Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,873 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2018 01:33 |  #13936

digital_AM wrote in post #18588302 (external link)
Thanks! I think the last one is my favorite too.

Mine three. ;-)a

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

sponsored links
ccp900
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by ccp900.

Mar 18, 2018 04:41 |  #13937

MM and other birders. 1 short question. when you shoot BIF with your Sony gear, do you use lock on af (either spot or wide) or do you use the old technique of using a single af point and continously keep that point on the subject following its movement?

Thanks

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,163 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 18, 2018 10:13 |  #13938

With my little experience with birds, AF-C/Wide works. but that's a closer distance. i don't know with long lenses and far subject if it works.

VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE50F1.8 | FE35F1.4ZA | FE1635F4 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro | FOR SALE: LAOWA 15MM F2 ZERO-D
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

ccp900
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 18, 2018 10:18 |  #13939

vinmunoz wrote in post #18588468 (external link)
With my little experience with birds, AF-C/Wide works. but that's a closer distance. i don't know with long lenses and far subject if it works.

Thanks pre. so you use locked on af wide

[Sony A7R Mark 3 | Sony A7S | Sony Zeiss 16-35m f/4.0 | Sony FE 28m f2 | Sony Zeiss 55m f1.8 | Sony FE 28-70m f/3.5-5.6 | Helios 44-2 | Helios 44-3 | Nikon 105m f/2.5 AIS | Contax Zeiss Planar 50m f1.7 | Contax Zeiss Planar 100m f2 | Voigtlander Nokton 40m f/1.4 | Canon 24-105m f/4.0L | Canon 85m f/1.8 | Sigma 30m f/1.4 | Canon 10-22m f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 100m f/2.8 Macro USM | Canon 580 EX Ver 1.0]

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,563 posts
Gallery: 1371 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 4 months ago by MedicineMan4040.

Mar 18, 2018 10:24 |  #13940

ccp900 wrote in post #18588343 (external link)
MM and other birders. 1 short question. when you shoot BIF with your Sony gear, do you use lock on af (either spot or wide) or do you use the old technique of using a single af point and continously keep that point on the subject following its movement?

Thanks

I watched Mark Galer, I think I remember that he likes the Lock on a lot. Me I'm mixed/depending on conditions. With the a9's no blackout it is easy to keep a smaller number of AF points on the target.
I cannot keep even center focus area on a birds head when they are flying---that is my reality but I've learned even with the 7Dii (10fps) that if I can keep it close and have a decent aperture chances are
I might get one with eye(s) sharp. 20fps from a9 just improves my odds.

Remember I post good and bad here so we can all learn. Here's one from yesterday that just doesn't quite make the cut for my satisfaction, but it does show how the a9 can deal with a crap background. I'd seen the hawk go down from
a distance, I ran (ok, walked as fast as I could in that direction), next thing I know he is flying back up and very much in my direction.
When I saw him coming my way my thumb started holding the AF-ON which I have mapped/Register Custom Hold=1/1600, Highlight metering, F8 (which usually bumps up to F11 with the zoom and TC), AF-C Zone,Auto-ISO, etc but NOT lock-on.

Maybe I'm always shooting in bramble (unless on a Florida trip) and lock-on does fine with a clear sky? My method most resembles what I did in the Canon world (to me). I think say with a surfer lock on would do fine or an Egret against a blue sky.
Like I say not the greatest but I had 1/2 second to get on him and got 5 shots between him going from one bramble to another and then over the trees.

ALSO ccp, I am NOT a birder. I'm a wannabe photographer.
In Panama last year we screwed up royally and went on a 'birding' trip...one day the guide sees a Kestral 50 yards away in crap light on a crap perch; they stop the van, he sets up the scope, they all take turns looking through it, then they check off their little box on the species list. Next day we pass another Kestrel with a snake in its mouth, perfect perch, perfect morning light and 20 feet away---I asked if they are going to stop, 'no, we got the Kestrel yesterday' aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr​gggggggg. Never go on a birding trip!

Forgot to mention this too. This image also shows the weakness of the a9 and that is cropability. The bierd was kinda distant and I think just barely makes usable in the crop with resolution; any more and it wouldn't have been usable at all. The A7Riii would have given me the world for cropping but I'd gotten 1 image at best with it and maybe not that.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,634 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by idsurfer.

Mar 18, 2018 10:44 |  #13941

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18588481 (external link)
I watched Mark Galer, I think I remember that he likes the Lock on a lot. Me I'm mixed/depending on conditions. With the a9's no blackout it is easy to keep a smaller number of AF points on the target.
I cannot keep even center focus area on a birds head when they are flying---that is my reality but I've learned even with the 7Dii (10fps) that if I can keep it close and have a decent aperture chances are

Remember I post good and bad here so we can all learn. Here's one from yesterday that just doesn't quite make the cut for my satisfaction, but it does show how the a9 can deal with a crap background. I'd seen the hawk go down from
a distance, I ran (ok, walked as fast as I could in that direction), next thing I know he is flying back up and very much in my direction.
When I saw him coming my way my thumb started holding the AF-ON which I have mapped/Register Custom Hold=1/1600, Highlight metering, F8 (which usually bumps up to F11 with the zoom and TC), AF-C Zone,Auto-ISO, etc but NOT lock-on.

