Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 18:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,378 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Dec 24, 2017 00:01 |  #211

I find the comparisons at this level of cameras is just nitpicking in regards to IQ.

Online reviewers and trolls will single out a few things and beat that to death, rather than look at things that really matter.

IQ in the real world is so close it's ridiculous. If you need more than a stop or two of DR regularly outside of landscape or realestate photography then you really should be looking at your skills and not the camera.

I think the tech is so good now that people have got lazy and do not invest time into studying actual photography outside of clicking the shutter and raising shadows and lowering highlights on Lightroom or whatever.

I think the more important question is reliability, lens selection, total cost of ownership and so on.

I'm not dissing any camera, I like canon because I am used to it, they have never failed me and I like how the images look in raw straight of the camera. Plus I like the lenses. A nikon shooter could say the same thing and no one would be wrong.

I can't see how you could go wrong with either camera.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2017 01:22 |  #212

George Zip wrote in post #18525173 (external link)
I find the comparisons at this level of cameras is just nitpicking in regards to IQ.

I think the more important question is reliability, lens selection, total cost of ownership and so on.

You are right, George. . The differences in high ISO performance and in dynamic range between these two models just aren't important, and will not make a difference in one's photography. . Yet, it seems that many gearhead types make gear decisions based on these almost meaningless factors. . It is odd indeed.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Canon-Chas
224 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by Canon-Chas.

Dec 24, 2017 04:09 as a reply to  @ post 18525171 |  #213

I'm looking at a 4k monitor George, zoomed in to 200% My 1dx can handle double the 5d mk4 noise. I've no doubt the D850 can double my 1DX's noise handling according to my friend who has one. Fast moving wildlife in poor light especially in Scotland is very challenging, hence the need for higher ISO levels, it's either that or blurred images.

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2017 05:51 |  #214

Like I always say, don't go by other people's reviews. It's up to you to take the first step. It took me a week to decide between Canon and Nikon. I went to the camera store and tested both out in the store. I bought memory cards that would work in the different media slots for each camera. Then I took them home and looked at my results.

One thing I noticed was the Nikon buttons were in a more confined place. Coming from a Pentax k1000 35mm, at first I thought that was a positive. But looking at the pictures I could tell I was having issues holding the Nikon. I have long fingers so that made a big difference.

The Canon had a much louder mirror clunk than the Nikon but in the end I chose Canon mainly for how comfortable it felt in my hands.

The sales guy tried to push the more expensive Canon 1d on me. That usually turns me off.

Later that night I was comparing prices online and I found a Canon 300d on eBay for $300 cheaper than the store had it. And it came with an extra battery and a 4gb memory card.

I had issues with it and had to send it back for a replacement and ended up with a 300d and a 350d. Long story and I believe I've already told it here a while ago. :-)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,378 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Dec 24, 2017 06:09 |  #215

Canon-Chas wrote in post #18525213 (external link)
I'm looking at a 4k monitor George, zoomed in to 200% My 1dx can handle double the 5d mk4 noise. I've no doubt the D850 can double my 1DX's noise handling according to my friend who has one. Fast moving wildlife in poor light especially in Scotland is very challenging, hence the need for higher ISO levels, it's either that or blurred images.

I get that. The question I ask is why Zoom in at 200%? I don't understand what the practical reason is for that... unless you are making a billboard or something.

I'm not being argumentative. All I meant was when I print files from the 5d4 at high ISO's 3200, 6400 even 12800.... providing the light is nice light these look pretty amazing to me.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,520 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 24, 2017 06:16 |  #216

from every comparison I have seen between the two, normalized to the same size and shot identically, they have all been very close. I have never seen the 5d4 come out being twice as bad as the 1dx.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Canon-Chas
224 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by Canon-Chas. (2 edits in all)

Dec 24, 2017 08:18 as a reply to  @ George Zip's post |  #217

Its probably me just being too fussy with my images :-)

Here's a screen shot (RAW @100%) of my previous image before noise reduction or any alterations, perhaps more pixels means more noise?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Chas

