Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,670 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2017 08:10 |  #4066

Im not sure what I'm doing wrong but.....My shots seem significantly softer when I post to POTN. This seems to be a new phenomena since getting a new computer (upgraded monitor to " Mac retina" whatever). Pics are sharp on Flickr then noticeably softer here. I've tried everything. I never used to resize images for the web but have now tried resizing to 1600 and 1024 on the long edge from LR....still soft. I've tried uploading directly to POTN...still soft. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a POTN thing vs new monitor thing. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

Here's an example. Razor on my monitor. Very sharp on Flickr. Soft here. -?

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/36119221773_f4e1a62c53_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X2Js​fZ  (external link) Chicago (external link) by Cory Shuler (external link), on Flickr

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

sponsored links
mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2017 08:35 |  #4067

idsurfer wrote in post #18441314 (external link)
Im not sure what I'm doing wrong but.....My shots seem significantly softer when I post to POTN. This seems to be a new phenomena since getting a new computer (upgraded monitor to " Mac retina" whatever). Pics are sharp on Flickr then noticeably softer here. I've tried everything. I never used to resize images for the web but have now tried resizing to 1600 and 1024 on the long edge from LR....still soft. I've tried uploading directly to POTN...still soft. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a POTN thing vs new monitor thing. For the life of me I can't figure it out.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X2Js​fZ  (external link) Chicago (external link) by Cory Shuler (external link), on Flickr

Yeah forum compression. Only noticeably on high resolution displays.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2017 08:38 |  #4068

85 GM + a7rII. xplor 600 inside 48 inch octa

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36799246011_395b3d5787_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Y4PK​LP  (external link) _DSC9129 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4370/36938832585_9deb10cc47_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Yhaa​ZT  (external link) _DSC91292 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,670 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2017 08:51 |  #4069

mystik610 wrote in post #18441329 (external link)
Yeah forum compression. Only noticeably on high resolution displays.

Ah Ha! Very interesting. I think you are exactly correct. I posted the above image from home. I'm now at work with crappy monitors and the shot looks exactly the same on both flickr and POTN. I take it this is something all folks with high res displays have to just live with? If that's the case I'll learn to deal with it. It sucks though...shots look amazing at home and muddy on the forum. It has kept me from posting some lately. I guess I'll try to accept it and move on.
Thanks for the input!

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,284 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc.

Aug 31, 2017 08:57 |  #4070

When I stepped outside this morning to water the plants, I looked to the left and spotted this mantis next to the door. I grabbed my camera and threw on the Laowa 15 and a flash and took the first shot. The flash startled him and he tried to hide behind the porch light.

The tint is caused by the yellow bug light.

(It was already 91° at 6 am when I took these)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 31, 2017 09:04 |  #4071

mystik610 wrote in post #18441304 (external link)
Speaking of action cams, Sony just announced the RX0. 1 inch sensor with 24 f4 equiv fixed lens

Wow, very impressive specs.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,218 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 31, 2017 09:11 |  #4072

idsurfer wrote in post #18441339 (external link)
Ah Ha! Very interesting. I think you are exactly correct. I posted the above image from home. I'm now at work with crappy monitors and the shot looks exactly the same on both flickr and POTN. I take it this is something all folks with high res displays have to just live with? If that's the case I'll learn to deal with it. It sucks though...shots look amazing at home and muddy on the forum. It has kept me from posting some lately. I guess I'll try to accept it and move on.
Thanks for the input!

Hah yeah. you can upload a separate version at lower resolutions specifically to fit the forum without compression, but I'm too lazy :-)

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,765 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2017 10:50 |  #4073

navydoc wrote in post #18441301 (external link)
I really like the contrast between the tree branch and the black waters.

Thanks Gene. The image here appears a bit darker than on my screen. Not sure if it's Flickr.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,033 posts
Gallery: 554 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 31, 2017 10:57 |  #4074

idsurfer wrote in post #18441314 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

I use 2048 on long edge and it helps issue. I also noticed once I got a retina display

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Batis 85

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2017 11:19 |  #4075

digital_AM wrote in post #18441294 (external link)
Nice sunstar through the tree Travis. I'm going to get that CV12mm too. It was great meeting you and David in person. Thanks again to both of you for making some time for me.

---------------

Here is my first image from my Atlanta/northern Georgia trip. I was there for business but managed to shoot every day for almost 2 weeks.

A nice rapid at Vickery Creek in Roswell

Loxia 85 to isolate the scene

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR
20170821-exploring-Atlanta-41-copy-proc-web-FM (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

Did you delete this Alfredo? I didn't get a chance to see it. Really looking forward to the captures from your trip. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 31, 2017 11:22 |  #4076

mystik610 wrote in post #18441304 (external link)
Speaking of action cams, Sony just announced the RX0. 1 inch sensor with 24 f4 equiv fixed lens

Wow! Is that super cool or what?! I hadn't seen this...thanks for posting Carlo.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 31, 2017 11:34 |  #4077

digital_AM wrote in post #18441406 (external link)
Thanks Gene. The image here appears a bit darker than on my screen. Not sure if it's Flickr.

I hope you didn't remove your photo on my account Alfredo. I used the words '"black waters" in an artistic sense, not that the blacks were crushed. I really liked how the water looked, especially when contrasted with the greens in the tree branches.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,284 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 31, 2017 11:37 |  #4078

The mantis hung around for awhile so I grabbed my FE 90G macro lens this time and moved the flash off camera. I tried to hold the flash in my left hand while manually focusing using the LCD screen. He was too high for me to see through the view finder.

"A face only a mother could love" or "He has his daddy's eyes". :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,765 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 31, 2017 11:37 |  #4079

David Arbogast wrote in post #18441429 (external link)
Did you delete this Alfredo? I didn't get a chance to see it. Really looking forward to the captures from your trip. :)

This is strange. The only thing I did was change the image to private on flickr. I will change it back.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast. (7 edits in all)

Aug 31, 2017 12:12 |  #4080

FE 100-400mm GM order placed.

This is somewhat premature since I will need to sell my Batis 85mm and 135mm to offset the high cost. But I've decided to order before selling the Batis' lenses so I can make a better decision.

Will I be OK having a big/heavy telephoto? At worst I can decide, after a week or so, that the FE 100-400mm GM just isn't for me and I return it back. I'll still have my Batis lenses. Nothing lost except a few shipping dollars. That said, I don't order gear unless I have every intention of keeping it.

Giving Adorama a chance with this order since they have them in stock and B&H is saying "usually ships in 7-14 business days"...hope Adorama does me right.

sponsored links

1,136,818 views & 43,944 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.