Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stalking vs. Waiting ... tips for a wildlife newbie

hobowriter
118 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 10, 2018 22:20 as a reply to  @ post 18539237 |  #46

It's not very elegant, but I shoot a lot from the window of a Toyota Tundra. Around farms and ranches, deer and sometimes bear are somewhat used to vehicles and if you stop easily and don't get out, they often will let you get a photo. This year, I have got photos of seven grizzly bears (not counting what I saw in Yellowstone or other parks) from the vehicle, and in the past have gotten wolves, coyotes, eagles and black bears, and gobs of elk on the rural roads around my home.
Also, driving around on rural roads often gives you an idea of where the animals are active, and you can return and perhaps move off road and set up some sort of hide in the case of deer.

I spend a lot of time gawking around boggy areas because they are havens for so many of the smaller birds and animals.

Also, I never leave the house without a decent binocular, 6 magnification is my favorite because it has so much depth of field. Look for indicators- If there are magpies bunched up, there is likely carcass or other attraction and maybe a hawk or eagle there or a coyote.

I try to always have one camera set on full automatic sitting beside set on a relatively high ISO, because its' common to have something flit out of nowhere with no time to check camera setting.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 10, 2018 22:34 |  #47

hobowriter wrote in post #18561142 (external link)
This year, I have got photos of seven grizzly bears (not counting what I saw in Yellowstone or other parks) from the vehicle, and in the past have gotten wolves, coyotes, eagles and black bears, and gobs of elk on the rural roads around my home.

That is incredible! . Especially to find Grizzlies along the roads that are not in a park!

And of course, it begs the question, where is it that you live?

I'd love to see some of your roadside photos. . Some of my best wildlife photos have also come from within my vehicle.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 11, 2018 21:02 |  #48

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18561145 (external link)
That is incredible! . Especially to find Grizzlies along the roads that are not in a park!

And of course, it begs the question, where is it that you live?

I'd love to see some of your roadside photos. . Some of my best wildlife photos have also come from within my vehicle.

I live in in western Montana. There are a couple places where there are a lot of grizzlies, and we saw one the first night, and a mother and two cubs the next day. At another place, perhaps 200 miles from there, we saw three different grizzlies in one evening.
I go at photography a little differently, I think. My main interest is in observing animals, and I use the pictures to document and remember the best times. Some of my (actually 'our', my better half is my willing partner in adventure) pictures are technically terrible, but evoke great memories.
I'll try to post a couple.

Thanks for the comments.

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 11, 2018 21:16 |  #49

/Users/fredroyce/Deskt​op/widow shot - 1.jpg

We got to watch this old girl and her two cubs for about 30 minutes. At the closest point, she was about 200 yards from us. Sorry that I don't have metadata handy, this might have even been shot with our Canon SX 50, which has saved a lot of quick encounters.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 11, 2018 21:24 |  #50

This picture was probably our biggest stroke of luck ever. We were on a road trip in Canada, and went cruising back roads on day. A local resident had stopped in the road, and seemed to be excited about seeing something. We couldn't imagine what would get a local excited, since bear, moose deer and other things are common. When we got closer, he said "cat" and pointed in the woods, or "bush" as they call it.This lynx was squatting, watching us watch her, and finally she crossed the road rather nonchalantly.The local fellow said there were two other lynx that we didn't see, so it was apparently a mother with young. Never had even had hopes of seeing a wild lynx./Users/fredroyce/​Desktop/widow shot - 1 (1).jpg

HOSTED PHOTO

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 11, 2018 21:34 |  #51

HOSTED PHOTO

This picture is likely to draw some well deserved scoffs, but it is somewhat more typical of many pictures that we get to to remind ourselves of what we really saw-
This was at dusk, and my better half who is an incredible game spotter, spotted this grizzly (the brown lump in the upper left hand corner of the picture) grazing in a field with cattle.
Not sure what I shot this with either. My main camera is a Canon 5D MK II with a 100 to 400 Canon dust pump on it. Shooting in the fall I was able to get pictures of rutting elk in some pretty poor light.
This forum has convinced me that a Canon 7D MKII is the ultimate, especially for birds, and I have one coming from Abe's of Maine. Thanks for looking.

