Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 26 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your favorite two-camera body combination?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,604 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Bassat. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2018 22:02 |  #76

HannahsDad wrote in post #18574099 (external link)
=Hannah'sDad;18574099]​I wrote and re-wrote several replies and then deleted them. Your condescending tone with regard to my purchases was enough. How I spend my money now is my decision and mine only. The original title of the thread was "What is your favorite two-camera body combination?" and I thought I answered that. With regard to your final question, the filter holder is about $350 and each filter is 180mmx180mm and runs $300-$400. Since I already have a heavy investment in 100mm Lee filters, I just didn't see the purpose of adding more filters or carrying more filters. Enough said on this.....

Almost. I will assume you've spent enough time using electronic forms of communication to know there is no way to imply tone or intent from written words. It is not possible. Period. Your assumption of any tone at all, let alone a condescending one, is just that: an assumption. Nobody ever made any suggestion about what you should or should not do with your money. What I did point out was the dichotomy of a huge expense on one hand, while claiming a relatively small one is too expensive. I apologize if you can't see the humor in that.

Your situation is humorous to me, because I can see myself in it. A few years ago, I was shooting a 60D. I wanted a full frame camera. After much internal debate of 5D3 vs 6D, I ended up with a 6D. Then the AI-Servo AF of the 6D was insufficient for my needs. Then I spent money upgrading my 60D to 70D to 80D. Then I bought a 1D3, then 1D4. Somewhere along the way, a POTN member (TeamSpeed?) pointed out that I would have spent LESS MONEY had I just bought a 5D3 in the first place. True. Very true.

I've got about $15k worth of camera gear in my closet, and have bought and sold at least that much more that I no longer own. I'm sure you'd find it amusing to note the days internal debate I just went through before buying a set of 58mm Tiffen ND filters ($72) to use on my new $30 FX-D.

In case you haven't come to this conclusion on your own, I was laughing with you in the first quote/reply, not at you. Lighten up; you'll live longer.

Tom

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,604 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 27, 2018 22:18 |  #77

eddieb1 wrote in post #18574133 (external link)
Looks like Bass touched a nerve. ߘ

Agreed.

Implying tone from the written word, without benefit of facial expressions or voice inflections, is a trap we all fall into from time to time. It happens to the best of us.

If you post a photo, and I reply, "Love it. Keep up the good work!" you'd likely assume that I was being truthful. Had you SEEN me say the same thing, and noticed my rolling eyes, and over-emphasis on the word 'good', you'd think something different completely. There is no tone in written words. Period, complete stop, end of sentence.

Everyone makes value judgements about every purchase they make. I NEEDED my Sigma 24mm f/1.4Art! I NEEDED my 100-400L. Both those purchases were easy and I didn't think anything of spending that pile of money. I recently agonized for several days over whether or not to buy a $72 set of ND filters for my 'new' Yashica FX-D and lenses. $800? Done! $1700? Done. Let me worry about a $72 purchase for 3 days, though. THAT is funny.

I found the similarity of my recent situation to Hannah'sDad's post humorous. He, obviously, did not. That is in his pocket, not mine.

Tom

Hannah'sDad
140 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by Hannah'sDad.

Feb 28, 2018 07:50 |  #78

Bassat wrote in post #18574134 (external link)
Almost. I will assume you've spent enough time using electronic forms of communication to know there is no way to imply tone or intent from written words. It is not possible. Period. Your assumption of any tone at all, let alone a condescending one, is just that: an assumption. Nobody ever made any suggestion about what you should or should not do with your money. What I did point out was the dichotomy of a huge expense on one hand, while claiming a relatively small one is too expensive. I apologize if you can't see the humor in that.

Your situation is humorous to me, because I can see myself in it. A few years ago, I was shooting a 60D. I wanted a full frame camera. After much internal debate of 5D3 vs 6D, I ended up with a 6D. Then the AI-Servo AF of the 6D was insufficient for my needs. Then I spent money upgrading my 60D to 70D to 80D. Then I bought a 1D3, then 1D4. Somewhere along the way, a POTN member (TeamSpeed?) pointed out that I would have spent LESS MONEY had I just bought a 5D3 in the first place. True. Very true.

I've got about $15k worth of camera gear in my closet, and have bought and sold at least that much more that I no longer own. I'm sure you'd find it amusing to note the days internal debate I just went through before buying a set of 58mm Tiffen ND filters ($72) to use on my new $30 FX-D.

In case you haven't come to this conclusion on your own, I was laughing with you in the first quote/reply, not at you. Lighten up; you'll live longer.

Bassat wrote in post #18574141 (external link)
Agreed.

