Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 20 Apr 2017 (Thursday) 11:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?

jay25
174 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jun 15, 2017 23:53 as a reply to  @ post 18378265 |  #1156

Yes you are correct it worked!! I'll shoot tomorrow and see how it turns out. Let's see if that peak focus works with live view off. If everything works fine it will be time to upgrade to a a7ii!

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,882 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 30, 2017 22:04 |  #1157

jay25 wrote in post #18379580 (external link)
Yes you are correct it worked!! I'll shoot tomorrow and see how it turns out. Let's see if that peak focus works with live view off. If everything works fine it will be time to upgrade to a a7ii!

It should. My Fuji is same way. I have assigned one of the Fn buttons to turn on/off the preview. Comes handy when shooting in the studio. I have folks using Sony A7rII in my studio photography class at work and no issues with Sony.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Feb 23, 2018 11:33 |  #1158

Revisitng the Canon doom so far, in the Feb. 2018 CIPA report:

"In 2017 total shipments increased by 3.3% year on year in digital cameras and 0.2% in interchangeable lenses.
Total shipments of digital cameras in 2017 (the cumulative total of shipments from January to December) rose by 3.3% year on year to 24,978,486 units (represented by units of million in the attached table)....

"Shipments of lenses for cameras with interchangeable lenses (interchangeable lenses) in 2017 (the cumulative total of shipments from January to December) totaled 19,220,599 units, a year-on-year increase of 0.2 %.

"Shipments of both digital cameras with built-in lenses and digital cameras with
interchangeable lenses grew

"Shipments of digital cameras with built-in lenses (so called compact digital cameras) grew 5.7% year on year to 13,302,797 units.
"Shipments of digital cameras with interchangeable lenses grew 0.6% year on year to 11,675,689 units.
" As for shipments of digital cameras with interchangeable lenses, those to Japan contracted 5.0% year on year while those to regions outside of Japan rose by 1.3%.

So digital cameras with interchangeable lenses (both mirrorless and dSLR) are stagnant or growing only slightly, while digital cameras with built in lenses are growing modestly at just under 6%. But for 2018 the total market is shrinking -6.4%, with cameras with built in lenses taking the brunt at -9% year over year, while interchangeable lens cameras are projected to fall -3.4% year over year.

This year the dSLR is expected to be only 64% of the interchangeable camera market, with mirrorless having the rest.

The reports show

• In the mirrorless segment, Oly has 26.8%, Canon has 18.5%, and Sony has 17.9%.
  • Canon at 63.3% still trounces its closest competitor, versus Nikon's 31.6% share of the world market dSLR segment.
  • Sony has just passed Nikon to become the #2 company in the United States for full-frame interchangeable lens camera sales.
  • Sony says it had double digit growth of 23% in the area of full-frame interchangeable lens cameras, and claims that camera sales in the US would have declined by -2% without them
  • the sale of digital cameras across all types has been plummeting double digits every year over the past half decade, mainly due to the collapse of the compact camera thanks to the rise of the smartphone..

and the Canon dSLR doom is being offset by Canon's own signficant chunk of the mirrorless market.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,470 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 23, 2018 11:53 |  #1159

Wilt wrote in post #18570477 (external link)
This year the dSLR is expected to be only 64% of the interchangeable camera market, with mirrorless having the rest.

wow.

www.canonrumors.com (external link) reporting this to be announced sunday:

Here is a more detailed list of specifications for the Canon EOS M50 that we expect to be announced on February 26, 2018 in most places on earth.

Canon EOS M50 Specifications:

• 24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS
  • DIGIC 8
  • Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance
  • AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)
  • The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)
  • Pupil detection AF
  • Dual Sensing IS
  • Silent mode
  • DLO in camera
  • RAW development in camera
  • Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p
  • Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible
  • 5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS
  • Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)
  • Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)
  • EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot OLED
  • 3 type 104 million dots vari angle touchscreen LCD
  • Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed
  • Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible
  • HDMI HDR output compatible
  • Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
  • The C – RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in – camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer
  • Battery: LP-E 12
  • Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
  • Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)
  • Color: Black / White
  • Dual Sensing IS is a body- The information of the lens and the information of the gyro sensor of the lens are used to correct camera shake and improvement of the effect of 0.5 stops
  • The new silent mode can shoot without any shutter sound
  • Auto Improvement of lighting optimizer
  • Improvement of high brightness side gradation priority function
  • 4K / full HD time lapse function
  • Microphone jack stereo microphone DM – E1 compatible
  • Distance between moving subject and background Improvement of AF accuracy during tracking of moving subjects using information
  • 2 Axis Electronic Level
  • Supports HDR output from HDMI when playing RAW images

Read more: http://www.canonrumors​.com …ifications/#ixz​z57xGL8bME (external link)

(((warms up pot of oil for popcorn)))

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,766 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 23, 2018 11:57 |  #1160

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18570490 (external link)
wow.

www.canonrumors.com (external link) reporting this to be announced sunday:

Finally a solid mirrorless camera from Canon, albeit an apsc one.

It seems they added "pupil detect af"

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

DesolateMirror
302 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 24, 2018 04:22 |  #1161

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18570490 (external link)

Indeed.

