Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,473 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 22, 2019 16:50 |  #27256

xpfloyd wrote in post #18833297 (external link)
So here’s my first attempt at a video. It ended up being 5 mins long as it was 4 days worth of footage from Prague. For those that can be bothered watching it please give honest feedback. Disclaimer - this is my first time using LumaFusion, it’s only my second ever video I’ve created and I also haven’t colour graded as I don’t know how to yet :)

Great! Favorite shot was capturing the building sketch...nice camera work there. Panning shots always seemed to have a little catch/snag in the motion, but maybe that’s just my crap Internet connection? All in all an enjoyable viewing experience. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,473 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 22, 2019 16:53 |  #27257

Charlie wrote in post #18833271 (external link)
it's nice, and not really that far off from photos. You can create presets like you do for photos, it's all good fun.

What accessories/gear do you recommend with gp7? You using a gimbal? Sorry, I’m sure you already posted your setup, but I’ll never find it.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,124 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by xpfloyd. (4 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2019 16:57 |  #27258

David Arbogast wrote in post #18833309 (external link)
Great! Favorite shot was capturing the building sketch...nice camera work there. Panning shots always seemed to have a little catch/snag in the motion, but maybe that’s just my crap Internet connection? All in all an enjoyable viewing experience. :)

Thanks David, I should have mentioned I shot all the clips in 4k/24fps so not sure if its the frame rate thats causing the slight jerk at times. Although when I check the original footage it doesnt have it so not sure why the final video does? Probably not got a setting correct somewhere!

Edit - The weird thing is that Lumafusion identifies the clips as 4k/25 even though I recorded them in 4k/24 on the osmo. I am then editing it as a 24fps project and uploading as 24fps. I wonder if the Osmos 24 is actually 25 and me forcing it to 24 is causing this lag/stutter. I am re-encoding just now as 4k/25 to see if it cures it. I might just switch to 30fps going forward.

Edit 2 - That sorted it! I am just re-uploading to youtube now. Seems much smoother

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,124 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by xpfloyd. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2019 17:37 |  #27259

David Arbogast wrote in post #18833310 (external link)
What accessories/gear do you recommend with gp7? You using a gimbal? Sorry, I’m sure you already posted your setup, but I’ll never find it.

David, I won’t answer for Charlie as he knows Waaaaaay more than me on this subject but I just wanted to say that GoPro market the hero 7 as the “gimbal killer” as it has built in stabilisation called hypersmooth. From reviews I’ve seen it’s pretty much as good as a gimbal apart from in low light

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,503 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2019 18:05 |  #27260

So here’s my first attempt at a video. It ended up being 5 mins long as it was 4 days worth of footage from Prague. For those that can be bothered watching it please give honest feedback. Disclaimer - this is my first time using LumaFusion, it’s only my second ever video I’ve created and I also haven’t colour graded as I don’t know how to yet :)

Nice 1st vid. The music was...err...interestin​g.  :p I also like your taste in beer! :-) Now we just need to hear you narrate to hear your burr...or is it a brogue? ;-)a

My only nit would be to use a bit less movement of the camera. It's OK to have the camera steady and let the action move around it sometimes too. When you do move the camera, try to keep it slow enough that it's almost unnoticeable.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching and am looking forward to seeing more. Looks like you guys had a great time too.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,503 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2019 18:06 |  #27261

Speaking of video, I've been trying out TechSmith's "Snagit" to capture my screen for those occasional short clips I do. I have an old, free version of Camtasia (Studio 3) but it doesn't work properly and it only works to capture video. It's a painful process because the video needs to be run through Handbrake to work. With Snagit, the video comes out already rendered as an mp4 file and so far, I like the results.

If I buy the program, it's $49.95

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,124 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2019 18:12 |  #27262

navydoc wrote in post #18833346 (external link)
Nice 1st vid. The music was...err...interestin​g.  :p I also like your taste in beer! :-) Now we just need to hear you narrate to hear your burr...or is it a brogue? ;-)a

My only nit would be to use a bit less movement of the camera. It's OK to have the camera steady and let the action move around it sometimes too. When you do move the camera, try to keep it slow enough that it's almost unnoticeable.

Overall, I really enjoyed watching and am looking forward to seeing more. Looks like you guys had a great time too.

