Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 19 Apr 2017 (Wednesday) 10:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9 Announced

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2017 18:09 as a reply to  @ post 18334248 |  #91

You do know that the Batis line are AF lenses, right?

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,028 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Apr 21, 2017 18:53 as a reply to  @ mickeyb105's post |  #92

Yes. But all those other (of 22) lenses in the link by bpaulette were manual focus; only the two Batis were AF. So the existence of any other WA alternatives would be of less interest to aging eyes.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13.

Apr 21, 2017 19:22 |  #93
bannedPermanent ban

I agree manual focus sucks... On Canon...

On Sony manual focus is super easy with focus peaking.

And if you really are not capable of manual focusing for some reason, buy techart pro you can auto focus almost any manual only lens from Olympus, leica, Pentax, Zeiss, Minolta or anything you can think of.

Gear List

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,208 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 21, 2017 19:30 |  #94

Wilt wrote in post #18333564 (external link)
But as a Petapixel article has shown, the reduction in body size and weight does not always translate into similar savings of lens size and weight...a number of comparative photos have shown that with comparable FL and aperture lenses, the body+lens combination might actually be a bit deeper than the dSLR equivalent. Same FL for same sensor size = very similar weight and length of lens...thinner body can mean that more barrel length is needed (if the optical design was not specifically for a 'more telephoto' version of the same FL.)

https://petapixel.com …mirrorless-fatal-mistake/ (external link)

A9, 1Dx, D5, no difference in size of body I'm sure :-P

Talley wrote in post #18334225 (external link)
Sony A9 is great but what is not great is Sony glass. Big and heavy. I know this A9 is not targeting the "light" crowd but for those who travel and/or want light the Fuji system being crop provides wonderful lenses/camera for a total workable system that is light as can be. I'm very envious of my wifes X-T20 at times.

any comparable sony lens will be substantially better when mated on the A7rii.

b18, b25, 28, 35, 50, 55, 85 and while that's not as many as fuji offers, it's a lot of offering at this point, all smallish sizes and reasonably fast lenses.

Wilt wrote in post #18334206 (external link)
How do you figure?

• 2380g 5D MkIV w/ 70-200 f/2.8
  • 2105g A7RII w/ 70-200 f/2.8

difference = 275g or 9.7oz

Add in another body and more lenses, many folks shoot/travel with multiple bodies. There are many shooting scenarios, not just ones with the 70-200.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by nekrosoft13.

Apr 21, 2017 19:34 |  #95
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt wrote in post #18334206 (external link)
How do you figure?

• 2380g 5D MkIV w/ 70-200 f/2.8
  • 2105g A7RII w/ 70-200 f/2.8

difference = 275g or 9.7oz

I think you're lost, look up in what thread your in... Is about this new thing called a9, that is direct competition to 1dxii

Gear List

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,539 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 21, 2017 19:39 |  #96

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18334303 (external link)
I agree manual focus sucks... On Canon...

On Sony manual focus is super easy with focus peaking.

And if you really are not capable of manual focusing for some reason, buy techart pro you can auto focus almost any manual only lens from Olympus, leica, Pentax, Zeiss, Minolta or anything you can think of.

Manual focus on Canon is not that difficult with LV and 10x and if your stacking just pick a spot and go in/out mm by mm until you get the DOF you want.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,028 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 21, 2017 19:56 |  #97

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18334317 (external link)
I think you're lost, look up in what thread your in... Is about this new thing called a9, that is direct competition to 1dxii

You cannot get an A9 yet; B&H this very afternoon sent me an email saying I could PRE-ORDER one. I based my figures upon a very respected Sony body, until Sony came out with what they consider to be 'professional' grade camera (A9) to complement the 'semi professional' (Sony's term, not mine!) A7RII

You can put away the attitude, please.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Apr 21, 2017 20:58 |  #98

nekrosoft13 wrote in post #18334317 (external link)

I don't really see it as direct competition until Sony switches from Precision Imaging. I would consider it a supplementary tool for a while, not a primary workhorse until Sony can do their repairs in house. Was there an update on that in their announcement?

gjl711 wrote in post #18334321 (external link)
Manual focus on Canon is not that difficult with LV and 10x and if your stacking just pick a spot and go in/out mm by mm until you get the DOF you want.