Canon-Chas
224 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 24, 2017 08:44 |  #218

Here's a good comparison D850 V 5D MKIV , which rates the D850 #1 and 5D MK IV #8

http://cameradecision.​com …-5D-Mark-IV-vs-Nikon-D850 (external link)

Chas

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,322 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2017 09:04 |  #219

Canon-Chas wrote in post #18525295 (external link)
Here's a good comparison D850 V 5D MKIV , which rates the D850 #1 and 5D MK IV #8

http://cameradecision.​com …-5D-Mark-IV-vs-Nikon-D850 (external link)

Considering the cameras were released almost 12 months apart tells me that there will be significant differences between the 2.

Here's the site I use.
https://www.dpreview.c​om …dmkiv&products=​nikon_d850 (external link)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 10 months ago by Scoobert.

Dec 24, 2017 09:48 |  #220

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18525194 (external link)
You are right, George. . The differences in high ISO performance and in dynamic range between these two models just aren't important, and will not make a difference in one's photography. . Yet, it seems that many gearhead types make gear decisions based on these almost meaningless factors. . It is odd indeed.

It seems as you can accept no answer that does not come up with the Canon.

The D850 is better than the 5div in almost every single way, heck the day it was released the 5div was behind the two year old D810 in several important areas. Yet for somebody to want the better camera MUST be a gear head or some other degrading sarcastic name you can come up with. Why not call them smart shoppers for buying the BETTER camera for them? Instead they need to be called a name because the ALL those areas the D850 is superior to the 5div are MEANINGLESS "to you".

I have had canon bodies since my AE-1 and if somebody wasn't stuck in the canon eco system no way would I recommend them to choose a canon camera over anything else out right now. If you are not stuck in the eco system why would anybody recommend an inferior camera?
I was given my 5diii and had a choice if wanted it or the D810. I took the 5diii simply because I had flash triggers based on canon bodies. It was the wrong choice, looking back i wish would have went with the D810.
Anymore every 3-4 years canon comes out with a 3 year old camera. In 3 years or so canon will come out with a 5d5 that MIGHT catch up to the 3 year old D850 just as long as its not a threat to any other CANON cameras. Canon isnt designing or building cameras to compete with Nikon or Sony anymore, they are busy building cameras that dont compete "to well" with their own bodies.

Yet if somebody does not embrace the the inferior camera they must be a gear head, they must not know how to shoot or the reason they chose it over another camera are meaningless. There is a name for insulting people like that and its nothing to be proud of.

Pigpen101
602 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 24, 2017 09:53 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #221

Maybe the difference is the lack of AA filter in the Nikon?? I also found it interesting that you can get an extra 2 fps w/ the Nikon using a certain battery.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2017 10:13 |  #222

I think the added battery grip does that. Its pretty common with nikon bodies.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Pigpen101
602 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Dec 24, 2017 10:20 |  #223

elitejp wrote in post #18525363 (external link)
I think the added battery grip does that. Its pretty common with nikon bodies.

It's which battery you use in the grip.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ery.html/pageID​/accessory (external link)

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 24, 2017 10:29 |  #224

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18525367 (external link)
It's which battery you use in the grip.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …ery.html/pageID​/accessory (external link)

The bigger battery allows for a higher current draw. I am guessing the shutter motor needs more current to run at higher speeds and the only way it can get that boost in current is to use the battery grip which has a much bigger battery in it.

Ronin1
157 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 24, 2017 10:42 |  #225

Interesting thread! I have heavily invested in m4/3 system recently and have been happy with the results. I do have some “old” Canon Gear but have been lured back towards the DSLR world for better low light performance and DR. The D850 and 5Dm4 are in my sights along with Sony offerings. I think that I’m in the scenario of your question and I think if it’s not Sony (not a lot of lens offerings and don’t want to use adapters) I am really leaning towards the 850 for the newer technology that is currently in the body even though I know it will be outdated soon. I just think for me it’ll be the best value.

sponsored links

22,827 views & 222 likes for this thread
You've got no gear at all - Would you get a 5DMKIV or D850
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.