Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,544 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 28, 2018 05:32 |  #14416

Two from Sutro Baths in San Francisco. We had tried to scout the place Sunday afternoon, but it was an absolute zoo...people everywhere. So we hoped Monday night would be a little more calm. And it was, but there were still people everywhere...especiall​y portrait/wedding photogs using the place to do bride and groom images...and some of them were pretty stuck in their own thing to care about anyone else...so both of these were blends of multiple frames to get the place nearly devoid of people. It was a challenge getting the exposures to blend, since they were all slightly different, but I think it worked out ok. I have not decided which composition I like better.
#2: As the sun lit up the high clouds, but set behind the low level clouds on the horizon...this was the peak of the color...which means not much! SR app used here.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

#2: Traditional LE, 6 Stop Filter, 3 Minutes, well into blue hour, it was underexposed by 1.5 stops at least...but the Sony lets you pull it up...

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 28, 2018 05:56 |  #14417

Both nice Travis but I prefer the 2nd composition

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

kekane
86 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 28, 2018 06:02 |  #14418

navydoc wrote in post #18595128 (external link)
I decided on the Pluto trigger and valve. I chose it as it seems to do more than just splash photography and at a decent price compared to the others out there. We shall see how well it works soon.

Thank you. I was looking at pluto vs miops and am leaning towards pluto.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,033 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 28, 2018 06:19 |  #14419

oh i got one more practice edit from the series.

HOSTED PHOTO

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

kekane
86 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 28, 2018 06:42 |  #14420

TRhoads wrote in post #18595373 (external link)
Brazos Bend State Park. You would enjoy it, lots of hiking, tons of wildlife...

Great! I live 20 minutes from here. I just need to "make" the time and get my butt there.

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 28, 2018 06:54 |  #14421

TRhoads wrote in post #18595568 (external link)
Two from Sutro Baths in San Francisco. We had tried to scout the place Sunday afternoon, but it was an absolute zoo...people everywhere. So we hoped Monday night would be a little more calm. And it was, but there were still people everywhere...especiall​y portrait/wedding photogs using the place to do bride and groom images...and some of them were pretty stuck in their own thing to care about anyone else...so both of these were blends of multiple frames to get the place nearly devoid of people. It was a challenge getting the exposures to blend, since they were all slightly different, but I think it worked out ok. I have not decided which composition I like better.
#2: As the sun lit up the high clouds, but set behind the low level clouds on the horizon...this was the peak of the color...which means not much! SR app used here.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TRhoads in
./showthread.php?p=185​95568&i=i158568388
forum: Sony Cameras

#2: Traditional LE, 6 Stop Filter, 3 Minutes, well into blue hour, it was underexposed by 1.5 stops at least...but the Sony lets you pull it up...

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​95568&i=i61102828

Very nice. I like the composition of #2 as well.
Yes, Sutro Baths, and all scenic areas of SF for that matter, is always busy. Weekends can be sheer pandemonium. Places like Baker Beach, Hawk Hill and Twin Peaks get packed with people.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,544 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 28, 2018 09:47 |  #14422

xpfloyd wrote in post #18595575 (external link)
Both nice Travis but I prefer the 2nd composition

thanks, me too...I would have preferred to shoot the whole time from there...but my friend got setup there first! I took #2 after he had called it quits.

kekane wrote in post #18595596 (external link)
Great! I live 20 minutes from here. I just need to "make" the time and get my butt there.

20 minutes....I would need a bigger set of hard drives...

DBNissan wrote in post #18595598 (external link)
Very nice. I like the composition of #2 as well.
Yes, Sutro Baths, and all scenic areas of SF for that matter, is always busy. Weekends can be sheer pandemonium. Places like Baker Beach, Hawk Hill and Twin Peaks get packed with people.

Thanks. yeah, that place was insane...we did go to Baker Beach, but it was cold and overcast, and still found lots of people...some wearing clothes, some not...Hawk Hill was desolate the one time I went. Never been to Twin Peaks.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,998 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 28, 2018 10:08 |  #14423

Sunset in Arches NP again last night. The rock here takes golden hour to another level.

While I was running around frantically looking for shots I looked up to see my daughter scrambling across rocks a little ways over. It was kinda neat.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/783/26202867917_083934d163_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FVsx​JM  (external link) Garden of Eden, Arches NP. (external link) by ID Surfer (external link), on Flickr

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

cc1995
280 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by cc1995. (2 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2018 11:03 |  #14424

mystik610 wrote in post #18595345 (external link)
A couple shots from the wedding Travis and I shot this wknd. Cool venue, but probably the hardest thing to light ever

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22NE​daY  (external link) _DSC9994 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25yu​NLH  (external link) DSC07145 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25yu​NY6  (external link) _DSC0039 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22NE​e2C  (external link) DSC07524 (external link) by Carlo Alcala (external link), on Flickr