Thanks Gene, I was conscious of the fact I was doing a lot of panning at the time but was basically going in blind and not really sure what I was needing to shoot at all. Hopefully it gets better with practice

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,124 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2019 18:56 |  #27263

Ive updated my original post with the re-encoded video. Should play smoother now

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,143 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 22, 2019 19:20 |  #27264

if I had to nitpick, scene at 1:29, not a continuous motion, I think there was another scene like that with an abrupt movement. It can use some raw audio of the area at times, like interaction at the bar? It was hard to tell context in some of the scenes, like at the bars could have started with a short clip entering name of said bar. Since the clip was so fast, maybe names of places or split up into video into shorter segments? One clip had a bunch of ireland flags, it went so fast, I couldnt figure it out, especially the following scene was a bunch of statues? The scene with your friend jumping in the frame was quality and funny, moments like that can really make an overall video more interesting. I think the video can use an outro, maybe plane going the other direction as it started or packed bags walking away, something to get that message across. Other than those nitpicks, you're off to a great start!

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Charlie
16,143 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 22, 2019 19:22 |  #27265

navydoc wrote in post #18833347 (external link)
Speaking of video, I've been trying out TechSmith's "Snagit" to capture my screen for those occasional short clips I do. I have an old, free version of Camtasia (Studio 3) but it doesn't work properly and it only works to capture video. It's a painful process because the video needs to be run through Handbrake to work. With Snagit, the video comes out already rendered as an mp4 file and so far, I like the results.

If I buy the program, it's $49.95

OBS studio, it's free and designed for this. I do use snagit for work, but not video, OBS is better I think.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Charlie
16,143 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by Charlie.

Mar 22, 2019 19:30 |  #27266

David Arbogast wrote in post #18833310 (external link)

You'll need a hand grip or some way of holding the GP. I'm using an all in one selfie, tripod, hand grip https://www.amazon.com …tle_o04_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

that's all I have right now, and that'll probably be it for 95% of what I do. I'm also buying this clip: https://www.ebay.com …020887:g:2zkAAO​Swl1RcUJya (external link)

if I ever clip this onto my backpack or child, it'll be there. I wont be skydiving or jumping off cliffs into water, so wont need other mounts ;-)a

no gimbal right now, the gopro 7 is just super stable.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,124 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 22, 2019 19:32 |  #27267

Charlie wrote in post #18833375 (external link)
if I had to nitpick, scene at 1:29, not a continuous motion, I think there was another scene like that with an abrupt movement. It can use some raw audio of the area at times, like interaction at the bar? It was hard to tell context in some of the scenes, like at the bars could have started with a short clip entering name of said bar. Since the clip was so fast, maybe names of places or split up into video into shorter segments? One clip had a bunch of ireland flags, it went so fast, I couldnt figure it out, especially the following scene was a bunch of statues? The scene with your friend jumping in the frame was quality and funny, moments like that can really make an overall video more interesting. I think the video can use an outro, maybe plane going the other direction as it started or packed bags walking away, something to get that message across. Other than those nitpicks, you're off to a great start!

Thanks Charlie. I really need to purchase the controller wheel to smooth the pans out. Trying to vertical pan controlling it with the very edge of the tiny screen is a pita. For horizontal pans I was simply rotating the device. With the controller both pans would be on a wheel and smooth. Fair point about the randomness at times, I honestly didn’t know what I should be shooting at times and it shows a bit. I actually recorded the plane take off and landing on the return journey to mimic the way I started the video but it was at night so the footage wasn’t as usable. The gimbal also levelled itself at an angle for some reason during landing so the horizon was off.

It’s really addictive though, I’m already thinking of ideas for the next videos

Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,503 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 22, 2019 19:34 |  #27268

Charlie wrote in post #18833377 (external link)
OBS studio, it's free and designed for this. I do use snagit for work, but not video, OBS is better I think.

Thanks Charlie, I'll check it out.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,035 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 8 months ago by vinmunoz.

Mar 22, 2019 20:25 |  #27269

Who needs strobe in RE photography? :)

it works because it's overcast.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,793 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 22, 2019 21:32 |  #27270

Lady Justice on top of this beautiful fountain in front of the Bexar County Courthouse in downtown San Antonio

FE 16-35 GM

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cSgTbnw/0/d41c6497/O/i-cSgTbnw.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.alfredomor​aphoto.com …oads/n-mNp4Hr/i-cSgTbnw/A  (external link)

sponsored links

4,456,305 views & 77,759 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.