Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
5,455 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 22, 2020 13:49 |  #36661

Klystron wrote in post #18996689 (external link)
I knew you like those, here is another one, not bad for a 50 year old car.

QUOTED IMAGE

I do like the colour scheme on that :)

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

sponsored links
Dlee13
Goldmember
4,498 posts
Gallery: 648 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 13:54 |  #36662

xpfloyd wrote in post #18996433 (external link)
I’m going round in circles too:) (what’s new!). I’ll check out that Samyang

It's not good right :p Do you have decent rental options where you live? Hopefully you like the Samyang, there seems to be copy variations if FM is anything to go by.

Monkey moss wrote in post #18996480 (external link)
Thanks for the comments both, I should have some time later this evening, and I'll share some more thoughts on why I like the 85 Samyang so much!!

I look forward to hearing them!

lapino wrote in post #18996610 (external link)
Simple question...vacation/tr​avel ahead (Japan). own: A7 iii , tamron 28-75, 55/1.8
got a budget of 1.000 euro to buy something new if needed
which do I take or buy extra? would want to limit to 2 lenses

I'd personally look at taking something wider like the Tamron 17-28mm.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,062 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 22, 2020 14:05 |  #36663

From some testing i did, diving gull a7r4 200/600 at 205mm other a9mkII 200/600 at 400mm .
Rob.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,140 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 22, 2020 14:05 |  #36664

TRhoads wrote in post #18996222 (external link)
Getting it right with 11 people, 3 being kids is not easy...a blend of 4 images...this is where 20FPS comes into play...just fire a ton of shots off and pick the ones you need out! With the 135GM...that still isn't in the DB...

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=189​96222&i=i119907054
forum: Sony Cameras

Update on that...I love that lens...when the A73 arrives, I am going to see if the 135L plays nice on it or not...if it does, great...if not...the 135GM will be next...

very nice group shot :)

I got the 85gm and I think it fits my needs, but still wonder about the 135gm since they were about the same price. what are your thoughts between the 85 and 135?

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,938 posts
Gallery: 532 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2020 14:18 |  #36665

DTBaan wrote in post #18996702 (external link)

I got the 85gm and I think it fits my needs, but still wonder about the 135gm since they were about the same price. what are your thoughts between the 85 and 135?

Thanks. It was a good spot for it at the end of the day...

Having used both the 85 and 135 side by side now for an engagement shoot, a wedding and a family session...they both have their uses. For close range portraits, the working distance of the 85 is better...the 135 AF is insanely fast, and delivers a look that is a little different than the 85. I have not shot the same comp back to back to compare the look, but it is very close to the same when filling the same amount of the frame. The reach of the 135 and that fast aperture was nice for the wedding, really nice. But once the ceremony was over, it was 85/35 the rest of the night...they are both very competant lenses, very similar rendering and bokeh, if I can figure out a way to have them both in the bag then I will...

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 14:26 |  #36666

lapino wrote in post #18996568 (external link)
what lens is that on the fuji?

Hi, I think it's the 35mm 1.4. Two of my good mates have the Fuji XT-3 and just prime lenses, cracking system.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,285 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 22, 2020 14:31 |  #36667

Dlee13 wrote in post #18996698 (external link)
It's not good right :p Do you have decent rental options where you live? Hopefully you like the Samyang, there seems to be copy variations if FM is anything to go by.

I look forward to hearing them!

I'd personally look at taking something wider like the Tamron 17-28mm.

tbh I should just stick to the original plan and get the FE85. Is there anything you dont like about it?

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 14:42 |  #36668

Ok, as mentioned earlier, my thoughts on the Samyang 85 1.4. Sorry if it rambles on a bit, you'll have to skim read!!

Size: It is well chunky! If anyone wants a comparison pic next to the 55 1.8 or 28-75 then shout.

Weight: Weirdly light given its size, and reasonably balanced on the a7iii.

Build: Feels nice to me, fairly solid. Much better than the old Canon 85 1.8. It's certainly not Canon L, but I didnt expect it to be. My usage of an 85mm prime is only occasional so the build quality is definitely good enough for me.

Looks: Chunky (again), without the hood it looks good. For me its looks a bit much with the hood on, stuck on a small camera like the A7iii. I like the red ring, a nice tribute to my Canon days!!

Image quality: Love it. I do like a bit of pixel peeking, yet I find it to be almost faultless. Bright days, contrasting edges at 1.4, have yet to find any real CA... I really disliked the CA on the Canon. Sharpness is amazing at 1.4 - in real world portrait pics so haven't looked into extreme corners. The bokeh looks nice to me, I read quite a few reviews before buying, Jason Vong's 85mm youtube comparison against the sony 1.8 made it clear for me that I wanted the samyang. I saw another thread and image example where the 1.4 GM looked slightly better but even then too close to make a significant difference. Justin Abbott also did a good comparison.

Autofocus: seems to work very well for my needs. No real difference over my tamron 28-75 or 55 that I can tell. I'm sure there is but I haven't tested them side by side and I dont intend to. For portraits or pics of my kids (4 and 6) moving about it seems to keep up fairly well. Eye af works really well, again for me.

