Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 03 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 08:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where do you get your models?

StanNJ1
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by StanNJ1.

Aug 03, 2017 08:15 |  #1

I often have ideas for shoots that I want to try and almost always struggle to find models willing to trade their time for images. I shoot mainly for my love of photography and lighting so I would rather not have to pay a model.

I've tried Model Mayhem but that has never worked out. And I think they are charging monthly now if you want replies to your casting calls.

I have also tried Facebook and reached out to a local modeling agency with disappointing results.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Stan
www.stansphotos.com (external link)

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

sponsored links
01Ryan10
Goldmember
1,035 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Aug 03, 2017 18:18 |  #2

It is increasingly tough when starting out. Your best option are friends and family. You've got to be realistic too. You're not going to get a gorgeous model to do TFP. You'll need to start at the bottom of the barrel so to speak. You have to work up your portfolio with models that have little to no experience.

With that said, I've offered $50 for 2 hour modeling sessions and had an overwhelming response of models willing to shoot at that rate. The good ones won't work for free, but sheesh, they'll jump on $25/hour gigs. I've paid a handful of times for models, and I've made my money back easily with leads from those models to friends that want shoots.

Looking at your website, you know how to shoot. You've got great images with great lighting; however, most of the people shots I see on your website look like pictures for grandma, (smiling and looking at camera). Again, a lot of models will see your style and pass.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

paintedlotus
356 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Aug 03, 2017 18:54 |  #3

^that. You have some decent technical skill, but the style seems a bit dated, so many models probably wouldn't be interested except for pay. I mean sure, most people would "rather not pay" but you have to start somewhere, right? :)

Hiring a pro really is a good investment if you're serious about improving your portfolio and doing more model work (hopefully as unpaid tests down the road). They look better in front of the camera because they know how to move their bodies and faces for good angles, which in turn teaches you a lot about direction with posing; when money is involved, people are most of the time FAR more motivated to actually show up; they can almost always do their own hair and makeup so you don't have to hire extra people for that; they often have a decent selection of wardrobe; and ultimately they just make you look like a better photographer.

That said, please note that there is a huge difference between hiring a professional model with a good portfolio, and paying some random hot girl with barely any experience.... a HUGE difference.

Ultimately in order to work with models without having to pay them you need to get your portfolio to a place where a model (or agency) believes you have something of value to offer their book. Take a look at the boards of model agencies and try to do some work like what you see there. A lot (but not all) is natural light, boosted or lowered contrast, good connection with the camera, and neutral but not bitchy facial expressions highlighting a model's natural beauty.

Also, keep going with the friends & family angle. Hope this helps.

Website (external link)

beauty, fashion, model tests, portraits

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,746 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 04, 2017 07:11 |  #4

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18418655 (external link)
Looking at your website, you know how to shoot. You've got great images with great lighting; however, most of the people shots I see on your website look like pictures for grandma, (smiling and looking at camera). Again, a lot of models will see your style and pass.

I appreciate your candidness and unfortunately I have to agree with you. This is why I need to shoot more.

paintedlotus wrote in post #18418675 (external link)
You have some decent technical skill, but the style seems a bit dated, so many models probably wouldn't be interested except for pay.
Hiring a pro really is a good investment if you're serious about improving your portfolio and doing more model work (hopefully as unpaid tests down the road). They look better in front of the camera because they know how to move their bodies and faces for good angles, which in turn teaches you a lot about direction with posing; when money is involved, people are most of the time FAR more motivated to actually show up; they can almost always do their own hair and makeup so you don't have to hire extra people for that; they often have a decent selection of wardrobe; and ultimately they just make you look like a better photographer.

That said, please note that there is a huge difference between hiring a professional model with a good portfolio, and paying some random hot girl with barely any experience.... a HUGE difference.

Ultimately in order to work with models without having to pay them you need to get your portfolio to a place where a model (or agency) believes you have something of value to offer their book. Take a look at the boards of model agencies and try to do some work like what you see there. A lot (but not all) is natural light, boosted or lowered contrast, good connection with the camera, and neutral but not bitchy facial expressions highlighting a model's natural beauty.

Also, keep going with the friends & family angle. Hope this helps.

Some great advice you offered, thank you. And I checked out your work. Very impressive!

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

albemarledesigner
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2017 17:03 |  #5

Family and friends are a good place to start. I have found co-workers to be good, depending on what you're wanting to shoot. If you're wanting to shoot G&N type stuff, your best bet is to bite the bullet at hire a pro model. When you first start out shooting this genre, it is well worth the expense.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,476 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 24, 2017 01:22 |  #6

StanNJ1 wrote in post #18418181 (external link)
I often have ideas for shoots that I want to try and almost always struggle to find models willing to trade their time for images. I shoot mainly for my love of photography and lighting so I would rather not have to pay a model.

I've tried Model Mayhem but that has never worked out. And I think they are charging monthly now if you want replies to your casting calls.

I have also tried Facebook and reached out to a local modeling agency with disappointing results.

Stan

Hi Stan!

I grok. That said...

MM.