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 11, 2018 22:56 |  #52

hobowriter, if I were living in your area and traveling the paths you are, well, I'd probably feel more justified in getting a 7D ll with at least the 100-400 ll or possibly a big white prime, 500 or 600. I'm at the point right now that I have all I need but if a Grizz, Wolf, Elk or Moose were possibly just a short drive from the house I'd leave wish lists for xmas all over the house.

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 12, 2018 20:30 |  #53

Grizz1 wrote in post #18561815 (external link)
hobowriter, if I were living in your area and traveling the paths you are, well, I'd probably feel more justified in getting a 7D ll with at least the 100-400 ll or possibly a big white prime, 500 or 600. I'm at the point right now that I have all I need but if a Grizz, Wolf, Elk or Moose were possibly just a short drive from the house I'd leave wish lists for xmas all over the house.

Looking at your equipment, I think you are better off than I am in terms of lens and bodies. I have just started using my 60d and think it is a TERRIFIC camera. I am not sure why it has gotten a bad rap in some quarters.
As tempting as new lenses/cameras are, sometimes money spent on trade can upgrade our photo library more than a title more pixels in a black box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Tom Reichner. (3 edits in all)

Feb 12, 2018 20:36 |  #54

hobowriter wrote in post #18562443 (external link)
As tempting as new lenses/cameras are, sometimes money spent on trade can upgrade our photo library more than a title more pixels in a black box.

This seems like it may be a very interesting statement, but I must admit that I'm not sure that I now what you mean. . What do you mean by "money spent on trade"?

The phrase confuses me, because usually when you trade something, you are not spending money - instead you are trading goods that you already have, of services that you can provide. . I have always thought of "trade" as the opposite of spending money (a.k.a. "buying").

Any clarification as to the way you use this term would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'd also like to know what you mean by "title". . You used this in a very different way than that in which I am accustomed to seeing the word used.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

hobowriter
118 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 13, 2018 17:03 |  #55

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18562446 (external link)
This seems like it may be a very interesting statement, but I must admit that I'm not sure that I now what you mean. . What do you mean by "money spent on trade"?

The phrase confuses me, because usually when you trade something, you are not spending money - instead you are trading goods that you already have, of services that you can provide. . I have always thought of "trade" as the opposite of spending money (a.k.a. "buying").

Any clarification as to the way you use this term would be appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'd also like to know what you mean by "title". . You used this in a very different way than that in which I am accustomed to seeing the word used.

Sincere and robust apologies from me!
There are words in that statement that I have no idea where they came from. What I was trying to say is that sometimes a few hundred bucks spent on travel might do more to upgrade one's library of photographs than a lens that overlaps some capabilities that one already has.

My old key board would sometimes jump my cursor back three or four sentences and when I tried typing while tired I'd forget to edit carefully. Again, I am sorry.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
16,706 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 13, 2018 19:06 as a reply to  @ hobowriter's post |  #56

So "trade" should be "travel." There's still a question about "title." Title ––> little? "A little more pixels"? That is, a few more pixels?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2018 09:28 |  #57

Thanks for the clarification - I appreciate it.

hobowriter wrote in post #18563061 (external link)
What I was trying to say is that sometimes a few hundred bucks spent on travel might do more to upgrade one's library of photographs than a lens that overlaps some capabilities that one already has.

I completely agree with this. . In fact, I am still shooting with a 7 year old 1D4, and I just added a 5 year old 6D as a backup. . And I bought all of my lenses used, and they are old - discontinued models, except for the 100-400 v2 (which I did buy used).

I had wanted to - and even planned to - upgrade to a 5D4 this year, but November's deer photography took me much further from home than I had expected, and a chance to go to Alaska popped up (for this coming June) ...... so that 5D4 just isn't going to happen. . As you say, it is primarily the travel that will enable one to amass more good wildlife photos, not better gear.

sponsored links

5,358 views & 102 likes for this thread
Stalking vs. Waiting ... tips for a wildlife newbie
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.