

Archibald wrote in post #18327995 (external link)
How is a tilt screen used for macro? There are so many ways to shoot macro, so it is not clear. I shoot macro hand-held with diffused flash and don't miss a tilt screen. Are you thinking Live View with static subjects?

I want to do more natural light macro this season. Maybe a tilt screen would be helpful - but I'm still thinking just for static subjects, and not for active bugs.

When the bees are out later this season, it is often very uncomfortable bending in strange positions getting them as they land on each flower on some of our lower trees and bushes. Having a tilt screen means I can hold the camera in a way to get a good perspective on the bee, but not lay on the ground, etc. Often the best angle on a subject for a macro isn't the most comfortable for reviewing on the rear screen with live view, not even insects, but also flowers, etc.

Back in 2004 or before, I had a Canon G2 4Mpx camera that had a tilt screen, it was then when I realized how useful that would be. It has only taken Canon a decade to start to make that feature mainstream on their DSLRs.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,426 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2017 15:52 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18328000 (external link)
When the bees are out later this season, it is often very uncomfortable bending in strange positions getting them as they land on each flower on some of our lower trees and bushes. Having a tilt screen means I can hold the camera in a way to get a good perspective on the bee, but not lay on the ground, etc. Often the best angle on a subject for a macro isn't the most comfortable for reviewing on the rear screen with live view, not even insects, but also flowers, etc.

I have to agree with what you are saying here, I just don't understand the implementation. You chase bees in LV?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2017 15:54 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #21

Yes, I don't look through the viewfinder and move around a flowery bush, where there is one bee, there are about 100 others, along with some wasps. I certainly don't want to bump into and disrupt the other critters, that is begging to be stung. Not just bees either.

This is a pic from that G2 a decade and a half ago... Again, I want to be aware of everything around me when I am shooting insects that can inflict pain.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Macro-Magic/i-qVJqb44/0/X2/IMG_0701-X2.jpg

Taken in later years with live view...
IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Macro-Magic/i-4JF78ch/0/X2/1DM33874-X2.jpg

Here is another case. This critter was on our pear tree off our deck railing. There is no way to use the viewfinder here, unless I was about 10' tall. I hung out and used live view on the 50D.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Macro-Magic/i-xbfRVcw/0/X2/IMG_0504-X2.jpg

And I really don't want to upset these guys... So live view again, but here the tilt screen would have been helpful, because again I was over a railing.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Macro-Magic/i-zQtxSBV/0/X3/5P1B3207-X3.jpg

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,459 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 14, 2017 15:56 |  #22

Some macro lenses are MF, many have slow AF,.

One of the tried and true methods of achieving focus for macro "on the fly" is the not use AF, but instead preset focus and move in and out physically until focus is achieved. Live view is superb for this method.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)
-EOS 1DX 2 For Sale- $2,950.00

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2017 16:00 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18328014 (external link)
Some macro lenses are MF, many have slow AF,.

One of the tried and true methods of achieving focus for macro "on the fly" is the not use AF, but instead preset focus and move in and out physically until focus is achieved. Live view is superb for this method.

Exactly true, perhaps I missed the point of the original question, but yes, very good answer. I never use AF with my macro lenses, even my 100L. I always set focus to the closest setting and sway. AF on any macro lens, in many cases, just isn't fast enough anyways, even the 100L. Now for static subjects like jewelry, coins, etc, I sometimes will use AF, but still use live view, DPAF is very good.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,426 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2017 16:11 |  #24

Alright, always trying to learn new tricks. I will give LV with DPAF a try and maybe upgrade the 7D2 to a body with tilt screen. :-)

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,426 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2017 16:17 |  #25

Just to follow up on this, and reflecting on Jake's post...

When shooting active bugs, I have tried MF and AF, and both give problems and failures. But in my experience, AF (through the viewfinder) still has a higher success rate. It depends on the situation, though, but usually at less than 1x, AF works best for me.

When in LV and after bugs, I can't imagine being able to focus manually at 10x magnification on the LCD, so I think I would have to use AF.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2017 16:27 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #26

You don't have to zoom to 10x while in LV? You don't even have to go to 5x if you don't want to. I don't believe I zoomed in at all during LV for the shots above.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,426 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 14, 2017 16:37 |  #27

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18328038 (external link)
You don't have to zoom to 10x while in LV? You don't even have to go to 5x if you don't want to. I don't believe I zoomed in at all during LV for the shots above.

The proof will be in the doing, and I will give it a try. In macro, critically sharp focus is essential.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Ronny ­ Geenen
THREAD ­ STARTER
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2017 21:16 as a reply to  @ post 18327896 |  #28

Thank you for your knowledge. I still think that the less weight of the 77D is also a benefit.
I am going to put the info of the 77D and the 80D beside each other.
The body of my choice will be connected with the L lens 100mm macro.
Beside I did enjoy the images presented on this subject.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,229 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 14, 2017 21:25 |  #29

i went from a 40D to a 70D, not just for macro, but for everything the controls are similar enough that i don't really think there was any difficulty adapting to the new camera...my main problem is now when i go back to the 40D, or 5dc i'm always trying to move things on the screen by touching them...are you using flash for your macro shots? or just upping the ISO...if you are using flash i think an older body with an articulating screen would work fine for you

Archibald wrote in post #18328031 (external link)
Just to follow up on this, and reflecting on Jake's post...

When shooting active bugs, I have tried MF and AF, and both give problems and failures. But in my experience, AF (through the viewfinder) still has a higher success rate. It depends on the situation, though, but usually at less than 1x, AF works best for me.

When in LV and after bugs, I can't imagine being able to focus manually at 10x magnification on the LCD, so I think I would have to use AF.

you don't physically manually focus the lens...you move the whole set up in or out to achieve focus...using live view makes it much easier to see...you do want to have some way to try and brace yourself so you don't move the camera out of focus when taking the shot though...and yeah, no need for 10X zoom...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,419 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 14, 2017 21:40 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #30

That is what I do, and did for this. We have a Canadian Red Choke Cherry tree that developed a fungus. We cut the entire 4 main trunks down to about 5' from the ground, no branches left. Now that spring is here, it is sprouting branches all over the 4 main trunks. Makes for an interesting macro shot...

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

18,114 views & 12 likes for this thread
Which Canon body for Macro?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.