Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,244 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by rantercsr.

Apr 22, 2017 15:11 as a reply to  @ post 18335016 |  #136

I know what you mean..

my first mirrorless was a Panasonic gx8.. and it had the silent mode and who knows how many fps in silent mode .. while I personally would never use 20fps , a quick 3 or 4 pic burst does come in handy (for me)
but at first I ended up with tons of images that I didn't need to shoot as I would press shutter longer than I needed as I was never sure when it was shooting or if it was shooting

but for those that do need those high fps .. that a9 link seems like no visual lag at all

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

sponsored links
idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc.

Apr 22, 2017 15:23 |  #137

rantercsr wrote in post #18335032 (external link)
I know what you mean..

my first mirrorless was a Panasonic gx8.. and it had the silent mode and who knows how many fps in silent mode .. while I personally would never use 20fps , a quick 3 or 4 pic burst does come in handy (for me)
but at first I ended up with tons of images that I didn't need to shoot as I would press shutter longer than I needed as I was never sure when it was shooting or if it was shooting

but for those that do need those high fps .. that a9 link seems like no visual lag at all

I wish there was an easier way to try out Sony cameras since their Sony store nearby shut down. $7500 to replace the Fujifilm XT2 + 50-140 / supplement the 1DXII + 70-200. Hrm...

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 22, 2017 15:33 |  #138
bannedPermanent ban

idkdc wrote in post #18335047 (external link)
I wish there was an easier way to try out Sony cameras since their Sony store nearby shut down. $7500 to replace the Fujifilm XT2 + 50-140 / supplement the 1DXII + 70-200. Hrm...

with so many samys cameras around, it should be fairly easy

https://www.google.com …3358359,12z/dat​a=!3m1!4b1 (external link)

Gear List

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 22, 2017 15:37 |  #139

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18335058 (external link)
with so many samys cameras around, it should be fairly easy

https://www.google.com …3358359,12z/dat​a=!3m1!4b1 (external link)

I've worked with Samy's before. Don't really like them. They still have several of my basic purchases backordered without warning. I prefer the Canon Learning Center and trade shows in general where the personnel not selling product on hand or earning commission.

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 22, 2017 15:38 |  #140

idkdc wrote in post #18335047 (external link)

REPLACE???

Replace is for LOL-Poors. Real GAS addicts add to...not replace.

:grin:

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc. (4 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2017 15:42 |  #141

rxjohn wrote in post #18335065 (external link)
REPLACE???

Replace is for LOL-Poors. Real GAS addicts add to...not replace.

:grin:

LOLOL. Peasants with 401K's and living costs.

Although on a serious note, I don't see the need for two separate mirrorless systems to supplement the 1DXII and 70-200. I mean, I'll probably keep the XT2 around for my assistants to use, but I won't personally be using all three systems at once.

I don't have GAS. *Rocks back and forth in a ball*

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 22, 2017 15:48 |  #142

At what point does the mirror in DSLR become obsolete?

Like the dial on the phone... VHS, ..... film.. :eek: gasp....I said it. Film!!! Oh man...that's a flaming word.

With the advances made in EVF, OVF, prism, and mirror may render obsolete.. :p

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 22, 2017 15:49 |  #143
bannedPermanent ban

rxjohn wrote in post #18335079 (external link)

Like the dial on the phone... VHS, ..... film.. :eek: gasp....I said it. Film!!! Oh man...that's a flaming word.

about 3 years ago ;)

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,116 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 22, 2017 15:56 |  #144

I don't know, I was supposed to love the EVF on my mirrorless, but I still do not like it at all.
I am sure some day we will be able to replace analog line of sight with something electronic that is an improvement, but IMHO it's not there yet. It certainly was not there 3 years ago.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 22, 2017 15:59 |  #145

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18335091 (external link)
I don't know, I was supposed to love the EVF on my mirrorless, but I still do not like it at all.
I am sure some day we will be able to replace analog line of sight with something electronic that is an improvement, but IMHO it's not there yet. It certainly was not there 3 years ago.

I get better timing on my OVF than my EVF. I can recall exactly what split second I took a frame at and not have to chimp afterwards to confirm the moment. With EVF, I find I have to pray and spray a lot more (view moments in retrospect). Is this similar to your experience?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,116 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2017 16:01 |  #146

Positively. EVF looks like watching a video, not watching what's happening in front of you. And that video is time delayed ;)

Of course mirrorless will always be EVF, the whole point was to make it smaller, more affordable and less complex mechanically by doing away with the mirror, it's in the name! but even SONY sees a place for the old DSLR in the a99. That said, it's clear that the a99 gets very little market share compared to their mirrorless, so I must be in the minority here.

“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2017 16:07 |  #147

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18335099 (external link)
Positively. EVF looks like watching a video, not watching what's happening in front of you. And that video is time delayed ;)

Would you say it's like you're observing life as a T2000? :D

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2017 16:11 |  #148

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18335099 (external link)
Of course mirrorless will always be EVF, the whole point was to make it smaller, more affordable and less complex mechanically by doing away with the mirror, it's in the name! but even SONY sees a place for the old DSLR in the a99. That said, it's clear that the a99 gets very little market share compared to their mirrorless, so I must be in the minority here.

I think the reason why the a99 doesn't get very much market share because it's not smaller, it's not more affordable, it's not less complex mechanically, and it's not that much different than a traditional DSLR system with all the downsides of a newish system - less lenses, less support, less repairs.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,902 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2017 17:24 |  #149

rxjohn wrote in post #18335079 (external link)

We are very, very close, if not already there! Our cameras are so dependent upon batteries now, unlike the SLR of 1960, that battery life issues are only a matter of degree. I used to go 1 year with a meter battery in the film SLR. Now with average use, a day or two. Going on a trek in the Himalaya's...you'd better plan that one very well!

The A9 has gone a very long way to addressing many/most of the things I voiced in the past as making mirrorless a better competitor, I can't think of much more!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 22, 2017 17:42 |  #150

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18335091 (external link)

Gonna be honest, Jake, I've got a love-hate relationship with EVF.

I love seeing what will essentially be the image I shoot before I shoot it through the viewfinder.

I hate what I suspect the EVF is doing to my eyesight. (read: making it worse)

Admittedly, I've never heard anyone else complain of this before. And to boot, I've found that my physical decline is real now that I'm a little past 40. But it is definitely something I'm worried about.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

36,244 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.