Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2017 17:48 |  #181
bannedPermanent ban

another cool news, much better if you need long reach with extenders

Great review brian! Question about use of TC’s: Canon can AF with a TC at f/8 but only on the center AF sensor. Do you know how many sensors are active on the a9 with a 1.4 and 2.0 TC at f/8 and f/11 respectively? Is it just the center, or more? Thanks!

Sony AF doesn’t work like Canon’s. You get all or nothing.

Despite that, I consider the FE 1.4x TC to be more practical. I’m just not excited about a F11 max aperture

Agreed. But to have all focus points active and tracking at f/8 – compared to Canon just one – that will be a huge deal. Thanks!

http://briansmith.com …100-400mm-gm-lens-review/ (external link)

with A9, you can autofocus using all points up to F11, when using extenders.

Gear List

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2017 18:49 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #182

=]

Sounds nice, but I just realized that if we're shooting continuously while the subject is moving toward/away from us, we are forcing the AF to do so at the shooting aperture (let us assume f/11, for discussion) and AF precision is affected 'to within one DOF zone (at f/11)', so AF is not tracking so hot at that aperture, is it?!
At f/11, 800mm has a 20/20 vision 6.9' DOF zone at 250'. At 500' distance we're framing 15' x 22.5' and our 20/20 vision DOF with 800mm at f/11 is 28'.

Is AF at that aperture of much use with fast moving subjects?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,081 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 26, 2017 21:30 |  #183

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18339426 (external link)
another cool news, much better if you need long reach with extenders

http://briansmith.com …100-400mm-gm-lens-review/ (external link)

That's impressive!

FYI Modern Canon bodies will let you use all AF points @ f/8.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 26, 2017 22:32 |  #184
bannedPermanent ban

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18339622 (external link)
That's impressive!

FYI Modern Canon bodies will let you use all AF points @ f/8.

but with F11, that gives you an extra edge in low light as well.

Gear List

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 27, 2017 01:24 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #185

Isn't it the case that the latest Canons will focus with all points as long as the lens maximum aperture is F/8 or wider. So it's not so much about the light as about the lens and converter being used.

I recall a discussion somewhere else regarding whether or not the A9 focused stepped down or wide open in tracking mode.

Looking forward to learning from the reviews how the A9 AF performs in real shooting situations.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 27, 2017 09:37 |  #186

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18339664 (external link)
but with F11, that gives you an extra edge in low light as well.

You mean brighter light?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 27, 2017 09:38 |  #187

DaviSto wrote in post #18339759 (external link)
Isn't it the case that the latest Canons will focus with all points as long as the lens maximum aperture is F/8 or wider. So it's not so much about the light as about the lens and converter being used.

I recall a discussion somewhere else regarding whether or not the A9 focused stepped down or wide open in tracking mode.

Looking forward to learning from the reviews how the A9 AF performs in real shooting situations.

Only the 5d4 and 1dx2

the 5d3 was Center point only i believe :(

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 27, 2017 10:20 |  #188

jonneymendoza wrote in post #18339972 (external link)
Only the 5d4 and 1dx2

the 5d3 was Center point only i believe :(

The 5Diii is still just as good a camera as it was the day it launched. But it can no longer be regarded as one of the latest Canons, I think.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 27, 2017 10:31 |  #189

https://www.youtube.co​m …tr_tag=orrsE4QX​G-KtXelG-6 (external link)

alex66
247 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 27, 2017 10:40 |  #190

DaviSto wrote in post #18340018 (external link)
The 5Diii is still just as good a camera as it was the day it launched. But it can no longer be regarded as one of the latest Canons, I think.

This is an interesting, the 5d 1-3 or any other camera you care to mention was at one point seen as state of the art. A lot of the good ones from the last 5-7 years or longer though are not that much worse than what you get now, they may AF a bit slower or have a bit more noise at higher ISO but on the whole they will produce great images. If all I could afford was something like a 5D2 and a 50mm I would not feel I was seriously hampered by what he camera lacked. If I was a sports shooter then unless the A9 could do something I required then I would stick with a 1Dx or D5 and keep the money, great if either your boss buys the gear for you and gets you the latest or you have money to burn but if the cam does not earn you more money is your older model not good enough? It would have been fantastic once.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2017 10:47 |  #191
bannedPermanent ban

Our initial impressions line up with these claims: every now and then the camera might lose the subject, but it very quickly returns, something we can't say about the Canon 1D X II when its predictive algorithm fails.

https://www.dpreview.c​om …-a9-shooting-experience/4 (external link)

Gear List

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2017 10:48 |  #192
bannedPermanent ban

20fps burst is impressive

http://www.imaging-resource.com …y-a9/sony-a9A.HTM#gallery (external link)

Gear List

Wilt
41,889 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Apr 27, 2017 11:42 |  #193

Wilt wrote in post #18339167 (external link)

1. So to still any doubts, "The continuous shooting speed goes up to 20fps with full sized RAW images and AF/AE Tracking."
  2. But OTOH, "Be aware that the speed is capped at 12fps if you shoot 14-bit uncompressed RAW files."
  3. And the 120 fps EVF rate is, when simply viewing and not shooting, because "the refresh rate goes up to 120fps (but drops to 60fps during continuous shooting)"

We are starting to get more real validation, and depend less upon speculation or wishful thinking.

We do not know if the A9 camera drops to 12-bit data in silent shutter mode, as it does on the A7RII.
We also have heard (via Tony Northrup on YouTube) that A7RII DR is a bit better than the A9.

Per DPReview, the A9 does indeed (like the A7RII) drop into 12-bit data mode 'during continuous electonic modes (anything above 5 fps)'

And per a second Tony Northrup video

• 20fps is achieved only when 'not focusing'; while focus updating, in the range of only 10-15fps is possible
  • buffer fills up with about 220 compressed RAW shots, or about 113 uncompressed RAW, then take about 2 minutes to clear the buffer, which restricts camera functions during clearing
  • evidence of 'rolling shutter' is largely gone (not quite completely) for still images, but video shooters still noticed rolling shutter effects, though greatly reduced from A7SII.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13. (2 edits in all)

Apr 27, 2017 12:12 |  #194
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18340103 (external link)
Per DPReview, the A9 does indeed (like the A7RII) drop into 12-bit data mode 'during continuous electonic modes (anything above 5 fps)'

And per a second Tony Northrup video

• 20fps is achieved only when 'not focusing'; while focus updating, in the range of only 10-15fps is possible
  • buffer fills up with about 220 compressed RAW shots, or about 113 uncompressed RAW, then take about 2 minutes to clear the buffer, which restricts camera functions during clearing
  • evidence of 'rolling shutter' is largely gone (not quite completely) for still images, but video shooters still noticed rolling shutter effects, though greatly reduced from A7SII.

I don't know what Tony is blabbing about... but it's been shown time and time again, does it does autofocus 60 times a second during 20fps burst.

20fps with autofocus
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=QEHbKghfgtY (external link)

another video https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=1K5llXDe7BI (external link)

Gear List

Wilt
41,889 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 27, 2017 12:23 as a reply to  @ nekrosoft13's post |  #195

nekrosoft, if you re-read what I posted, it is a statement made by someone else (Tony Northrup), but to reword what you are rather vehemently objecting to...

"IF the camera is NOT FOCUSING, you can shoot 20fps. But if the camera is focusing while tracking the subject, the camera is limited to 10-15fps."

There is ZERO statement about focusing frequency. It is only about SHOOTING FRAME RATE.

sponsored links

36,162 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.