Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 04 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 19:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tripod for Landscapes, etc.

badams
699 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by badams.

Jul 04, 2017 19:10 |  #1

I already have a Gitzo 3541XLS for my 500mm lens, but I'm looking for something lighter and compact for doing landscapes with. I will be using a Canon 6D with a 24-105mm. May even use it for some macro as well which will be the same 6D and a Sigma 150mm macro lens and maybe some extension tubes.

I had thought about just buying a ballhead, but I like having both available at the same time so I really just want another complete unit, but something cheaper than the Gitzo.

I got one of the cheap Chinese aluminum tripods from Amazon, but it's not sturdy enough to suit me.

As far as price, maybe around $300 and an arca-swiss head. So what do ya'll recommend?

Everyday use: 7D2, 1.4x v3 Canon TC (sometimes the 2x v2 Canon TC), Canon 500mm f4 L IS USM; 6D, 24-105L
http://www.southernokp​hotography.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 05, 2017 19:42 |  #2

Normally I would suggest a Gitzo 2 series Mountaineer - but a new one is out of your price range, perhaps a used one?

If you are happy with "Systematic" type tripods (I am!) then the Feisol Tournament models are well worth a look:

http://www.feisol.net …s/tournament-tripods.html (external link)

Two friends of mine have these and they are pretty rigid + very light. I prefer the 3 leg section version. A little over you budget but good.

Most of my landscape stuff is done with a Sirui K40x/Manfrotto 410 - bit big and heavy though! Either of Sirui's smaller K20X or K30X would be fine. If you fancy something different then have a look at this head:
http://www.ebay.com …011?hash=item25​af1c2bf3:g (external link):x3QAAOSwxg5XyXZj

It is an all or nothing head, in other words it has only one control for everything! I like this but it might not suit everybody. Also you will need to add a QR clamp - pretty cheap but must be factored in. My RS3 (bought 8/9 years ago) has the best lockup of any ball head that I have tried, including some large and very expensive ones! I can't tell you what is the maximum lens/camera that it is suitable for as my 800 F5.6 L IS + 1 DX are too light and my 4 series Gitzo Systematic is too bendy. Yes read that again - I am serious. Remember though the one single control lever (no independent friction/panning adjustment) is not to everyone's taste.

Just some food for thought?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by gremlin75.

Jul 05, 2017 21:31 |  #3

I'll recommend Feisol as well. I just use my tripod for landscape shooting so small, light, and sturdy were my needs.

I use the Feisol CT-3401 with a Feisol CB-40D ball head (though I did removed the safety latch from the head). Unfortunately the legs alone are pretty close to your price range so the combo puts you over. That said the CB-40D is a nice head but there are less expensive options.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,840 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Jul 05, 2017 23:13 |  #4

I tried to save money a few times.... but in the end, I bought a very nice RRS setup. It cost me a small fortune.... but it's a joy to use. I haven't ever tried something like John's gear, so I have no idea what its weight limitations are. I love the way the leveling base works. For point of reference, not that it matters to this discussion, I have the the long, 3 series tripod.

I alot so much money each year for photo gear... It took me a year to save up the money for the RRS stuff but I am glad I did. I'm now saving up for a 1D X Mark ll. I know I won't be disappointed with it either.... but I won't be able to buy it until Xmas of 2019... seems like a long way away. I'll make due with my 1D IV until then. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 06, 2017 17:29 as a reply to  @ Phoenixkh's post |  #5

I totally agree with you about top quality support - it's well worth the cost to me as well! Here, in the UK, RRS tripods are a no-go due to their very high prices. In the US RRS represent much better value and are superb tripods! A 3 series RRS should be fine for pretty much anything Canon/Nikon currently make:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,326 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tripod for Landscapes, etc.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.