Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 16:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,044 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 10, 2019 12:39 |  #31

No the 5d3 is still a good camera and if you can find a good value, you will have a lot of fun with it.

You lose a number of things, but probably not all that important perhaps.

Better low ISO DR
Better high ISO
More resolution
DPAF
Touch screen
Faster SD card slot
Better AF but the 5d3 is no slouch

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
phreeky
Goldmember
3,478 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 11, 2019 23:38 |  #32

I was about to buy a used 5D3, ended up with a new 6D2 for almost the same money. There are certainly some areas where a 5D3 is better than a 6D2, which for me is primarily ergonomics (I'm used to 5D/7D controls, but that's easy to check in-store to see for yourself), however I don't regret my decision one bit.

The 5D4 is a lot of camera, but you pay for it. The 5D3/6D2 price difference would net you some nice glass, and looking at your glass line-up and what you shoot:
- You need wide-standard covered. You mention the 24-70 or 24-105 F/4 IS. The 24-105 can be found super cheap, but the F/4 zooms don't really interest me personally. Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 VC?
- FF without a relatively fast, wide-ish prime just feels like a waste IMO. I use my 35 F/2 IS a LOT - on FF it's just an amazing beast in low-light. The fast 24mm primes appeal to me too, but my wallet say no at the moment.
- If you're even somewhat serious about the animals/wildlife side of things, that 70-300 IS is almost certainly holding you back, especially with FF. 100-400 or 400 prime IMO. FYI a Kenko DGX 1.4x TC behind the 400 prime on the 6D2 and usable AF across all of the points is really surprising, and I expect the 100-400 would be similar.

For astro, do you use an external display for liveview? If you don't have an LCD for that, the articulating screen on the 6D2 is very handy. It's touchscreen with fantastic liveview AF is mind-blowingly good too and shouldn't be underestimated.

All of these options are huge upgrades over the gear you currently have. Even the original 7D is a big upgrade over a 400D, and if you were to stick with APS-C on a tight budget would probably not be a silly idea in itself given how cheap they're going for.

Fireblade2K7
THREAD ­ STARTER
89 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 12, 2019 13:40 |  #33

phreeky wrote in post #18789823 (external link)
I was about to buy a used 5D3, ended up with a new 6D2 for almost the same money. There are certainly some areas where a 5D3 is better than a 6D2, which for me is primarily ergonomics (I'm used to 5D/7D controls, but that's easy to check in-store to see for yourself), however I don't regret my decision one bit.

The 5D4 is a lot of camera, but you pay for it. The 5D3/6D2 price difference would net you some nice glass, and looking at your glass line-up and what you shoot:
- You need wide-standard covered. You mention the 24-70 or 24-105 F/4 IS. The 24-105 can be found super cheap, but the F/4 zooms don't really interest me personally. Tamron 24-70 F/2.8 VC?
- FF without a relatively fast, wide-ish prime just feels like a waste IMO. I use my 35 F/2 IS a LOT - on FF it's just an amazing beast in low-light. The fast 24mm primes appeal to me too, but my wallet say no at the moment.
- If you're even somewhat serious about the animals/wildlife side of things, that 70-300 IS is almost certainly holding you back, especially with FF. 100-400 or 400 prime IMO. FYI a Kenko DGX 1.4x TC behind the 400 prime on the 6D2 and usable AF across all of the points is really surprising, and I expect the 100-400 would be similar.

For astro, do you use an external display for liveview? If you don't have an LCD for that, the articulating screen on the 6D2 is very handy. It's touchscreen with fantastic liveview AF is mind-blowingly good too and shouldn't be underestimated.

All of these options are huge upgrades over the gear you currently have. Even the original 7D is a big upgrade over a 400D, and if you were to stick with APS-C on a tight budget would probably not be a silly idea in itself given how cheap they're going for.

Many thanks for the info and I have been looking at the 6D2's however what I keep reading is that it has very poor dynamic range however when looking at this information on places like DxOMark the dynamic range of the 6D2 appears to be 0.2 higher than that of the 5D3 so it all appears to be swings and round abouts, its just all making the decision so difficult at the moment.

Canon EOS 400D + BG-E3 Battery Grip
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 MkII
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

elitejp
Goldmember
1,670 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2019 16:52 |  #34

From my understanding only the 5d4 made significant improvements in dynamic range. The 6d,6d2,and 5d3 were all noticeably less than what nikon was currently offering at the time. But in canon world all three of those cameras (6d,6d2,5d3)were roughly the same. The issue of DR mainly became a topic of conversation because sony sensors made such an improvement in this area.

So out of all the canon cameras the only one that i truly see standing out and really improving in all areas is the 5d4. However, this is my 2 cents on the subject. I would seriously consider the original 6d with the saved money going to glass. Ive seen the 6d sell for 550 usd where im located. You can use it and see if you like it or still need to upgrade. If you dont feel the 6d is enough of a camera then go directly to the 5d4 and sell the 6d. You shouldnt have much if any financial loss yet you could save quite a bit.

For me the original 6d is perfectly good for what i shoot. No one can tell the difference in picture iq with these cameras. The main difference is now how easy is it for you to capture these pictures such af points, af speed,fps etc or other extras such as dual card slots that would be necessary for wedding photogs.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

phreeky
Goldmember
3,478 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 12, 2019 19:29 |  #35

I really don't understand the dual card slot obsession. Yeah sure for pros, or more importantly pros doing weddings/events, but way too many hobbiests seem to consider it. Are SD cards that bad?

Regarding the 6D/6D2/5D3 choice, the 6D might win out for DR which is great if you're a ISO100 shooter, but my understanding is that the 6D2 sensor otherwise comes out on top. Better high ISO noise + DR and more pixels.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,670 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 12, 2019 20:17 |  #36

They are all fairly equal thats why i would just save the money and get a 6d unless another body really has something that you really want. The 6d is the best bang for your buck in this situation.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,091 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 days ago by Wilt.

Jan 12, 2019 22:56 |  #37

phreeky wrote in post #18790382 (external link)
I really don't understand the dual card slot obsession. Yeah sure for pros, or more importantly pros doing weddings/events, but way too many hobbiests seem to consider it. Are SD cards that bad?

I comprehend the 'I have to deliver photos, so I cannot afford to lose photos due to memory card loss or failure.' sentiment.
OTOH, how many folks are paranoid about losing data in a PC because it was written only once in an SSD, and not duplicated automatically in a second SSD or harddrive as it was stored the first time ?! as the cause of their paranoia?

Do they think we film wedding shooters had the luxury of photos going onto two rolls of film at the same time?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

elitejp
Goldmember
1,670 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 13, 2019 00:57 |  #38

Nobody is shooting weddings with film anymore so thats not really a point that needs bringing up.

Im sure professionals are backing up their photos on seperate hard drives and/or erasing the photos they dont need.
As for hobbyest they may or may not be making backups but i dont think anyone doesnt recommend to do so.

You dont have to wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle either but that doesnt mean its a good idea

sponsored links

4,883 views & 4 likes for this thread
Canon 400D Upgrade To What..?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.