Maybe I'm always shooting in bramble (unless on a Florida trip) and lock-on does fine with a clear sky? My method most resembles what I did in the Canon world (to me). I think say with a surfer lock on would do fine or an Egret against a blue sky.
Like I say not the greatest but I had 1/2 second to get on him and got 5 shots between him going from one bramble to another and then over the trees.

In Panama last year we screwed up royally and went on a 'birding' trip...one day the guide sees a Kestral 50 yards away in crap light on a crap perch; they stop the van, he sets up the scope, they all take turns looking through it, then they check off their little box on the species list. Next day we pass another Kestrel with a snake in its mouth, perfect perch, perfect morning light and 20 feet away---I asked if they are going to stop, 'no, we got the Kestrel yesterday' aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr​gggggggg. Never go on a birding trip!

Forgot to mention this too. This image also shows the weakness of the a9 and that is cropability. The bierd was kinda distant and I think just barely makes usable in the crop with resolution; any more and it wouldn't have been usable at all. The A7Riii would have given me the world for cropping but I'd gotten 1 image at best with it and maybe not that.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=185​88481&i=i202562204
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​88481&i=i151728445

That's crazy!!

Cory
Sony ⍺6500 | Samyang 2/12 | Sony/Zeiss E 1.8/24 | Sony E 1.8/50
flickr (external link)

Feedback

MedicineMan4040
14,563 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 18, 2018 10:57 |  #13942

idsurfer wrote in post #18588494 (external link)
That's crazy!!

Crazy bad, I know. Just not quite there. Compare with this one. Of course the difference between the light here in the Appalachians compared to central Florida has a lot to do with it too. And the FE100400 with TC screams for all the light it can get.
Now if this zoom can take a 2.0TC, can you imagine what the 400/2.8 will be like? Too bad I'm not 18 and super wealthy :)

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

ccp900
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 18, 2018 11:14 |  #13943

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18588481 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​88481&i=i202562204

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​88481&i=i151728445

Thanks so much MM. Even though you say you are not a birder i find your photos quite amazing. Thank you for chiming in on your thought process.

MedicineMan4040
14,563 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 18, 2018 12:22 |  #13944

ccp900 wrote in post #18588518 (external link)
Thanks so much MM. Even though you say you are not a birder i find your photos quite amazing. Thank you for chiming in on your thought process.

Nope. No birder here. But I love imaging them. Such a challenge to get it all right. You're very kind with the words. Thanks :)
Oh, proof I'm not a birder, I can probably truly identify 20 bierds. But I can tell you what shutter speed I'll need ha!

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
14,563 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 18, 2018 12:25 |  #13945

Gene is your splash kit on the way? I bet you will have tons and tons of fun with it plus you
have the flash knowledge Poof and I stumble on.
Last night we used a different set up.
Four flashes aimed at the background, not at the drop area. Background just a piece of white foam board.

I keep forgetting POTN cannot/will not update the internal EXIF reader (or whateverthefrak it is called)-used
the A7Riii + 4 x Godox 350TTS and the old timey Godox commander :)

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,873 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 18, 2018 13:53 |  #13946

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18588574 (external link)
Gene is your splash kit on the way? I bet you will have tons and tons of fun with it plus you
have the flash knowledge Poof and I stumble on.
Last night we used a different set up.
Four flashes aimed at the background, not at the drop area. Background just a piece of white foam board.

I keep forgetting POTN cannot/will not update the internal EXIF reader (or whateverthefrak it is called)-used
the A7Riii + 4 x Godox 350TTS and the old timey Godox commander :)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​88574&i=i41719061

To be honest, I haven't gotten a trigger yet. Now that my grandson is no longer staying with me, I'll be able to get into splash photography more seriously. Thanks for posting images like this for inspiration (great sig too).

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,449 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 18, 2018 14:01 |  #13947

navydoc wrote in post #18588040 (external link)
Oh, and a belated Happy St. Patty's Day to ya all. ♣ ;-)a

Nice touch with your name on the can

My Gear flickr (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
11,873 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by navydoc. (2 edits in all)

Mar 18, 2018 14:05 |  #13948

Bianchi wrote in post #18588642 (external link)
Nice touch with your name on the can

Thanks. I also changed the "Mary Kitchen" to "My Kitchen" with the shamrock in green. :-)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,449 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by Bianchi.

Mar 18, 2018 14:33 |  #13949

Sony a7 III dynamic range and high ISO improve over its predecessor

https://www.dpreview.c​om …rove-over-its-predecessor (external link)

You might also find the noise comparisons at different ISO's interesting

http://www.photonstoph​otos.net …M3_14,Sony%20IL​CE-7RM3_14 (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,380 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 4 months ago by rantercsr.

Mar 18, 2018 14:53 |  #13950

I've heard by some YouTube's that its high iso is better than the 7s2,, then I've heard other YouTube rs say that its being blown way out of proportion.

Unfortunately it seems like its getting harder to get unbiased info .. words like "this camera is a beast, monster , it annihilates , destroys xxx camera , etc get thrown around so freely by many big YouTube's its hard to tell if they are just ensuring they get into the next event

Fuji XT2 / Panasonic GH5 / Sony A7R3 / Canon t4i / Pentax K1000
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

sponsored links

911,428 views & 36,784 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.