Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 27, 2021 21:37 |  #51226

LeeRatters wrote in post #19299929 (external link)
Anyone got the recent Sigma 35mm f/2?

The build of the iSeries is simply amazing, however I haven’t tried that one specifically yet. I tried the 24f2 and it’s right up there with the GM and Samyang 24 f1.8. All very good 24’s and while the Sigma was a little smaller than I imagined, it is a hefty piece. The aperture wheel and overall build has got to be even better than voigtlander. I do gotta give a shout to the compact series by Sony, the build is fantastic and they do it without being heavy. They built the hood half plastic half steel probably to keep weight down while having favorable properties.

The iSeries and new compact are the most aesthetically pleasing lenses and performance is great. If there’s a critique with the iSeries is the sun star, wasn’t that great.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

sponsored links
alfredomora
Cream of the Crop
8,797 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2021 22:26 |  #51227

TRhoads wrote in post #19300171 (external link)
Mine doesn't even want to know. I use money earned from Photography only for gear. That way it is just fueling the monster.

I have been fine with the V90 Sony Tough Cards. I don't need CFA cards yet.

As Jose mentioned, that is going to block ports.

The RRS one is good, I got the ultralight one, it does not extend the full width but it is tripod mounted most of the time when using a bracket. I sent the SmallRig one back. It was far inferior in quality and lightness.

Thank you Travis. I ordered one of the Sony Tough cards, an extra battery, and pre-ordered the full width RRS L bracket. I think the ultralight one would work well too. And I got that eyepiece that someone recommended. That should do it for now.

- Alfredo -
Sony a7RII | Voightlander 12 f5.6 | Sony 16-35 GM f2.8 | Zeiss Batis 18 f2.8 | Zeiss Loxia 21 f2.8 | FE 55 f1.8 | Zeiss Loxia 85 f2.4 | Sony 100-400 GM |
Portfolio (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,390 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2021 00:33 |  #51228

Choderboy wrote in post #19300086 (external link)
Yeah. It's good. Got the 24 3.5 too.

Charlie wrote in post #19300174 (external link)
The build of the iSeries is simply amazing, however I haven’t tried that one specifically yet. I tried the 24f2 and it’s right up there with the GM and Samyang 24 f1.8. All very good 24’s and while the Sigma was a little smaller than I imagined, it is a hefty piece. The aperture wheel and overall build has got to be even better than voigtlander. I do gotta give a shout to the compact series by Sony, the build is fantastic and they do it without being heavy. They built the hood half plastic half steel probably to keep weight down while having favorable properties.

The iSeries and new compact are the most aesthetically pleasing lenses and performance is great. If there’s a critique with the iSeries is the sun star, wasn’t that great.

Thanks both. I'm thinking a little outside the box here, and it's certainly just the start of some thinking. But I'm not being wowed by the 35GM images like I was the CV40 images. I don't know whether it's my mood, locations and conditions or what really. I used to edit my Voigtlander images without even trying yet right now I feel kinda lost with it all.

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2021 02:38 |  #51229

LeeRatters wrote in post #19300226 (external link)
Thanks both. I'm thinking a little outside the box here, and it's certainly just the start of some thinking. But I'm not being wowed by the 35GM images like I was the CV40 images. I don't know whether it's my mood, locations and conditions or what really. I used to edit my Voigtlander images without even trying yet right now I feel kinda lost with it all.

Hi Lee, try Carlo’s Flickr for some great examples of the sigma 35, they are better that the Flickr group examples!

I wonder if your is issue is more perception/expectation​? Sounds like you still love the CV40 lens and images - then you spend a shed load of cash on a lens that gets stellar reviews - only to end up with the same (ish) images!?

The 35 GM pics are super clinical in my view. Mega sharp on point of focus and nice soft backgrounds. Opposite to you - I love looking at the images from the lens on the iPad - they pop massively and I can fairly easily tell which ones are from the lens. But all that said, the super clinical look might not be for you?

Last thought - that extra compression and depth of field will make a difference on the CV40 albeit maybe not a stand out difference. Can’t remember if you’ve got the 1.2 or 1.4 but obv the 1.2 would be even more of a difference.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps a bit!

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
My Flickr (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,390 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2021 03:15 |  #51230

Monkey moss wrote in post #19300233 (external link)
Hi Lee, try Carlo’s Flickr for some great examples of the sigma 35, they are better that the Flickr group examples!

I wonder if your is issue is more perception/expectation​? Sounds like you still love the CV40 lens and images - then you spend a shed load of cash on a lens that gets stellar reviews - only to end up with the same (ish) images!?

The 35 GM pics are super clinical in my view. Mega sharp on point of focus and nice soft backgrounds. Opposite to you - I love looking at the images from the lens on the iPad - they pop massively and I can fairly easily tell which ones are from the lens. But all that said, the super clinical look might not be for you?

Last thought - that extra compression and depth of field will make a difference on the CV40 albeit maybe not a stand out difference. Can’t remember if you’ve got the 1.2 or 1.4 but obv the 1.2 would be even more of a difference.

Just some thoughts, hope it helps a bit!

Cheers mate. I do understand you there.