Implying tone from the written word, without benefit of facial expressions or voice inflections, is a trap we all fall into from time to time. It happens to the best of us.

If you post a photo, and I reply, "Love it. Keep up the good work!" you'd likely assume that I was being truthful. Had you SEEN me say the same thing, and noticed my rolling eyes, and over-emphasis on the word 'good', you'd think something different completely. There is no tone in written words. Period, complete stop, end of sentence.

Everyone makes value judgements about every purchase they make. I NEEDED my Sigma 24mm f/1.4Art! I NEEDED my 100-400L. Both those purchases were easy and I didn't think anything of spending that pile of money. I recently agonized for several days over whether or not to buy a $72 set of ND filters for my 'new' Yashica FX-D and lenses. $800? Done! $1700? Done. Let me worry about a $72 purchase for 3 days, though. THAT is funny.

I found the similarity of my recent situation to Hannah'sDad's post humorous. He, obviously, did not. That is in his pocket, not mine.

You are probably correct here. I did assume that is was a condescending tone, without the ability to see facial expressions or hear the spoken word. I would like to retract that statement. It was a long day yesterday, and yes, unfortunately, the post you made, with the underlines in my equipment list led me to believe something that apparently wasn't correct. I have been extremely fortunate over the years to be able to be in a place where I can purchase high-end professional gear for just a hobby. I suppose I took your post a little too seriously. Please accept my apology. I too have debated spending a few bucks on something that I want (but don't really need), when I had no issues buying that 600mm lens. I now see the humor in your post and fully agree. It is funny how we spend our money and what we find necessary and what we find to be frivolous. I think we can end this "argument" between two grown and retired men and accept the fact that we have nice stuff and enjoy using it.

Scott
Canon 5D Mark IV Gripped x 2, Canon "L" EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, Canon "L" EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, Canon "L" 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM, Canon "L" 200mm-400mm f/4 EXT, Canon "L" EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM, EF 1.4X III Extender (x2), EF 2X III, plus various other tripods, filters and bags

Eric ­ Hopp
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2017

Mar 01, 2018 10:44 |  #79

When I originally started this post, I was shooting with a couple of 40Ds. Since then, I've upgraded to a 6D / 7D combination. I'm liking it. As a two-camera setup, I can attach an EF 24-105mm f4L on my 6D, and an EF 70-200mm f4L on my 7D for full coverage. Or I can use the EF 100-400mm L lens on the 7D for bird shooting. There is a lot of adaptation you can do on lens coverage with a full-frame and crop camera combination.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 01, 2018 12:59 |  #80

My past 2 body combo was the 50D and the 5D classic.

My current 2 body combo is the 1D Mark 4 and the 6D.

My fantasy 2 body combo is a 5D Mark 4 and whatever the flagship Hassy is.
(not that I think a 5D4 is all that special, but it is the Canon DSLR that I would want the most, and my lenses are all native Canon)

Goodform wrote in post #18452163 (external link)
There seems to be a lot of you who are rocking full frame bodies with backup crop frames. I always thought you'd want to keep main/backup bodies with similar sensor sizes to better interchange lenses. Is that not the case? Or is it more desirable for most to use differing sensor sizes in order to create different effects with the same lens?

For me, I want two bodies that are each better at certain things.

That way, when a deer is running around chasing does, or when a bird takes flight, I have a "fast" body that is adept at tracking and capturing fast moving subjects.

And then when the deer calms down and tends to his mate, or when the bird perches in the branches, or when I see a landscape scene that is particularly striking. I will have a body that provides optimum image quality, at the expense of speed ...... because I don't need speed for the subjects when they are stationary.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
12,620 posts
Gallery: 249 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 02, 2018 10:23 |  #81

Dual 1DX's...

:)

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 02, 2018 16:55 |  #82

i started out many moons ago with and AE-1 and i added a F1-n...

i generally carried all my lenses with me but the one of them would wear the 35 f2, the other my 85 f1.8. the kit also had a 24mm f2, 50mm f1.8 and 200mm f2.8...

i did one part of one gig with my 5D3 and my wife's T2i. mostly because i needed her 10-22mm f3.5(?) since i didnt have anything that wide for the full frame...

i just recently added a 5D4 to the 5D3 both are gripped. my lens kit consists now of a 50mm f1.4, 24-70mm f2.8L II and a 70-200 f2.8L I. im really not sure how im going to jockey both of these bodies simultaneously but i mostly shoot sports so one will have the 70-200 and one the 24-70 for the game and the crowd respectively...

sponsored links

7,165 views & 78 likes for this thread
What is your favorite two-camera body combination?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.