Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2019 10:43 |  #24211

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787862 (external link)
Headed out last night for a bit of night photography and found this tree that I hadn't been to before. Pretty cool spot.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23vj​4pZ  (external link) Firkin Point, Loch Lomond (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Killer shot

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2019 10:55 |  #24212

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787862 (external link)
Headed out last night for a bit of night photography and found this tree that I hadn't been to before. Pretty cool spot.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23vj​4pZ  (external link) Firkin Point, Loch Lomond (external link) by xpfloyd (external link), on Flickr

Beautiful shot Eddie! How did you light it?

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by xpfloyd. (3 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2019 10:58 |  #24213

Charlie wrote in post #18787866 (external link)
Killer shot

Thanks Charlie!

digital_AM wrote in post #18787871 (external link)
Beautiful shot Eddie! How did you light it?

Thanks Alfredo. I used a F&V Z96 video light. I had it on a table top tripod off to the side.

https://cvp.com …ET9U0oky0WaIaAg​GzEALw_wcB (external link)

I picked one up a while back used for £50 to use for this sort of thing

EDIT - I used the same light in this shot to side light the tree - https://flic.kr/p/Sg85​t6 (external link)

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,732 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 09, 2019 11:02 |  #24214

digital_AM wrote in post #18787834 (external link)
Also regarding my last two images from the river, I would appreciate some feedback. It seems the first one with the wider view is more popular than the second close-up shot. I would love to hear your thoughts on each and what works and what doesn't. Thank you.

It's not easy for me to tell what's going on in the tighter shot just because I wasn't there and need more visual context - I love the colors, water texture and the sharpness/contrast of the of the tree/branch, attached planks and rope, but it's hard for me to gauge the size and purpose of these objects. Because of this, this works better for me as an abstract than as a story.

I prefer the wider shot, too. I think that the fogginess adds depth and moodiness as it veils more and more detail as the scene wanders further away from the camera; I think that this is the most compelling element of the image (the tighter shot almost completely omits this aspect), so much so that the background is more interesting to me than the foreground. Between the architecture of the house and the mood with the surroundings and conditions, there's enough visual interest that I would have made it the main subject; I love the framing between the ground and the tree on the right and I would have doubled-down on this, if possible, framing it with another trunk on the left side.

My 2 cents as a hack.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,966 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 09, 2019 11:02 |  #24215

digital_AM wrote in post #18787570 (external link)
We had some thick fog this morning so I got up early before work to shoot at the Guadalupe River.

Loxia 21

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-KGp2Jw/i-5vpHsTB/A  (external link)

love the mood. makes me want to be there.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 09, 2019 11:03 |  #24216

WhyFi wrote in post #18787877 (external link)
It's not easy for me to tell what's going on in the tighter shot just because I wasn't there and need more visual context - I love the colors, water texture and the sharpness/contrast of the of the tree/branch, attached planks and rope, but it's hard for me to gauge the size and purpose of these objects. Because of this, this works better for me as an abstract than as a story.

I prefer the wider shot, too. I think that the fogginess adds depth and moodiness as it veils more and more detail as the scene wanders further away from the camera; I think that this is the most compelling element of the image (the tighter shot almost completely omits this aspect), so much so that the background is more interesting to me than the foreground. Between the architecture of the house and the mood with the surroundings and conditions, there's enough visual interest that I would have made it the main subject; I love the framing between the ground and the tree on the right and I would have doubled-down on this, if possible, framing it with another trunk on the left side.

My 2 cents as a hack.

Alfredo, this was pretty much my thoughts too. Whilst the tight shot is nice its hard to get a sense of scale of what you are looking at compared to the wide shot

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,966 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 09, 2019 11:06 |  #24217

Charlie wrote in post #18787465 (external link)
it was advertised as a tougher card, stronger, more resistant to extreme weather. Also, no lock switch! I really hate that switch.

suppose to have a better average write/read speed as well. still havnt use the 32 I have but physically it seems like a hard pcd card and it feels nice :D I'm saving it for the a7s3 that I might be getting depending on the specs. 32g is just too small of a storage for a7r3 files so an s3 should be fine with a smaller mp :P

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2019 11:24 |  #24218

WhyFi wrote in post #18787877 (external link)

My 2 cents as a hack.