So with all these things combined, I chose the Samyang above all the others including the Sony 1.8, the GM and the Canon alternatives. Primary reason being it keeps up with the more expensive lenses, but it's a lot lighter. Then factor in the price then it was simple decision for me (after lots of research!!!).

One thing I question is how well this thing would survive a knock. Whilst it feels really nice, it doesnt give me the impression of being tough. If I were a pro using an 85 a lot, I might lean towards the GM.

The Canon 85L's (especially the recentish 85mm 1.4) have always been dream land for me, so to get very similar IQ (if not better as very little CA), at about 570 grams, priced at about £500 new, with a red ring (!!!) makes this worth every penny. :-D

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 14:43 |  #36669

xpfloyd wrote in post #18996719 (external link)
tbh I should just stick to the original plan and get the FE85. Is there anything you dont like about it?

Uh oh, apologies for the above then! -?

Eddie
xpfloyd lookalike
13,285 posts
Gallery: 620 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 22, 2020 14:57 |  #36670

Monkey moss wrote in post #18996723 (external link)
Uh oh, apologies for the above then! -?

What you wrote above has now got me thinking I want the Samyang :D I’ll need to do a bit of research

α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,498 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 14:59 |  #36671

xpfloyd wrote in post #18996719 (external link)

No I can’t really fault the Sony about anything. I think I’m just more used to the way a f/1.4 renders full body images wide open compared to an f/1.8. Aside from that, the Sony is amazing.

Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,498 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 15:06 |  #36672

Monkey moss wrote in post #18996721 (external link)
Ok, as mentioned earlier, my thoughts on the Samyang 85 1.4. Sorry if it rambles on a bit, you'll have to skim read!!

Size: It is well chunky! If anyone wants a comparison pic next to the 55 1.8 or 28-75 then shout.

Weight: Weirdly light given its size, and reasonably balanced on the a7iii.

Build: Feels nice to me, fairly solid. Much better than the old Canon 85 1.8. It's certainly not Canon L, but I didnt expect it to be. My usage of an 85mm prime is only occasional so the build quality is definitely good enough for me.

Looks: Chunky (again), without the hood it looks good. For me its looks a bit much with the hood on, stuck on a small camera like the A7iii. I like the red ring, a nice tribute to my Canon days!!

Image quality: Love it. I do like a bit of pixel peeking, yet I find it to be almost faultless. Bright days, contrasting edges at 1.4, have yet to find any real CA... I really disliked the CA on the Canon. Sharpness is amazing at 1.4 - in real world portrait pics so haven't looked into extreme corners. The bokeh looks nice to me, I read quite a few reviews before buying, Jason Vong's 85mm youtube comparison against the sony 1.8 made it clear for me that I wanted the samyang. I saw another thread and image example where the 1.4 GM looked slightly better but even then too close to make a significant difference. Justin Abbott also did a good comparison.

Autofocus: seems to work very well for my needs. No real difference over my tamron 28-75 or 55 that I can tell. I'm sure there is but I haven't tested them side by side and I dont intend to. For portraits or pics of my kids (4 and 6) moving about it seems to keep up fairly well. Eye af works really well, again for me.

So with all these things combined, I chose the Samyang above all the others including the Sony 1.8, the GM and the Canon alternatives. Primary reason being it keeps up with the more expensive lenses, but it's a lot lighter. Then factor in the price then it was simple decision for me (after lots of research!!!).

One thing I question is how well this thing would survive a knock. Whilst it feels really nice, it doesnt give me the impression of being tough. If I were a pro using an 85 a lot, I might lean towards the GM.

The Canon 85L's (especially the recentish 85mm 1.4) have always been dream land for me, so to get very similar IQ (if not better as very little CA), at about 570 grams, priced at about £500 new, with a red ring (!!!) makes this worth every penny. :-D

Great mini review! I just watched a video from a wedding photographer in the UK who says he bumps it around a lot and it still works fine with not even any scratches.

Ok here’s the review I mentioned

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,938 posts
Gallery: 532 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 22, 2020 16:02 |  #36673

DTBaan wrote in post #18996702 (external link)

I decided to go on a hunt...I felt like I had shot the same scene with both lenses...and I had...comps were a little different, so I just lined them up as best I could...it cropped the top off one and the bottom from the other...I applied the exact same WB to both. Outside of that not much done to these yet...just for display purpose only... Exposures were a little different, as were ISO values...color from the a7III seems to be a bit more accurate. I liked the angle on that one better too. But as you can see...minimal difference shooting both wide open when you set the frame very similar.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 16:19 |  #36674

Dlee13 wrote in post #18996733 (external link)
Great mini review! I just watched a video from a wedding photographer in the UK who says he bumps it around a lot and it still works fine with not even any scratches.

Ok here’s the review I mentioned

Even better! To be fair I baby my gear most of the time, but nice to know it should be able to take a bump.

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,498 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 22, 2020 18:46 |  #36675

Monkey moss wrote in post #18996763 (external link)
Even better! To be fair I baby my gear most of the time, but nice to know it should be able to take a bump.

Don’t worry I’m the same, I baby my gear too. I know there will be one day I go to sell it so keeping your gear like new always helps then.

sponsored links

5,483,682 views & 87,606 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.