Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jun 2017 (Monday) 14:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Precision Color ink refillers - Post your experiences and advice please

Nathan
So boring
7,704 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan. (2 edits in all)

Jun 19, 2017 14:41 |  #1

I'm looking into the precision color ink refills as a more cost effective (and for me space saving) option. I've gotten by upgrading printers buying whatever is on Craigslist for the cost of set of branded ink refills and more recently jumped on that free paper deal. Now I have too many unused printers in the basement that I need to get rid of and several boxes of paper.

I'm on the Precision Color website and I'll probably just get the 32 oz kit with a full set of cartridges... what do you think?

Advice? What should I know?

For example, what does "purge" mean? I don't understand the process and reasons for it below.

05Xrunner wrote in post #18224623 (external link)
Dont replace 1 cart at a time if your refilling. everytime you replace a cart the printer will purge all 8 carts. So then you are wasting alot of ink then you will be on a cycle of replacing one cart every week cause of it and purging all 8 each time. Then once the pads in the printer are 100 saturated they cannot take anymore from purges or cleaning the printer is basically dead. I have 2 sets so when 1 ink cart is low and about to run out i swap all 8 out. so its only 1 purge cycle and then refill all the ones i pulled ready to go in the next time 1 goes low. so you are doing ALOT less ink purges and saving alot of ink

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
hidroela
292 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jul 2014

Jun 19, 2017 14:51 |  #2

Nathan wrote in post #18382090 (external link)
I'm looking into the precision color ink refills as a more cost effective (and for me space saving) option. I've gotten by upgrading printers buying whatever is on Craigslist for the cost of set of branded ink refills and more recently jumped on that free paper deal. Now I have too many unused printers in the basement that I need to get rid of and several boxes of paper.

I'm on the Precision Color website and I'll probably just get the 32 oz kit with a full set of cartridges... what do you think?

Advice? What should I know?

first thing I did when I bought my Canon printer was to get the 32 oz, I refused to pay that much for there's (canon). all that been say, i am happy with the results. take note I am not an expert in photo printer.

Pérez
GEAR

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,541 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by agedbriar.

Jun 19, 2017 15:55 |  #3

Refillers gather here:

https://www.printerkno​wledge.com/ (external link)

Purging, in that context, means priming the cartridges (with some ink wasting).

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,941 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 20, 2017 03:47 |  #4

Nathan wrote in post #18382090 (external link)
For example, what does "purge" mean? I don't understand the process and reasons for it below.

You have one cartridge that is empty, one that is an eighth full, one a qtr full, and five half full.

When you replace the one empty cartridge the system has to flush out the residue from the old cart so that you only have the new ink (to avoid any colour differences in the two causing problems). However they don't just flush the one ink they flush all 8 (which uses up ink meaning you will have to replace them sooner).

Two weeks later the second cartridge (that was an eighth full) runs out, so you replace that and the whole system gets purged again wasting more ink. Then three weeks later again and again. Each time you replace one cart all eight get purged.

The solution is to not just replace the one empty cart but also all the partially empty carts at the same time. That way the system will do a purge of all 8 as usual but now all the carts are full, so in two weeks you won't have to replace another cart (with another purge) and then do the same again in three weeks (with another purge).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan.

Jun 20, 2017 15:14 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #5

Oh, okay. So, something like this. Nothing's ever really 100% full due to the purge.

Ink Levels
Full 3.99 LGY C PC BK
3.00 LGY GY C M PC BK
Half 2.00 LGY GY C M PC BK
1.00 LGY GY PM C M PC BK
Empty 0.00 LGY GY PM C M PC Y BK

Yellow is zero, so it needs to be replaced. Once you do, a "purge" occurs to get rid of residue (on the head?). Let's say the purge is .01 of an ink level. It brings down all other cartridges to by .01? Yellow, however, is actually 3.99 at that point?

