Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 18 Sep 2017 (Monday) 12:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SSD for editing then move to HDD?

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,963 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 07, 2018 23:13 |  #16

Archibald wrote in post #18535976 (external link)
Maybe your comparison is right, but the difference when working in LR is inconsequential.

Not sure if you just misunderstood/misread my post (or just disagree) but the difference (in relation to placement of the catalog and previews) isn't inconsequential.

Original RAW placement on HDD vs SSD = inconsequential
Catalog and previews placement on HDD vs SSD = speed improvement.

At least that is the result on my system.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,229 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2018 23:15 |  #17

When it comes to USB 3 media readers, I have found they can be significantly faster, and I've never had corrupt files myself. When it comes to updating a conventional HD to SSD, it's pretty easy now. You can get USB 3 adapters to plug a new SSD to USB 3, then mirror your current main HD to the SSD, then install and make it your main drive.

I also mirror other responses that the OS and apps installed on a SSD are the main speed advantage. I've got one laptop that has a 250GB SSD and 750GB HD. With it, I have my apps and OS on the SSD: and try to have 80GB free for cache/swap files. I keep my Lightroom catalogues in the default directory, and my RAWs stay on the HD (I've always tried keeping my HDs 7200 RPM). If the program in question is Lightroom, I think another potential slowdown is how big your catalogue is. I've heard folks complain about things really slowing down when they have really large catalogues. I'll create new catalogues for each "roll" of images I have.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,404 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 08, 2018 09:10 |  #18

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18536017 (external link)
Not sure if you just misunderstood/misread my post (or just disagree) but the difference (in relation to placement of the catalog and previews) isn't inconsequential.

At least you tried it and can speak from experience. :-) (Most just theorize.) I also tried it, tested it for 3 months, and found no noticible difference.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

alex66
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 10, 2018 05:15 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #19

I start a new LR catalogue each year and do find by the time it gets over 250GB or so it will start to be a bit slower. I did run one with everything on and it made it very slow. It does stand to reason though as the Cat file will be having to deal with more data points so smaller gives it less work to do. When I upgraded to a USB3 reader (Transend) I noticed a significant improvement in import speed, I did replace it with a Lexar reader but that was for it sitting better on the desk.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

alex66
220 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 10, 2018 05:17 |  #20

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18536017 (external link)

I found the same, I did have the current year on an SSD but found no real drop in speed when the images were swapped over to a 7200rpm drive, the catalogue file does seem to work better on an SSD especially towards the end of year when it is larger.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,627 views & 2 likes for this thread
SSD for editing then move to HDD?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.