Thank you for the feedback which is super helpful for me. Each photo has its own story to tell. The first is as you describe. It's about mood, the fog, the house, the river, and what anchors the image to me are the two trees in the foreground.

On the second one I went for a more minimal feel to it. It was the arched shape of the tree that caught my eye but I can see you point about losing context with it being a close-up shot.

DTBaan wrote in post #18787878 (external link)
love the mood. makes me want to be there.

Thank you sir. It was dark when I started my hike but the mood with the fog was amazing.

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787880 (external link)
Alfredo, this was pretty much my thoughts too. Whilst the tight shot is nice its hard to get a sense of scale of what you are looking at compared to the wide shot

Thanks Eddie. Much appreciated.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2019 11:25 |  #24219

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787874 (external link)
Thanks Charlie!

Thanks Alfredo. I used a F&V Z96 video light. I had it on a table top tripod off to the side.

EDIT - I used the same light in this shot to side light the tree - https://flic.kr/p/Sg85​t6 (external link)

Excellent, thanks Eddie. I'll look into picking one up. I also want to get the Lume cube. Would be good to fit on my Mavic 2 and open up some creative options.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by Charlie.

Jan 09, 2019 11:26 |  #24220

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787874 (external link)
Thanks Charlie!

is this able to change temperature? flashlight never looks this good ;-)a

EDIT, will probably look up Jason Vong videos for a video light, he had some recommendations during christmas sales.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by xpfloyd.

Jan 09, 2019 11:31 |  #24221

digital_AM wrote in post #18787897 (external link)
Excellent, thanks Eddie. I'll look into picking one up. I also want to get the Lume cube. Would be good to fit on my Mavic 2 and open up some creative options.

I’m away now to google Lume Cube. Not heard of it before but now I’m intrigued

Charlie wrote in post #18787898 (external link)
is this able to change temperature? flashlight never looks this good ;-)a

Charlie it’s daylight balanced at 5600k. it then has a colour filter and a diffuser you can add on (magnetic fixings). From memory one takes it to 3200 and both to 4200k or thereabouts. I’ve found that if I put both on and shoot at 4000k (my goto Astro white balance) it looks pretty natural to my eye

EDIT - It was this article that made me buy it - http://intothenightpho​to.blogspot.com …ight-panel-for-night.html (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2019 11:34 |  #24222

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787902 (external link)
I’m away now to google Lume Cube. Not heard of it before but now I’m intrigued

Charlie it’s daylight balanced at 5600k. it then has a colour filter and a diffuser you can add on (magnetic fixings). From memory one takes it to 3200 and both to 4200k or thereabouts. I’ve found that if I put both on and shoot at 4000k (my goto Astro white balance) it looks pretty natural to my eye

Lume cubes are amazingly compact lights. So versatile too.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,585 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by xpfloyd.

Jan 09, 2019 11:45 |  #24223

digital_AM wrote in post #18787905 (external link)
Lume cubes are amazingly compact lights. So versatile too.

had a look there, they look pretty cool. Do you know you can assign the Mavic 2 under body lights to a button on the underside of the controller? I haven’t tried them in the dark yet but they seem bright. They point straight down though as opposed to at an angle

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 09, 2019 11:57 |  #24224

xpfloyd wrote in post #18787919 (external link)
had a look there, they look pretty cool. Do you know you can assign the Mavic 2 under body lights to a button on the underside of the controller? I haven’t tried them in the dark yet but they seem bright. They point straight down though as opposed to at an angle

Yes I have mine assigned to the back button. The light is pretty bright. I need to try it next time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,749 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 09, 2019 12:03 |  #24225

digital_AM wrote in post #18787834 (external link)
^ Wonderful detail MM.

Regarding Flickr, it's up for me on mobile. Not sure yet if I'll pay for the Pro subscription.

Also regarding my last two images from the river, I would appreciate some feedback. It seems the first one with the wider view is more popular than the second close-up shot. I would love to hear your thoughts on each and what works and what doesn't. Thank you.

I preferred the second because I felt it isolated the subject better and told a better story. The title you gave it 'cinched the deal' for me.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links

1,812,314 views & 55,432 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.