Top membership level at MM is $100/yr. I look at what you've included in your sig. You'd have to be a member of MM for five years to trade off the cost of a 600EX-RT. When you consider the 1Ds, the Ls, Einsteins, et al, it's like buying a really nice car and deciding gasoline is too expensive.

On paying models, again, if you're paying $50/hr for a couple hours to get the shots you want, this is in the realm of, "Look at this. I've spent well into 5 figures for photo gear. Isn't that great?! $100 for a model? Are you kidding me?! I'm not paying all of that!"

My Models.

MM has over 1M people on it. Of course not that many are active, but there are enough who are. I get my models from there, almost exclusively. Additionally, most of the work I've done has been TFP, trade for pictures. Regardless, the good models that charge are worth the money. Besides, what a resource is MM! Link is below for my page. Additionally, you are just outside of NYC. I'm jealous!

https://www.modelmayhe​m.com/grahamglover (external link)

I also have a 24/7 model, Aerin. While it's more difficult to find human-like mannequins today, with wig and dress, she was about $200. For experimentation, the return on investment is extraordinary. She stands still, she's patient, she doesn't text, and she doesn't have 17 grandmothers who passed away over the last 3 months. Getting her on the High Line was fun. Michael Kors dress. ;)

http://grahamglover.ze​nfolio.com/p627290396 (external link)

In closing, finding people to photograph is challenging. Even with my work on MM, I struggle to connect with models. No matter, it can be as much of an art and a challenge as photography itself. Money helps but it isn't always enough. You need good work, which you really do have. You need to find a way to connect with the models. It takes time. Maybe MM isn't going to get you what you want, but spending a little bit of money to get models when you have some high end equipment seems like the proverbial no brainer.

Hope this helps!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

silvermesa1
123 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 03, 2018 06:13 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #7

"I also have a 24/7 model, Aerin."

Having an available model always, seems like a great idea foir practice. She looks very lifelike as well. Where do you purchase these?

Cham_001
875 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 03, 2018 12:37 |  #8

StanNJ1 wrote in post #18418181 (external link)

Stan

---

Hi Stan,

Try this site:
https://www.modelmanag​ement.com/model-images/ (external link)

Normally, when my associates book me in to assist them on their shoots - they always ask first at the Hotel that is booked for us.
So, when I stay in Varna/Ruse, Bulgaria - we already have direct contact details of 'selected' models.

Normally, the Hotel(s) refuse us doing shoots in the rooms - which is normal and no problem. They do allow us to shoot-on-location in the grounds.
Also, the models themselves bring a companion to ensure we pay and that they are safe from harm.
Prices (booked directly with the model) are really reasonable €75.00 --> €200.00 per day, per model - normally for a 4-6 hour shoot.

For Brazil, the same, the Hotel provides us a list of known Models who we contact directly.
However, here in can be very dangerous to use Agencies & 'middle-men' that you do not know.
(Personal Assaults on 'togs' visibly carrying around expensive kit - makes an appealing target and has happened).

India, here it is totally safe (free from life-threatening dangers), however, our experiences with using the Agencies there are negative.
Basically, the Agency quotes you one reasonable price and then sends you a 'different model' to the one you requested - who is just not good-enough.
The Agency knows that we are pressed for time, so they organise the second (original choice or better one) at additional expense to us! so we are double-charged.
Regardless, the total costs of eventually getting any 'decent-looking' models remains affordable ranging from:
€75.00 per day (4-6 hour shoot) - clothed!
€125.00 per day (4-6 hour shoot) - bikini/lingerie/scanti​ly-clad
€200.00+ per day ---> 'crazy-amounts' - for known models/lesser actresses etc.

In my experience, doing the 'deal' via the hotel has always been the easiest and cheapest option. Also, the model herself prefers this arrangement.

"... with a clear perspective - the confusion is clearer ..."
Body: Canon 5D-IV
Lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Flashguns: 580ex II x 4, MT24 macro flash
Accessories: Pkt Wiz TT5 x 4, AC3, MiniTT1, Sekonic L-758DR
Studio Lights: <... pending ...>

mathogre
Goldmember
3,476 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 03, 2018 20:32 |  #9

silvermesa1 wrote in post #18555284 (external link)
"I also have a 24/7 model, Aerin."

Having an available model always, seems like a great idea foir practice. She looks very lifelike as well. Where do you purchase these?

I bought the mannequin from Displays2Go about 6 years ago. The wig came from Best Wig Outlet. Dresses came from Chadwicks, Target, and a local consignment shop. Displays2Go had a better selection years ago, and there are other places to get lifelike mannequins. Best Wig Outlet has nice wigs where you don't have to pay a lot. Chadwicks is fine. Target has a few very pleasant surprises. The local consignment shop has had designer dresses at great prices. Again, the mannequin, wig, and a dress can be purchased for $200. She also has my wife and daughter's cast-off shoes. A couple times she stole my sunglasses... Hmmm...

https://www.displays2g​o.com/Search?q=mannequ​ins (external link)
https://www.bestwigout​let.com (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Gungnir
682 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 06, 2018 03:55 |  #10

Students.

Most will need a headshot at least for CV to trade for time posing.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

sponsored links

4,151 views & 4 likes for this thread
Where do you get your models?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.