Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 09 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 13:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II or 6D?

Bogino
464 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 09, 2017 13:18 |  #1

If 90%+ of your photography consisted of:

• Landscape
  • Macro Photography
  • Macro Photography in a lowlight setting (i.e. in the rainforest)
  • Wildlife photography in the rainforest (slow moving or near still animals) (in low light conditions off course)

Would there be a "decided" advantage using either the 7D Mark II or the 6D (either the current version or just released 6D Mark II)?

Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,881 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 09, 2017 13:34 |  #2

you already use the 7DII...how are you not able to achieve what you want with your current set-up?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,687 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2017 14:04 |  #3

It depends upon what you term 'macro' photography...

If the 'classical' definition of scaled reproduction (.e.g at 'lifesize' or 1:1)
  • the 6D would permit photographiing a larger subject at lifesize vs. the 7DII photographing only 60% of that same subject at lifesize (24 x 36mm vs. 15 x 22.5mm)...the classic advantage of using larger format for macro work.

If the contemporary unscaled definition of macro, meaning 'fill the frame with the subject'
  • both 6D and 7DII would put the same number of pixels on the 'fill the frame' subject
  • the same lens performance, measured in 'lines of detail resolution per millimeter' of sensor, would favor the FF because to total millimeters translates to more total detail in the frame. If lens can provide 100 line-pairs/millimeter, FF image is capturing 3580 line-pairs vs. APS-C image is capturing 2240 line-pairs from the lens....the APS-C image is lens-limited in performance, while the FF image is pixel-limited in its performance.
  • if the whole-subject image is enlarged to same 8x12" print, the FF image has captured more total detail from the lens

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,866 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 09, 2017 14:06 |  #4

If you are thinking of ditching the 7D2 for the 6D you already own I'd say keep it.
However if you are looking to acquire a 6D I think it's a great FF camera for your intended subjects.
The 6D/7D2 combo is really great.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

WGregge
36 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jun 2017

Jul 11, 2017 10:12 |  #5

I mainly shoot birds and wildlife and I have the canon 7D mark ii and absolutely love it! Great AF system for fast moving birds and easy settings adjustment for taking shots faster.

The air is crowded with birds -- beautiful, tender, intelligent birds -- to whom life is a song. -GEORGE HENRY LEWES

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 11, 2017 10:50 |  #6

Bogino wrote in post #18397944 (external link)
If 90%+ of your photography consisted of:

• Landscape
  • Macro Photography
  • Macro Photography in a lowlight setting (i.e. in the rainforest)
  • Wildlife photography in the rainforest (slow moving or near still animals) (in low light conditions off course)

Would there be a "decided" advantage using either the 7D Mark II or the 6D (either the current version or just released 6D Mark II)?

Thank You.

If you are really going to fill the frame well, and you're going to use shallower DOF, and are shooting faster than f/2.8 a lot, then the 6D will capture a bit more light.

Stopped down, the FF really doesn't have any generic benefit, except that at base ISO, if lighting and stillness allow the longer exposure, allows capture of more total light with the same sensor.

They have about the same read noise at the image level at ISO 100; the 6D gets to a stop better at high ISOs, but 2/3 f that is taken back in equivalence.

For a crop from the 6D2 the size of APS-C, the 6D has less resolution, but a 1/3-stop high-ISO noise benefit. The 7D2 has 2/3 stop DR benefit at ISO 100 compared to a 6D crop.

At f-numbers below 2.8, the larger pixels of the 6D lose less light to microlens compromises, by somewhere around a 1/3 stop less (IIRC) at f/1.4.

The 6D2 has about the same read noise as the 6D at high ISOs, and about 1/2 stop worse at base ISO, if pre-release camera RAWs are the same as official-release cameras.

I own both the 6D and 7D2. I favor the 6D for super-wide, and super-fast f-number shooting. I favor the 7D2 for shooting small birds, as the slightly higher (1/3-stop) extra read noise is offset by more pixels-on-subject and better AF.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,767 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jul 11, 2017 12:23 |  #7

I would see the 6D as a step backwards from the 7D2 on petty much every level. You might get slightly better low light noise IQ, but you would give up all the other aspects that make the 7D2 a better camera.

As for wide angle work, there are a host of nice and affordable 10mm - zoom options that will make the 7D2 able to shoot very wide.

6D in some cases slightly better IQ, and shallower depth of field ( which doesn't make or break your subject matter)

7D2 Better AF, better controls, better speeds, better durability for outdoor weather related use, etc..

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,866 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 11, 2017 20:38 |  #8

Yet still use my 6D about 80% of the time.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Patbil10
353 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 12, 2017 07:13 |  #9

My opinion would steer you towards the 6D as the image quality and low light performance is still ahead of the 7D2.

6D2 would be even better but in a totally different price bracket...

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,348 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 12, 2017 11:54 |  #10

Patbil10 wrote in post #18400178 (external link)
My opinion would steer you towards the 6D as the image quality and low light performance is still ahead of the 7D2.

6D2 would be even better but in a totally different price bracket...

Inside the worlds of equivalence and focal-length-limited photography, the IQ advantage of the 6D drops off. For the latter, focal-length-limited photography, the 7D2 gives 2/3 stops less read noise (more DR) at base ISO, with about 1/4 stops more at high ISOs, and more subject resolution at all ISOs.

You can improve on the focal-length-limited aspect with the 6D with TCs, but the 6D runs into AF inability before the 7D2, even without a TC, and it gets worse *with* a TC. For manual focus, or very fast lenses, then yes, the 6D will pull ahead again for focal-length-limited use, with lower read noise at higher ISOs.

If the 6D2 is on the radar, then it will have better AF than the 6D and allow more TC usability, and put more pixels-on-subject.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 12, 2017 16:16 |  #11

DxO mark Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-versus-Canon-EOS-6D (external link)

I have found that while the 7D2 is good for a crop to have high ISO, the IQ doesn't reach the FF IQ of the 5D3/6D. I use it for situations where I'm using a longer telephoto then what I can frame with FF. For features, the 7D2 is better then the 6D for having a more robust AF, faster fps, and customizable interface.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

1,670 views & 2 likes for this thread
7D Mark II or 6D?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.