Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 12 May 2017 (Friday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leofoto

sawsedge
752 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 12, 2017 06:51 |  #1

Does anyone have any experience with Leofoto? I'm interested in this model: https://www.amazon.com …ible-Tripod/dp/B01HN8K3YE (external link)

I'd like to know the good, bad and ugly. How does it compare with RRS and Gitzo?

- John

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

May 14, 2017 17:17 |  #2

Had a quick look at some on-line reviews and it looks like a nice piece of kit.

My only problem is that it is an unknown quantity - also my Gitzo GT4542LS (more than up to the longest lenses Canon now make) was £90 ($116) cheaper 3 months ago.

If you are looking for a top quality tripod then I hold hold fire until there is more information available on this one. On the other hand you could search for a while and pick up a nice used Gitzo Carbon Systematic 3 series for $130 that is quite happy with my Canon 800mm F5.6 L IS? Don't laugh I have done it and it came with an accessory G1318 center column too!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sawsedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 14, 2017 22:02 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #3

Thanks John.

It used to be $400, but went up to $600 (USD). I should have just grabbed one when it was lower!

I am mostly interested in something taller than what I have now (Gitzo 3530) for mountainsides, and to aim up while standing.

- John

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 15, 2017 16:21 |  #4

sawsedge wrote in post #18354811 (external link)
Thanks John.

It used to be $400, but went up to $600 (USD). I should have just grabbed one when it was lower!

I am mostly interested in something taller than what I have now (Gitzo 3530) for mountainsides, and to aim up while standing.

Is it the 35302LS that you have? I used to have one until I bought my 4542LS and it was a great tripod.

Just a thought but if you don't need too much more height - what about a center column? If you are not using silly long lenses they can work very well. It adds about 30cm of height and isn't too wobbly on a systematic.

A few months ago I picked up a Gitzo G1318 Systematic Carbon Fiber center column for £35 in mint condition. Assuming your 3530 is a Systematic then this may be a viable option - also there are now equivalents fro other manufacturers that will fit.

Just a thought..........

sawsedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 15, 2017 21:30 |  #5

johnf3f wrote in post #18355480 (external link)
Is it the 35302LS that you have? I used to have one until I bought my 4542LS and it was a great tripod.

Just a thought but if you don't need too much more height - what about a center column? If you are not using silly long lenses they can work very well. It adds about 30cm of height and isn't too wobbly on a systematic.

A few months ago I picked up a Gitzo G1318 Systematic Carbon Fiber center column for £35 in mint condition. Assuming your 3530 is a Systematic then this may be a viable option - also there are now equivalents fro other manufacturers that will fit.

Just a thought..........

Nope, I have the 3530 mountaineer (first gen 6x). I shortened the centerpost to give me just 5" of travel, which is all I need when the ground is level, and lets me get pretty low to the ground. I find it handy for closeups where moving the legs will throw off the composition. It is a solid tripod (only the strongest winds up in the mountains have ever concerned me). When I shoot on the side of a mountain, having the extra leg length will help a ton. I assume I'll need 4 long sections for that situation.

My longest lens is a 100-400 + 1.4x. The worst of the vibration seems to come from the tripod collar and the lens mount, not the tripod or head.

- John

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2017 16:25 as a reply to  @ sawsedge's post |  #6

I see, I got confused as my 3530 was a Sytematic.

My (newer) Gitzo 4542LS is a bit taller than my GT3530LS was and copes with my sloping ground needs - but they are no longer on offer and the newer (replacement) 4543LS is silly money!

As I said I have no experience of the Leofoto - but it does appear to have all the necessary design features. I do not think the carbon tubing will be up to Gitzo standards - but at 40mm thick it doesn't need to be! For what it's worth I have found that the 3rd party carbon tripods seem to perform like a Gitzo of one series or so smaller - so I would expect this to perform, roughly like a Gitzo 3/4 series. That is good enough for most lenses currently available!