I never really found focus peaking that accurate in cinema cameras, at least at wide apertures. I just prefer to zoom in at 10x.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2017 21:59 |  #99

idkdc wrote in post #18334393 (external link)
I don't really see it as direct competition until Sony switches from Precision Imaging. I would consider it a supplementary tool for a while, not a primary workhorse until Sony can do their repairs in house. Was there an update on that in their announcement?

I do believe Sony announced walk-in locations for Sony pros opening in NYC and LA. I have no idea if they will be affiliated with Precision Imaging, or not.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 21, 2017 22:18 |  #100
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18334426 (external link)
I do believe Sony announced walk-in locations for Sony pros opening in NYC and LA. I have no idea if they will be affiliated with Precision Imaging, or not.

I had my Olymplus, my sigma lens fixed by Precision, zero issues, my friend had his Nikon fixed by precision, also zero issues.

Gear List

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 22, 2017 00:31 |  #101

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18334426 (external link)

Awesome. Hopefully they are in-house.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,319 posts
Gallery: 153 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Apr 22, 2017 04:53 |  #102

bpaulette wrote in post #18333946 (external link)
Just curious - have you ever actually held a gripped A7 series camera? Or did you notice previous posts where several of us point out that we use them very comfortably? I'm confused at some of these outside opinions, based on no personal experience, stated like facts. e.g. "even with the grip the camera is too small for comfortable use"

An A7, no - I have not used one. But I have used a Canon 40D, 50D, 5D, and 1D series bodies. Among these, only the big 1D series feels comfortable in my hands. I have also used smaller cameras such as the Sony H5, and it was even more uncomfortable than the Canon 5D and 50D cameras.

The only thing about the 5D and 50D that is uncomfortable is the size. The Sonys are even smaller than the 5D and the 50D, so it stands to reason that the Sonys would also be uncomfortable to use, due to size. I mean, if I am uncomfortable using smaller cameras I do not have to personally try every single small camera to know that they will be uncomfortable.

When I go to buy clothes, I don't have to try the Medium and Large shirts on to know that they won't fit - I already know that they won't fit me comfortably. It is no different with cameras..........no, it really isn't any different with cameras.

rxjohn wrote in post #18333942 (external link)
Smaller and lighter is better for laptops.. processors.. cameras...whatever.

No, not necessarily. Some of us prefer larger sized cameras, all else being equal.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by DaviSto.

Apr 22, 2017 05:59 |  #103

rxjohn wrote in post #18333942 (external link)
:p

Size preference depends on the items...

Bigger is better for TV... Monitors.. Trucks... House.. burgers..

Smaller and lighter is better for laptops.. processors.. cameras...whatever.

I have a Surface laptop/tablet hybrid that I use when I am on the move. I'm really happy with it. ... I also have a 15" screen Dell laptop that I use as my main computer and take with me any time I know I am going to be in any one place long enough to justify carrying the weight. The bigger machine has a keyboard that is much easier for my fat fingers and thumbs, it's a lot faster for processing images, and it's got a nice 4k screen that makes it much easier to work with, and much more storage. I used to have a big screen monitor to go with it (and I'd like to again).

When it comes to things that humans have to hold in their hands, work with their fingers or look at through their eyes, smaller is obviously not always better.

There's also the argument that the Sony A series cameras have a form factor that is similar to 35mm cameras in the pre-digital age. I liked those cameras very much ... but they had very simple control systems and needed few buttons and dials and they didn't have to be hooked up to big telephoto lenses with fat AF motors and such. Fitting all the controls associated with a modern digital camera into that form factor in an ergonomically acceptable way is going to be a challenge ... especially using big lenses

I'm very glad that the A9 is on the scene to shake the market up a bit but I think high end mirrorless ILCs are probably going to evolve into something bigger because that is what most users are going to find more acceptable.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by jonneymendoza.

Apr 22, 2017 06:59 |  #104

Its so easy to MF on a wide angle lens i would not miss AF.

I have a Samyang 14mm MF prime E mount and its brilliant.

edit: you can add a battery grip to make the a9 bigger. whats bad about that? i rather have the choice to make my camera smaller or bigger rather then being stuck with a massive camera.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,374 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 22, 2017 07:09 |  #105

Of course with a uwa, it is easy to manually focus, your dof is nearly everything you see in the frame. I am pretty sure discussions are around everyday walk-about lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

36,843 views & 178 likes for this thread
Sony A9 Announced
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.