I much prefer my CV40 images to my 35GM images in my Flickr albums - I do have a lot more 40mm images though too in all fairness.

I have the 40mm f/1.2 in E mount.

The GM quality and sharpness is perfect even wide open. And star and Milky Way photography are amazing. I'm just not getting the look or the feeling I want from my images anymore.

I might have to do some very careful side by side comparisons and see what I can do in PP maybe because having AF is a certain bonus as is a big aperture especially on days out with family and walking the dog. So many more keepers even in the old A7 AF and face detect!

It's difficult!

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2021 03:33 as a reply to  @ LeeRatters's post |  #51231

From what you’re describing, it doesn’t sound like the sigma will give you anything extra in terms of final images. Think the benefits of that lens are more, cost and the physical aspects of the lens itself.

I also remember you suggesting a camera upgrade might be in your future at some point. Obviously the more modern cameras will play even better with the GM autofocus. It is ridiculously quick even on my 7iii.

Yes, sounds like a few side by sides and maybe a new preset might help. Ah, the endless world of improving colours/presets in Lightroom!! :lol:

Monkey ­ moss
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 28, 2021 03:44 |  #51232

LeeRatters wrote in post #19300236 (external link)
It's difficult!

We make it difficult! Myself included. But it isn’t really.

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,390 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2021 03:48 |  #51233

Monkey moss wrote in post #19300240 (external link)
From what you’re describing, it doesn’t sound like the sigma will give you anything extra in terms of final images. Think the benefits of that lens are more, cost and the physical aspects of the lens itself.

I also remember you suggesting a camera upgrade might be in your future at some point. Obviously the more modern cameras will play even better with the GM autofocus. It is ridiculously quick even on my 7iii.

Yes, sounds like a few side by sides and maybe a new preset might help. Ah, the endless world of improving colours/presets in Lightroom!! :lol:

I have had a good clear out of Lightroom presets already...... ;) That is my next thing to look back into also. Keeping things simple. I just don't feel settled..... might just be my current mood though, I do have stuff going on right now.

I actuality prefer the 35GM for night skies than I do the 20G in all honesty. It is that good for it!

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,987 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Oct 28, 2021 06:12 |  #51234

LeeRatters wrote in post #19300236 (external link)
Cheers mate. I do understand you there.

I much prefer my CV40 images to my 35GM images in my Flickr albums - I do have a lot more 40mm images though too in all fairness.

I have the 40mm f/1.2 in E mount.

The GM quality and sharpness is perfect even wide open. And star and Milky Way photography are amazing. I'm just not getting the look or the feeling I want from my images anymore.

I might have to do some very careful side by side comparisons and see what I can do in PP maybe because having AF is a certain bonus as is a big aperture especially on days out with family and walking the dog. So many more keepers even in the old A7 AF and face detect!

It's difficult!

Lee I suspect what prefer in the CV40 is the softer contrast, glow and more vintage quality.

The 35i is more closely related to the CV40 than the GM is in that regard. The 35 GM is a more digital looking lens which has its perks, but I prefer the 35i/CV40 for PJ style photos.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

AngelofDepth
649 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Oct 28, 2021 06:36 |  #51235

I'm considering the 35i for environmental portraits. What do you guys think of that lens for that use?

flickr (external link)

LeeRatters
Cream of the Crop
6,390 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2021 07:11 |  #51236

mystik610 wrote in post #19300265 (external link)
Lee I suspect what prefer in the CV40 is the softer contrast, glow and more vintage quality.

The 35i is more closely related to the CV40 than the GM is in that regard. The 35 GM is a more digital looking lens which has its perks, but I prefer the 35i/CV40 for PJ style photos.

That is the road my thinking is heading down I think. I've no issues with the actual 35GM with regard to size, weight, filter size etc

I think I'm going to try to nail the look I can get from it, do some proper comparison images with all my lenses and take things from there. One reason I didn't like the original FE55 was because it was too clean with no feeling in the images. Plus, that extra 5mm of course! ;)

Thanks for the input :)

alfredomora
Cream of the Crop
8,797 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2021 07:27 |  #51237

The Nikon Z9 looks good. Definitely beefy. All of this competition among camera manufacturers leads to innovation.

- Alfredo -
Sony a7RII | Voightlander 12 f5.6 | Sony 16-35 GM f2.8 | Zeiss Batis 18 f2.8 | Zeiss Loxia 21 f2.8 | FE 55 f1.8 | Zeiss Loxia 85 f2.4 | Sony 100-400 GM |
Portfolio (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,206 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2021 09:05 |  #51238

Just polished my Harley takes ages lol

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51634434197_511fcc68c5_h.jpg

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,206 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 28, 2021 09:07 as a reply to  @ GyRob's post |  #51239

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51635909474_b3e5e5faff_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2mET​wVh  (external link) DSC09205 (external link) by Robert Hardy (external link), on Flickr

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Oct 28, 2021 11:20 |  #51240

Loving the ultra-portability of the A7c so far, but I'm definitely still getting used to the new body.

This blind man was serenading the grocery store parking lot with a passionate ballad two weekends ago, and he let me take his picture after I put some well-earned bread in his jar.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7c, Sony FE28-60 f4-5.6, Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,884,803 views & 124,568 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.