Great shots. Greenhouse with high ceilings seems like a horror show to shoot at night unless you have an assistant following you around with an off camera flash. Did you end up using on-camera flash with some type of modifier (like the Gary Fong Sphere or similar). Just curious since i got asked to shoot an event at night in a space that has high ceilings with cross beams running flat below the ceiling. So if I try to bounce anything up the light is going to come down with harsh shadows of the beams everywhere. This is for my child's school for a Gala fundraiser for the school...nothing too serious and it's more just to document the event and I'm doing it as part of my community hours we as a family need to contribute to the school as a way to keep the tuition down. To boot, it's a Kentucky Derby theme with the ladies wearing these big hats which aren't going to help my cause with lighting as well. I feel like my only option is on-camera flash with a modifier of some sort. I don't have an assistant to walk around holding an off camera light for me..I'm doing this solo. Any advice...lol

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,482 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 28, 2018 11:15 |  #14425

idsurfer wrote in post #18595688 (external link)
Sunset in Arches NP again last night. The rock here takes golden hour to another level.

While I was running around frantically looking for shots I looked up to see my daughter scrambling across rocks a little ways over. It was kinda neat.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FVsx​JM  (external link) Garden of Eden, Arches NP. (external link) by ID Surfer (external link), on Flickr

Nice sense of scale with your daughter in the scene and I really like the 3D separation between that ridge and the rocks behind her.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

idsurfer
Cream of the Crop
5,998 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 28, 2018 11:22 |  #14426

navydoc wrote in post #18595726 (external link)
Nice sense of scale with your daughter in the scene and I really like the 3D separation between that ridge and the rocks behind her.

Thanks! Yes, the 3D effect was what I was hoping for. This area is called “garden of Eden” and is super awesome! Endless possibilities for Photo compositions.

Cory
Sony ⍺6400 | Sigma 56/1.4 | Sony/Zeiss E 24/1.8 | Sigma 16./1.4 | Zeiss Touit 12/2.8
flickr (external link)
Feedback

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2018 11:33 |  #14427

vinmunoz wrote in post #18595585 (external link)
oh i got one more practice edit from the series.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by vinmunoz in
./showthread.php?p=185​95585&i=i165215841

Great Interior shot! Just trying to figure out what's outside?

HOSTED PHOTO

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

rantercsr
Goldmember
3,243 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 28, 2018 11:38 |  #14428

messing around with shadows and food

HOSTED PHOTO

My portraits IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=mgkaaPZt47U (external link)

cc1995
280 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by cc1995.

Mar 28, 2018 11:47 |  #14429

Just to update everyone interested in the picture I posted of my sensor a few days ago with those spots I couldn't get off after trying with the Aero-clipse and #3 swabs. I was going to buy some of that Smear Away solution that MedicineMan recommended to see if that would do the trick after making about 8 passes with the Aero-clipse. Before I did I thought I would bring it to Hunts Camera which is right down the street from me to get their opinion on it since I was a bit worried about whether I might damage my sensor and just some piece of mind since they have more experience. I showed them the spots and they even tried cleaning it themselves free of charge with my supplies a few times and they said those spots were on there pretty good and they don't do anything else except for the stuff that I use and that usually does the trick. Said I probably had them on the sensor for a bit and that they can get on their pretty good sometimes. He recommended a place called MidState camera nearby and said they can give it a try and are really good with that stuff. I guess they do all the camera work for the NE Patriots and Pawtucket Red Sox and bunch of the newspapers and TV stations in our area. I brought my camera to them and showed them the sensor spots and explained that I never bring my camera to the beach of anywhere really dusty, etc. I baby the thing. He looked at it and said they think they could clean it and it didn't look like anything bad. Said they use the Aero-clipse stuff and if that doesn't with they have another solution that people in their business use. They called me back about a day and a half later and said he got it cleaned. Said they had to use the second solution on the two bigger spots but got the smaller ones off with the first stuff they used. The sensor looks like new and no issues or anything. They actually only charged me $45 which I thought was fantastic for the quality of work they did. I'm going to be a bit more diligent in the future about blowing off anything I see on the sensor and not waiting for it to adhere like the ones i just had cleaned off. I think my issue was that I never really wanted to mess with the sensor for fear of damaging it and I never noticed any problems or saw the spots in my photos because I was almost always shooting people and my children in very wide apertures. It wasn't until I started messing around with trying some landscapes and closing down the aperture that I noticed the sensor spots. I guess you live and learn. I'm just glad I didn't have to ship the camera to Sony or that I didn't ruin the sensor altogether. I'm one happy camper right now. Thanks again to you all for your helpful input as always, especially MedicineMan and TRhoads.

ChrisHeathcote
190 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 28, 2018 12:21 |  #14430

TRhoads wrote in post #18595568 (external link)

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​95568&i=i158568388

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=185​95568&i=i61102828

Great shots Travis, another vote for the second. It reminds me I really need to get out more

sponsored links

4,395,644 views & 77,215 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.