I wish I could offer some more useful advice - but not having used one? However it looks like a nice piece of kit and ticks all the right boxes - but it is not cheap (more than I have ever paid for a Gitzo) so only you can decide...............

If you do buy it I would be very interested in you thoughts.

Happy deciding!

sawsedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 16, 2017 18:16 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #7

Thanks John.

- John

EricJrSax
186 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 27, 2018 16:50 as a reply to  @ sawsedge's post |  #8

Hey sawsedge,... did you finally perch yourself onto one of those LN-404C legs? If so, would really like to hear your experiences. I'm trying to find out a little more about it before pounding on that 'place your order' button. Watched all the video reviews I could find, and read thru the few written reviews I stumbled across. But they were all first impressions or unboxings,... I think one user had only about a month on it. Still, they were all positive.

But you started this thread back in May '17,... enough time for the honeymoon to end. Thanks!

sawsedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 27, 2018 17:13 as a reply to  @ EricJrSax's post |  #9

No, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I also look for longer-term reviews and haven't spotted any.

In a nutshell, I am obviously not wanting and so I'm not in a hurry. My many years old Gitzo 3530 is still serving me well. As I mentioned, I was just looking for something taller to handle a slope at eye level, or perhaps look up over my head while standing.

- John

peter_n
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 16, 2018 08:45 |  #10

John if you look at Leofoto's earlier models they have progressed quite a bit from them. Right now they seem to be Gitzo/RRS clone makers, and they are doing a very good job of it. The bigger tripods have elements of Gitzo, the smaller ones are more RRS like. The carbon fiber they are using is very high grade from the Japanese firm Toray Industrial who are major producers of CF from aerospace to racing bike framesets.

Dave Berryrieser comments that the one Leofoto tripod he has tested performs better than any other tripod he's tested in the stiffness*height/weigh​t metric that isn't made by Gitzo or RRS (go to The Center Column (external link) and sort the last column by descending).

Given the price of this tripod and it's apparent quality it probably won't be long before RRS will be issuing an injunction. They didn't take too long to get sales of some Sirui tripods banned in the US and the Leofoto LS-284C tripod that Dave tested is clearly a RRS TFC-14 copy. The Leofoto costs $200 and the RRS costs $800. Gitzo doesn't seem to care as Benro has been making far less costly Gitzo copies and selling them for years in US retailers. So maybe the larger Leofoto tripods will continue to be sold here.

~Peter

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 16, 2018 09:40 |  #11

If you're looking at this price point I cannot recommend this tripod enough. https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ach3_9x_carbon_​fiber.html (external link). It's absolutely fantastic, and for the price of that Leofoto you could almost get this Benro and a B3 head to go along with it.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

peter_n
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by peter_n.

Mar 25, 2018 21:39 |  #12

Amazon was listing the Leofoto LS-284C as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". Now they seem to have taken down the listing, but the tripod with ballhead is still for sale there.

~Peter

EricJrSax
186 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 27, 2018 20:56 |  #13

peter_n wrote in post #18594086 (external link)
Amazon was listing the Leofoto LS-284C as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". Now they seem to have taken down the listing, but the tripod with ballhead is still for sale there.

I don't think they're carrying anything Leofoto at the moment. I think OEC Camera (Amazon) is the only source I'm aware of.

peter_n
Goldmember
2,388 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 30, 2018 08:23 |  #14

The Leofoto LS models are replacing the LN models. They don't seem to have a LS-4xxx to replace the LN-404C yet. It seems the biggest LS tripod they have released so far is the LS-324C which is not tall enough for you at 51.4in max height. It has some pretty amazing specs though.

~Peter

sawsedge
THREAD ­ STARTER
752 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 30, 2018 19:05 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #15

I just got an email from RRS about mark II tripods. The timing is interesting.

- John

sponsored links

1,982 views & 6 likes for this thread
Leofoto
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.