Ink Levels
Full
3.98 LGY C PC Y BK
2.99 LGY GY C M PC Y BK
Half 1.99 LGY GY C M PC Y BK
0.99 LGY GY PM C M PC Y BK
Empty 0.00 LGY GY PM C M PC Y BK

So with the example above, when one cartridge needs replacing, you actually pull out all 8 and replace with the fresh set. Then you refill the old set and put aside. Wouldn't this create a potential for color difference problems between new and old ink in all the cartridges that are refilled back to full?

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,541 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by agedbriar.

Jun 20, 2017 15:55 |  #6

Nathan wrote in post #18382900 (external link)
So with the example above, when one cartridge needs replacing, you actually pull out all 8 and replace with the fresh set.

Yes, that's general practice among refillers and I've never heard of problems fom topping up partly used cartridges with fresh ink .

The reason for adopting that practice isn't only wasted ink cost (not that high with refill ink) but also to keep the waste ink absorbing pads from filling up too soon, consequently requiring an expensive service repair that can exceed a new printer's price.

But do visit the site I linked to above. There are things to watch out with refilling, like absolutely avoiding refilling the more recent original Canon yellow dye cartridges due to the gelling phenomenon.

This is just a sample thread on that issue:
https://www.printerkno​wledge.com …ellow-gelling-issue.9593/ (external link)

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan.

Jun 20, 2017 21:34 as a reply to  @ agedbriar's post |  #7

Thanks, I read about that and Precision Color basically reminds you over and over again on their site as you're checking out. But I will look at the rest.

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 02, 2017 21:34 |  #8

So I'm about to order some Precision Ink. I have two sets of old OEM cartridges that I haven't thrown out. Should I flush these and re-use or should I purchase the refurbs from Precision Color?

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 30, 2017 20:34 |  #9

I got my ink, but I'm a bit unclear about what to do with my existing cartridges.

Can I just reset and refill my 1/2 full OEM cartridges with Precision color ink? Would there be a problem with the Precision Color and OEM ink mixing? I know I should replace the entire yellow cartridge.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,769 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 30, 2017 20:56 |  #10

I may be wrong but I don't think mixing is a good idea. The PC inks will have their own color profiles as well so I don't think the chemical formulation is the same.

If you want to go down the Inkjet rabbit hole then subscribe to this guys YouTube channel...

https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCz9YXaSulpM90​vC24lmAeZA (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 30, 2017 22:58 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #11

Already watched a couple of his videos. Informative, but the guy talks a lot. I was looking for a quick answer. I have an event coming up where I'm printing on the spot. Just wanted to know what's the best way to go about it. I think I'm going to run through the OEM until one of them runs out. Then, I'll pop in the Precision Color inks I bought. If I run out again during the event, I'll just squeeze more into the Precision Colors. Figure out what to do with the OEM later... flush, etc. Would be nice just to be able to mix the inks, though (except for yellow. I know not to do that).

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,941 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Aug 01, 2017 00:07 |  #12

Nathan wrote in post #18415011 (external link)
Can I just reset and refill my 1/2 full OEM cartridges with Precision color ink? Would there be a problem with the Precision Color and OEM ink mixing? I know I should replace the entire yellow cartridge.

You need to replace all the OEM inks with the new ones and then you will most likely need to create a new profile for the new printer/ink/paper combination because the OEM ink profile you are using now won't be valid any more.

Mixing them would almost certainly be a bad idea. No way of knowing if the inks would actually mix properly or what the Frankinkstein Monster creation would look like.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

lacogada
260 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2015
Post edited 10 months ago by lacogada.

Aug 01, 2017 03:48 |  #13

Here is an email I sent to PC and their reply
---------------

Can your ink be mixed with Canon OEM ink ?
Does your CLI 42 chip re-setter work on the Canon OEM carts ?
---------------

Yes, it can be mixed with OEM ink. (not yellow)
The re-setter is guaranteed to work with OEM carts and chips. Over 10,000 in the field.

Mike

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,769 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Aug 01, 2017 08:28 |  #14

Interesting. CAN be mixed... but does it yield correct colors?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,704 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2017 10:33 |  #15

I found another board that discussed it and it seems to be what people do. They top off their OEM and little to no issues.

sponsored links

5,063 views & 10 likes for this thread
Precision Color ink refillers - Post your experiences and advice please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.