More competition is always good though. I wonder what the price point will be and if they plan a full frame version with similar features.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,882 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by bobbyz. (3 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2018 08:32 |  #1162

All canon can do is come with a apsc mirrorless. And some folks think they aren't doomed. Had someone in class yesterday with Sony and their 85mm f1.4 GM lens. Even full length the camera nails focus with eye detect. Forget weight/size differences. The new tech is kicking butt. Try doing same with any canon camera. I only try with 85L on my 5dmk3 and my dinosaur (AF wise, maybe size also) GFX can do better than that. I know 5dmk3 is old.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
7,766 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 24, 2018 08:34 |  #1163

bobbyz wrote in post #18571049 (external link)
All canon can do it come with a apsc mirrorless. And some folks think they aren't doomed.

M50 looks pretty solid on paper though, and its priced really competitively compared to Fuji and Sony's APS-C offerings.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,469 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 24, 2018 08:40 |  #1164

mystik610 wrote in post #18571052 (external link)
M50 looks pretty solid on paper though, and its priced really competitively compared to Fuji and Sony's APS-C offerings.

mystik610 wrote in post #18571052 (external link)

Where is the commitment for the M50 as far as lenses go? Sony used to get bashed for their lack of lenses...what about lenses from Canon to match the small mirrorless system?

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 4 months ago by DaviSto.

Feb 24, 2018 08:53 |  #1165

I don't think it's a bad business strategy for Canon to seek to first prove they can deliver a first class APSC mirrorless body. That will be enough to reassure most Canon FF owners that a quality full-frame mirrorless will soon follow. It will stop the bleeding and perhaps also deter some Sony FF owners using adapted Canon glass from trading up to a newer body until they see what Canon has to offer.

It should of course also sell well in its own right and help Canon maintain/increase its overall share of the mirrorless market.

It will be interesting to see whether actual performance lives up to on-paper promise. Looking forwards to seeing the first serious independent hands-on reviews.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,241 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2018 09:32 |  #1166

bobbyz wrote in post #18571049 (external link)
All canon can do is come with a apsc mirrorless. And some folks think they aren't doomed. .

DaviSto wrote:
It will be interesting to see whether actual performance lives up to on-paper promise. Looking forwards to seeing the first serious independent hands-on reviews.

So Canon is #2, following Olympus, in the mirrorless segment: Oly has 26.8%, Canon has 18.5%, and Sony has 17.9%.
Is that a picture of doom? I am not being a fanboy, I am reporting Canon's actual place in the market.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,882 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 24, 2018 10:06 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #1167

Maybe it is. Haven't seen any video specs. And I don't know if regular canon lenses fit or you need new line of apsc lenses. LCD screen I assume is touch sensitive.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2018 10:18 |  #1168

Wilt wrote in post #18571083 (external link)
in the mirrorless segment: Olympus has 26.8%, Canon has 18.5%, and Sony has 17.9%.. . . I am reporting Canon's actual place in the market.

I think it's interesting that Canon is actually ahead of Sony in the mirrorless market. . I mean, the one market that everybody says Sony is "crushing", and here they place 3rd, behind Canon and Olympus!

I think that a lot of folks judge a company on how good its cameras are, instead of on how big their actual market share is and their total profits.

Canon has put so little investment into their mirrorless segment, and yet they still have higher gross sales in mirrorless than Sony does. . Seems like a good business model to me. . Their job isn't to make people happy - it is to get people's money. . And they are doing a fantastic job at that.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 24, 2018 11:19 |  #1169

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18571109 (external link)
I think it's interesting that Canon is actually ahead of Sony in the mirrorless market. . I mean, the one market that everybody says Sony is "crushing", and here they place 3rd, behind Canon and Olympus!

I think that a lot of folks judge a company on how good its cameras are, instead of on how big their actual market share is and their total profits.

Canon has put so little investment into their mirrorless segment, and yet they still have higher gross sales in mirrorless than Sony does. . Seems like a good business model to me. . Their job isn't to make people happy - it is to get people's money. . And they are doing a fantastic job at that.

The Canon EOS-M stopped selling in north america for some time, so I dont know where these stats are coming from. Keep in mind that sony is the only mirrorless FF, they sit in that category alone.

Canon is not a competitor in that regard, hidden numbers not mentioned:

Sony FF Mirrorless 99%
Leica 1%
canonikon 0%

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Feb 24, 2018 11:32 |  #1170

Charlie wrote in post #18571154 (external link)
Keep in mind that sony is the only mirrorless FF, they sit in that category alone.

Canon is not a competitor in that regard, hidden numbers not mentioned:

Sony FF Mirrorless 99%
Leica 1%
canonikon 0%

RIght, but if Canon can offer only crappy old mirrorless cameras, and Sony offers wonderful full frame mirrorless cameras, but Canon makes more overall money form mirrorless than Sony does, then isn't Canon the clear winner, purely from a money standpoint?

Actually, Olympus may be the real winner, but then again if they've invested a lot of money and Canon ha barely invested anything, then the nod might still go to Canon.

It really has nothing to do with how good the cameras are, or whether they are full frame or not - from a corporate standpoint, the bottom line is all that matters.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

93,559 views & 718 likes for this thread
Sony A9: Is Canon doomed ?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.