Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 24 Sep 2017 (Sunday) 08:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best alternative to WD Wireless Pro

the.forumer
412 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Sep 24, 2017 08:07 |  #1

I owned the 1st version of the WD My Passport Wireless for transferring of images on the field to my 1TB drive, but it was super slow and the battery was abysmal.

I understand that they came out with the 2nd version last year, but the transfer speeds are still not ideal and it's still using usb3.0 instead of 3.1v2/USB-C.

any recommendations?

sponsored links
the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 07, 2018 07:13 |  #2

anyone knows?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 7 months ago by John from PA.

Apr 07, 2018 19:38 |  #3

Check the WD best practices and see if it helps.

https://support.wdc.co​m …base/answer.asp​x?ID=14195 (external link)

I's also suggest you check https://support.wdc.co​m …base/answer.asp​x?ID=18626 (external link)

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,783 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2018 15:24 |  #4

Wait a minute, you need to be realistic. USB3.0 is 5Gb/s, 3.1 is 10Gb/s. What is the state of the art wireless router doing on a single stream? max claimed limit is 1.3Gb/s, and they are on 120V AC consuming 50W of power. It will be a long time before a battery operated wifi device to offer similar speed as USB3.0. The reality is if you need speed, you need power or/and wired connection. When lack of power, wire is the only options.

Since you already have the WD wifi passport, enjoy it. Personally at 1TB capacity, I won't consider wifi is an option to begin with.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 16, 2018 14:41 |  #5

the.forumer wrote in post #18601811 (external link)
anyone knows?

Gnarbox 2.0. But it won’t be available till December.

https://www.kickstarte​r.com …kup-device-for-your-camer (external link)

From what I understand the WD wireless pro is quite a bit faster then the original for transferring off of sd cards (10MB/s on the orginal vs 65MB/s on the pro and pro ssd). But both the pro and pro ssd still just have usb 3.0 where the gnarbox 2.0 will have two usd-c ports.

Or there’s devices like re Sanho storage drive

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …2lhAAJ5Hl7cBoCD​t4QAvD_BwE (external link)

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 20, 2018 22:41 |  #6

gremlin75 wrote in post #18608015 (external link)

From what I understand the WD wireless pro is quite a bit faster then the original for transferring off of sd cards (10MB/s on the orginal vs 65MB/s on the pro and pro ssd). But both the pro and pro ssd still just have usb 3.0 where the gnarbox 2.0 will have two usd-c ports.

i'm looking for a cheaper alternative that does not come with streaming features. Basically, I just need the hard drive integrated with the SD card reader for on-the-go backups. any other suggestions? usb3.0 is fine too, as long as transfer speeds are >60MB/s.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 21, 2018 16:07 |  #7

the.forumer wrote in post #18610638 (external link)
i'm looking for a cheaper alternative that does not come with streaming features. Basically, I just need the hard drive integrated with the SD card reader for on-the-go backups. any other suggestions? usb3.0 is fine too, as long as transfer speeds are >60MB/s.

Western Digital IS the cheaper option. The only other options are far more expensive.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by gremlin75. (2 edits in all)

Apr 22, 2018 20:48 |  #8

So this same topic came up on the Fuji x forum and someone suggested the Ravpower Filehub Plus (https://www.amazon.com …age_o00_s00?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link))

It's not a backup drive itself but can be used to back up SD cards. It's kind of weird but from the research Ive done basically you can plug an external drive or thumb drive into it and, using the App, you can transfer the files from an SD card onto the connected drive.

I have a spare 1TB drive sitting around so I figured I'd spend the $40 and try it out on my trip to Zion next week. If you want I can let you know how it goes.

The down side is I can not find info on how quick transfer speeds are and some people say it works great while others say its trash. The other down side is it seems the phone has to stay open during the transfer so it's not quite a plug and go option like the WD or Gnarbox.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 25, 2018 18:39 |  #9

Just a quick update. I got the Filehub plus in yesterday. I hooked an external drive up to it and transferred 6.4GB of photos (raw and jpg) from an SD card to the external hard drive....it took 20 minutes to complete the transfer. This is after connecting to the hubs Wifi, opening the app, waiting for it to read the attached storage (SD and USB), selecting all the files from the SD card, and choosing to copy them to the external HDD. So another few minutes to set up the transfer. That same 6.4GB took 1 minute to import into Lightroom from both the SD card and the external drive. I then took 10 more photos on the same card and did tested just selecting all photos on the card (including the ones that where already on the HDD) to test how it would treat duplicate files. It stated the transfer and easily, but slowly, transferred the new files then the app asked if I wanted to overwrite the duplicate files. I clicked no and the app said the transfer failed. Checking the HDD all the files that should have been on it were there so the transfer did work. In the end the file hub plus is not a great option to back up in the field. Is it useable? Yes, but so very slow

So being unhappy with the Filehub plus I broke down and got a WD My Passport Wireless Pro today. The difference between it and the Filehub plus are huge. Using the app I set the WD to automatically import when the SD card is inserted and there is an option to only back up new files. Once I was done setting up the drive (only has to be done once) I tested out the transfer speed using the same card I tested the filehub with (which still had the extra files on it so it was now at 7GB instead go 6.4GB). After inserting the card the drive began the transfer a coupe seconds late and was done in under 2 minutes. I took 10 more photos and put the card into the WD drive. It stated the transfer but took about a minute to transfer the new files. So seems like its slower to do incremental transfer then to just dump a while card at one. Also it creates new folder on the drive for each import. So the new files were in a different folder then the first import. That is one down side to it compared to the Filehub. On the file hub and can make folders and trandsfer files to what ever folder you want.

Still the WD is WAY faster then the filehub, is just plug and play in that it doesn't require me to use an App to find, copy, and transfer the files, and can do incremental transfers.

Also one that I was pleasantly surprised about with the WD was that the My cloud app WILL render previews for RAW files. I had read that it would not but when I connected to the drive there were previews of the raw and jpg files. Im not sure if its because I was shooting raw+jpg that it had previews so I'll have to do more testing on that. If it doesn't need a jpg file for the preview then all the better as I normally don't shoot raw+jpg.

Once last thing, I am a Lightroom using so I have Lightroom mobile on my phone as well as Snapseed. Both the Filehub and the WD will allow you to open (copy) files in either program on your mobile device.

So the Filehub is going back and I'm keeping the WD. It's not perfect but it does what I need and is a much faster option

the.forumer
THREAD ­ STARTER
412 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 29, 2018 23:12 as a reply to  @ gremlin75's post |  #10

odd that it's still quite slow on the WD Pro. 7Gb in 20mins = 5MBps only.

Could it be that the Filehub was on USB2.0 by the way?

minsoochoiphoto
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 09, 2018 01:34 |  #11

gnarbox 2.0 sounds like a fantastic idea. I am amazed that other storage manufacturers do not attempt to make a similar product.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 09, 2018 12:47 |  #12

gremlin75 wrote in post #18608015 (external link)

Hmmm...For pledge of $249 or more I get a GNARBOX 2.0 SSD with a 128GB capacity. How many relatively high end SD cards can I buy for $249. At the moment Best Buy has a 32 GB Extreme Pro card for $30. $249/32 = 8; one for each day of the week plus a spare should you chose to shoot that way.

minsoochoiphoto
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 10, 2018 08:34 |  #13

It’s the ability to backup the files and start the post-process immediately after the shot without a laptop. To some, that’s worth the premium. ✌️

sponsored links

3,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best alternative to WD Wireless Pro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.