Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Jun 2017 (Monday) 11:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

D810 + 14-24 vs 5DSR +11-24

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jun 12, 2017 11:27 |  #1

Hi all,

Thinking of adding a non-fisheye ultra wide angle lens and high resolution body. Which combination would yield "better" results? I'm currently on a Canon system, but looking to build a travel kit.

Some considerations:
- resolution
- dynamic range
- filter compatibility

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

sponsored links
tdlavigne
350 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jun 14, 2017 00:10 |  #2

Can't go wrong with either one. For your considerations: DR = Nikon hands down. Resolution = Canon hands down. Filter choices = I know Nikon has 3rd party options (Lee for one, and a couple others), and I'd imagine the same companies also make one for the Canon.

At the end of the day it really just boils down to DR vs Resolution. Do you need more detail or to print large, or possibly crop after the fact? Or do you need the extra stop or so of DR? You can bracket the Canon and work around the DR in post, but you can't make up for the 14 less MP if you go Nikon.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 14, 2017 07:06 |  #3

for landscape the Nikon is far superior

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Drums
46 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 14, 2017 08:38 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #4

Nikon may be superior but such sweeping statements are open to ridicule.
Nikon doesn't go all the way to 11 (mm),
Nikon's tilt shift lenses don't match Canons,
as said before Nikon doesn't go to 50mp (as of June 2017) (unless the next gen is announced in the next 2 weeks possibly..)
Nikons ergonomics aren't appreciated by Canon users,
you say Nikon is superior for landscape, that is only your opinion without evidence.

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
784 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 14, 2017 12:54 |  #5

I have the D810 with the Wonderpana filter kit. It's large but I don't get any vignetting at 14mm. Of concern with these ultra-wide angle lenses, especially as you mention this will be a travelling kit, is how you you will be able to arrange all of your gear in your bag/backpack when in the field. The filters and holders for these lenses are HUGE. I tend to leave the filter holder on the lens at all times. That means that when my camera is in my bag the 14-24 is on the camera body because there isn't enough space to put that large lens and filter combo in any other compartment. That's a bit of a hassle when I'm shooting with another lens as I have to put the 14-24 back on when I'm finished and putting the camera in the bag.

This is my setup below. You can see that the filters are large as is the filter holder. However, I am able to get my holy trinity (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) with all filters, batteries, etc. into my ICU. When I'm in the field the filters (in the red cloth holders) sits outside and on top of the ICU.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Below is my friends setup. He leaves the filter holder off of the lens which gives him a lot more flexability as he can leave any lens on the body when it's in the bag. I'm probably going to move to that setup.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

With the 11-24, the filters have to be even larger, which for me would be enough to rule that lens out. The filters would also be heavier, a concern when I'm counting grams for backcountry trips. I mean, look at this insanity (external link) of a filter setup for the 11-24 (I don't know how other filter setups compare). There is no way I would even consider taking that on a backpacking trip.

The D810 has better dynamic range too, which is why landscape photographers favor the sony sensor in the D810 and Sony cameras over Canon.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by FuturamaJSP.

Jun 15, 2017 05:27 as a reply to  @ Drums's post |  #6

I was talking about the bodies, D810 vs 5DSR
If there is an EF adapter for the D810 I would have switched to Nikon years ago

https://www.dpreview.c​om …1&y=-0.001650126039982514 (external link)

maybe the op should consider the Sony A7RII + ef 11-24

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Drums
46 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 15, 2017 07:14 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #7

But its not just a body, it is a system, and all that goes with that including lenses flashes and customer support (CPS).

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 16, 2017 02:17 |  #8

are you saying that Sony or Nikon wouldn't provide customer support if you don't use their lenses with their cameras?
besides the customer support thing is very overrated. I've never had to contact them in the past 9 years i've used Canon products and I am sure both Nikon and Sony systems are just as reliable.

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Drums
46 posts
Joined Jun 2016

Jun 16, 2017 04:59 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #9

Oh I'm sure Nikon and Sony customer service works, but you still didn't provide any evidence for your first sweeping statement. Unlike the other post which even provided photos and was well reasoned and thought out, might even persuade me!!

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,085 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 16, 2017 05:50 |  #10

idkdc wrote in post #18376694 (external link)
Hi all,

Thinking of adding a non-fisheye ultra wide angle lens and high resolution body. Which combination would yield "better" results? I'm currently on a Canon system, but looking to build a travel kit.

Some considerations:
- resolution
- dynamic range
- filter compatibility

Also a Canon shooter myself (1DXii and 5DSR) but also a Sony A7Rii owner. I am not a Landscape expert, I shoot weddings, portraits and some sports, but I would highly recommend the A7Rii for your wide angle landscape needs - that sensor is just amazing. I have also compared, with some pretty heavy pixel peeping, the A7Rii and its non AA filtered 42 megapixel versus the cancelling AA filter 50 megapixel 5DSR and they are extremely close - with the exception that there is just more DR with that amazing Sony sensor - and the IBIS will allow you to do handheld stuff that is completely and totally impossible with the 5DSR - a camera that you basically must use with IS lenses or a tripod. With the launch of the Sony A9, you can now find used A7Riis everywhere.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

1,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
D810 + 14-24 vs 5DSR +11-24
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.